Preview The Western Bulldogs Brownlow Thread 2019

King Harold

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 23, 2013
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Cleveland Indians
Great post Dogwatch. One other Bulldog story worthy of inclusion, imo, is the 1969 Brownlow involving Bulldog George Bisset. The 1969 Brownlow was won by Fitzroy's Kevin Murray with 19 votes with Bisset second on 18 votes. Bisset had a BOG against Carlton ( I think it was) in the final round of the season. Unfortunately he was reported for striking during the game. In those days the umpires were instructed not to give votes to a reported player due to the "fairest" aspect of the award. Bisset was acquitted at the subsequent tribunal hearing but the votes would not be recast and the Brownlow was gone. The then VFL subsequently changed the directive to not give votes to reported players but to late, no Charlie for Georgie. More injustice for the Dogs.

All correct old mate except Wee Georgie was lucky to get off. Was at that game , Georgie came in to more than fly the flag after Bert Thornley smashed Pagnocolo .
We had a big win that day , I think Bisset kicked 6 , Charlie got 5.
You wouldn’t know it to look at but Georgie was a gun , one greats for this club.

Not that I rate the stat, but what is the Metres gained difference? I'm sure I saw something where Cripps, probably due to all the handballing, barely gains any distance in the games. Bont was regularly up in the 500m mark most of the season. I don't disagree with anyone that Cripps is a good player, I just don't think he is that damaging that he deserved to poll so many votes in losing games. Maybe it rose coloured glasses, but I think his team mate Walsh is a much better player

Because he’s so good at winning the ball & consistently doing it, he’s rated very highly. The game they beat us he had 37 possessions (16 contested), but only 5 kicks & 83 metres gained. Damaging in a way if he can get it to someone else to do something with it, but that doesn’t scream influence at me for 7 score involvements out of 26

Sep 27, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Because he’s so good at winning the ball & consistently doing it, he’s rated very highly. The game they beat us he had 37 possessions (16 contested), but only 5 kicks & 83 metres gained. Damaging in a way if he can get it to someone else to do something with it, but that doesn’t scream influence at me for 7 score involvements out of 26

See Tom Mitchell. Heaps of the ball, not much done with it.

Jan 1, 2015
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Cripps is a special player. No doubt about that. But playing for Carlton, being the saviour of Carlton, being so far ahead of anyone else at his club it’s not funny, the young captain of Carlton, being loyal to Carlton, being a great bloke, having a huge profile because of all that does elevate him above others statistically doing pretty much the same as him. If Jack Macrae was playing at Carlton, Collingwood, Richmond or Essendon he would have been a 3 time AA by now instead of just coming out from behind his cloak of invisibility. It was the same with Westy, Johnno and Grant who were downplayed compared to higher profile players.

Statistically Cripps is pretty much matched in most categories by Clayton Oliver, Dunkley, ( Fyfe but he’s already considered in the upper echelon so discount) Neale, Macrae, Bont ( is moving into rarified space other than the ridiculous downplay in votes in MVP) and plenty of clubs had players who got the ball more than him. But clearances and contested possessions trump all else in today’s analysis which means Cripps has a vote before the game even starts.

Again absolute superstar but his big team profile helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All correct old mate except Wee Georgie was lucky to get off. Was at that game , Georgie came in to more than fly the flag after Bert Thornley smashed Pagnocolo .
We had a big win that day , I think Bisset kicked 6 , Charlie got 5.
You wouldn’t know it to look at but Georgie was a gun , one greats for this club.
50 years ago! You must have only been a prince back then.

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Top Three Plus Total Votes For Every Team:

Adelaide:
B. Crouch 14
M. Crouch 8
R. Sloane 7
Total = 29, Team Total = 53.

Brisbane:
L. Neale 26
D. Zorko 19
J. Lyons 13
Total = 58, Team Total = 90.

Carlton:
P. Cripps 26
M. Murphy 6
S. Walsh 6
Total = 38, Team Total = 60.

Collingwood:
B. Grundy 23
A. Treloar 18
S. Pendlebury 14
Total = 55, Team Total = 81.

Essendon:
Z. Merrett 16
D. Shiel 14
A. Mcdonald-Tipungwuti 8
Total = 38, Team Total = 58.

Fremantle:
N. Fyfe 33
M. Walters 11
D. Mundy 8
Total = 52, Team Total = 69.

Geelong:
P. Dangerfield 27
T. Kelly 24
G. Ablett 13
Total = 64, Team Total = 90.

Gold Coast:
D. Swallow 7
J. Martin 5
T. Miller 5
Total = 17, Team Total = 22.

Greater Western Sydney:
S. Coniglio 17
J. Cameron 13
L. Whitfield 12
Total = 42, Team Total = 84.

Hawthorn:
J. O'Meara 11
R. Henderson 10
J. Worpel 10
Total = 31, Team Total = 67.

Melbourne:
M. Gawn 17
C. Oliver 12
T. McDonald 6
Total = 35, Team Total = 47.

North Melbourne:
S. Higgins 18
J. Ziebell 10
B. Cunnington 10
Total = 38, Team Total = 68.

Port Adelaide:
T. Boak 16
R. Gray 10
T. Rockliff 7
Total = 33, Team Total = 66.

Richmond:
D. Martin 23
B. Houli 11
D. Prestia 8
Total = 42, Team Total = 72.

St Kilda:
S. Ross 12
J. Billings 11
R. Marshall 7
Total = 30, Team Total = 53.

Sydney:
L. Parker 16
J. Kennedy 9
I. Heeney 6
Total = 31, Team Total = 53.

West Coast:
E. Yeo 17
L. Shuey 15
A. Gaff 13
Total = 45, Team Total = 74.

Western Bulldogs:
J. Macrae 22
M. Bontempelli 22
J. Dunkley 15
Total = 59, Team Total = 81.

What can we learn from this, one there are too many teams and two dog-watch will sweep in with
a differential ladder plus percentage of the total vote to illustrate the value of depth alongside
top end talent. People will argue and rightfully so that Brownlow Votes are not a true illustration
of depth and are actually a distorted view of the game.

Last edited:

Yojimbo

Cancelled
10k Posts
Nov 14, 2012
The "Elephant" in the room.
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
All Australian Team (Spread of votes):

Back Six : 22 Votes (Houli 11)

Middle Six : 154 Votes

Forward Six : 75 Votes (Dangerfield 27)

Interchange Four : 70 Votes

It's an outrage, well not really just a representation of modern day slavery.

Back