Oppo Camp The Western™️ Watch

Remove this Banner Ad

the simpsons animation GIF

We might have to leave a few cat heads in PGs bed tonight to teach her a lesson.

It is going to be a mess for a few weeks but that's because they've failed to enforce the rule properly for 5 years. The only aspect I feel sorry for Ginnivan in is that this should have been cleaned up when Rhys Matheson and Toby McLean entered the comp and started using this move every time they got the ball.

There will definitely be some bad calls both ways over the next few weeks but I'll happily take that over bullshit high free kicks being paid regularly.

It is going to be a mess for a few weeks but that's because they've failed to enforce the rule properly for 5 years. The only aspect I feel sorry for Ginnivan in is that this should have been cleaned up when Rhys Matheson and Toby McLean entered the comp and started using this move every time they got the ball.

There will definitely be some bad calls both ways over the next few weeks but I'll happily take that over bullshit high free kicks being paid regularly.
Think it's because Ginnivan was popular and the focus of media attention. Mathiesons debut when he won 6 high frees should have been the right there. Never been more angry watching a game.

Think it's because Ginnivan was popular and the focus of media attention. Mathiesons debut when he won 6 high frees should have been the right there. Never been more angry watching a game.
and you've probably never been more suspended then you were a few days later

I'm not sure how the "yOu jUST hAve to tacKLe lowEr" crowd have held sway on this for so long. It's exactly the same as ducking, no difference at all in intent.

It's been bloody obvious what the tactic is for years, players going from standing position to both knees on the ground and side of the head into the tackler in a split second. You can aim for the knees and still get them high once they put themselves in that position.

and you've probably never been more suspended then you were a few days later
Nah about 3x more just this year I think but it's a great parallel because Mathieson couldn't handle the heat he brought on himself the exact same as blandster

I'm not sure how the "yOu jUST hAve to tacKLe lowEr" crowd have held sway on this for so long. It's exactly the same as ducking, no difference at all in intent.

It's been bloody obvious what the tactic is for years, players going from standing position to both knees on the ground and side of the head into the tackler in a split second. You can aim for the knees and still get them high once they put themselves in that position.
Would be the same as if a bloke gets nudged in the back and dives forward and the same crowd says well he should never have laid a hand on him in the first place. Fuccck of campaignerd

I must be on my own again, I reckon we'll smash them this week. They checked out of season in the second round.
Maybe they'll turn up this weekend but they've been weak as piss all year, only way I can see them put in an effort is if we s**t the bed for three quarters.

Biggest downhill skiers in the AFL.

It'll just take one serious neck injury or someone to end up as a paraplegic and the AFL will get sued if it's not stamped out of the game.
Just like the CTE shitstorm that's surely about to happen.

It’s just weird timing to call it all out now. Go back to when Selwood started doing it, Toby McLean started doing the arm raise and knee buckle. It’s a blight on the game that the AFL has been turning a blind eye to for years and they crack down 6 weeks out from a finals series.

Conspiracy theory vibes, but I don’t like the lack of independence between the Scott twins in their roles. They’ve been singing from the same hymn book all year when it comes to the rules.

It’s just weird timing to call it all out now. Go back to when Selwood started doing it, Toby McLean started doing the arm raise and knee buckle. It’s a blight on the game that the AFL has been turning a blind eye to for years and they crack down 6 weeks out from a finals series.

Conspiracy theory vibes, but I don’t like the lack of independence between the Scott twins in their roles. They’ve been singing from the same hymn book all year when it comes to the rules.
The whole "Selwood gets a lot of high frees because he's such a tough player who puts his head over the ball" line that commentators always used to run with (and Beveridge rolled back out today) was absolutely maddening. Any idiot could see that no one was ever criticising Selwood for how he went about winning the footy and those were never the high frees people complained about.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I must be on my own again, I reckon we'll smash them this week. They checked out of season in the second round.
Maybe they'll turn up this weekend but they've been weak as piss all year, only way I can see them put in an effort is if we s**t the bed for three quarters.

Biggest downhill skiers in the AFL.
Nah I'm with ya matey floggys suck. Especially now the AFL has taken away their best score source

Ok I've caught up with the news.

Bevo is going down the Mick Malthouse route, just ripping into journalists, the AFL now. What a mad campaigner.
Reeks of sookyness that he's having a bitch and moan about the rules, probably upset all the "coaching" he's done has been for vain. Real average look especially after every other coach comes out and says "great job AFL".

What a ******* embarrassment.

I'm a bit sad the AFL is trying to cut down on milking head-high frees I really want to see someone like Stevie May rip Codey Weightman's head off.

stiff s**t, dont drop to your knees when tackled and you dont have anything to worry about.

Have you played footy? If you change direction your centre of gravity gets lower, naturally playing the game you can’t stay at the same height when someone is trying to tackle you. That’s the point that’s getting made, frees will start getting paid against people getting tackled trying to evade or change directions. It’s going to be a mess like the insufficient attempt BS.

Have you played footy? If you change direction your centre of gravity gets lower, naturally playing the game you can’t stay at the same height when someone is trying to tackle you. That’s the point that’s getting made, frees will start getting paid against people getting tackled trying to evade or change directions. It’s going to be a mess like the insufficient attempt BS.

When I played footy we used to stay on our feet to evade tackles, which was the style at the time.

When I played footy we used to stay on our feet to evade tackles, which was the style at the time.

Where did I say anything about diving? Should be pretty clear what I meant but I’ll elaborate further.

Someone is about to tackle you shoulder height, you change direction to evade said tackle, your head is now at the height your shoulders were, high tackle. Free kick can (and will) get paid against a player now for that. Make sense now?

Where did I say anything about diving? Should be pretty clear what I meant but I’ll elaborate further.

Someone is about to tackle you shoulder height, you change direction to evade said tackle, your head is now at the height your shoulders were, high tackle. Free kick can (and will) get paid against a player now for that. Make sense now?

You quoted a post saying players shouldn't drop to their knees and responded "Have you played footy?"

The scenario you describe has literally nothing to do with the clarification the AFL has provided.

Make sense now?

I think Beveridge is willfully ignorant and Schofield misses the point. Schofield is saying umpires have to try and figure out what's going on in the players head. They absolutely don't, they just have to look at the tackle and determine whether the player being tackled contributed to the high contact by moving the tacklers arm or lowering themselves into the tackle, that's no harder for an umpire than watching for whether the player took the tackler on or made an attempt to get rid of the ball.

I don’t like the diving and staging either but I can’t believe how much faith everyone has in the rule tweaks made in 5 mins by Brad Scott and Gill- the brains trust. It’s going to create more problems than it will fix, believe that.

You quoted a post saying players shouldn't drop to their knees and responded "Have you played footy?"

The scenario you describe has literally nothing to do with the clarification the AFL has provided.

Make sense now?

It’s up to the umpire to decide whether they are intentionally trying to get high contact and as Schofield said work out what the player is thinking and trying to do. The scenario is entirely relevant.

It’s not just going to be obvious Ginnivan and Weightman frees paid, there’s going to be loads of ridiculous ones too. It will probably be a 15 minute segment on Footy Classified next week.

It’s up to the umpire to decide whether they are intentionally trying to get high contact and as Schofield said work out what the player is thinking and trying to do. The scenario is entirely relevant.

It’s not just going to be obvious Ginnivan and Weightman frees paid, there’s going to be loads of ridiculous ones too. It will probably be a 15 minute segment on Footy Classified next week.

Everyone agrees there will be some wrong decisions made as the umpires adjust to actually adjudicating the rule as it's been written for years.

But the rule is explicitly about dropping at the knees and/or shrugging an otherwise legal tackle upwards. It's not about what players are thinking, it's about whether they actually do those things. It's not about players being allowed to get whacked in the head just because they've side-stepped to try and evade a tackle.

Think the vast majority of fans understand they are targeting the Ginnivan/Matheson/McLean move and are happy that the AFL are no longer going to be rewarding it.

Na never played footy in an era where I felt the need to evade tackles by dropping to my knees, thank Christ, if you did that rubbish in my era you'd have risked getting yourself a broken jaw and it would be nobodies fault but your own. Nothing like a broken jaw to teach someone a valuable lesson.

When required we evaded tackles with sidestep's and don't argues, not by trying to exploit rules and look for cheap frees.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back