• Total voters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
The name is a traditional football name? The name's that suck in the A-League are the likes of Brisbane, Victory, Perth, Wellington, formerly Melbourne Heart.
I think it's the nondescript "Western" part that everyone takes grievance with, rather than the "United" part.

Wyndham United would be 1000% times better than Western United.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
I think it's the nondescript "Western" part that everyone take grievance with, rather than the "United" part.

Wyndham United would be 1000% times better than Western United.
Yeah, that's fair. I still think it's an okay name in a league with names like "Melbourne Victory" and "Perth Glory" which, simply put, suck ass.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
The name is a traditional football name? The name's that suck in the A-League are the likes of Brisbane, Victory, Perth, Wellington, formerly Melbourne Heart.
Western Utd is a traditional name? The Utd part true but the "Western"?

At least those clubs you mentioned are locations not a film category.

eth-dog

Premium Gold
Jan 11, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Coburg Lions, All Boston sides
Western Utd is a traditional name? The Utd part true but the "Western"?

At least those clubs you mentioned are locations not a film category.
The other names are terrible. Like the worst. Western United is an okay name, yes, Wyndham United would have been better but Brisbane Roar is horrible, as are the others I mentioned.

giggler99

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory, Napoli, Liverpool, Pens
I think Western United is an ok name however "Western Melbourne/Victoria United" would've been better
It's a hard one. On one hand it works because they ain't playing in Melbourne for the first few years but on the other hand they ain't anything but a Melbourne club. Certainly they are not a Geelong team or any other regional town team. So what do you call them? it'll be interesting if they add a Melbourne to the name once the stadium is built. (if built)

They went with Western not only because they represent the western regional areas, but because the name also worked with Footscray when they changed to the Western Bulldogs. But the Bulldlogs had history, support and engagement in the area for over a 100 years so you can't really compare or expect the some community response and engagement. It really just was a cheap and easy option with not much thoughtout other than were from the west so lets call ourselves Western and add a 'Soccer' term in United.

Last edited:

Elmer_Judd

#Teague2020
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
Don't you follow the Wanderers?

May want to look at your own logo..

The name sucks though.
The WUFC kits are mint though !

Anyhow I don't think they should play home games in Geelong for much longer, I know it takes time for them to build a new stadium, but even Ultras from Werribee/Tarneit way hate going to Geelong.

I would have called the team Western Melbourne Hammers myself btw.

Minka Beaver

Club Legend
Feb 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Everton
The name is rubbish - anything is better than Western United. Unlike City and Victory, they’re meant to be a heartland club and need a heartland name...but they may never make it to play in that heartland.

It all boils down to whether or not the stadium at Tarneit gets built. If they can’t get a financier to support it, then the licence will head elsewhere. If the stadium is built, then it will be on the back of other tenants getting involved - it’s unviable if it’s only used 10-12 times a year - and someone getting the surrounding land sold off for residential use.

I want this to work. Australian football can’t get better if it only has nine professional teams and Victoria needs a third side. And the colours, kit and original playing roster are great, so that’s exciting. But geez the business plan is built on matchsticks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

typeclub

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2012
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Western United Football Club
Wtf mate. The admins haven't even added WUFC to the teams allocated to A-League in profile editor. Lets riot!

Who are the mods around here? FFS

meltiger

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
The WUFC kits are mint though !

Anyhow I don't think they should play home games in Geelong for much longer, I know it takes time for them to build a new stadium, but even Ultras from Werribee/Tarneit way hate going to Geelong.

I would have called the team Western Melbourne Hammers myself btw.
I’ll be much happier once they are up and running in Tarneit, but the trip down to Geelong isn’t completely horrible. I’ve been down to all 3 games.

Anyone living in Werribee, Wyndham Vale, Tarneit it’s no longer to South Geelong than it would be to say AAMI. I got on a train that left around 9.45/9.50 & got off at Wyndham Vale at 10.15

Football on an Aussie Rules ground sucks though.

As someone from the West, it will be great to have a club based on our corner of Melbourne. Hopefully the club is able to make itself a success.

& if TypeClub is indeed a Wanderers fan ... EAD 🙂

meltiger

Premiership Player
Sep 28, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
YNWA
I’d say that 4K will keep going. At least the Geelong games. How they build on that is the key.

They shouldn’t have had them playing until the stadium got built (if it gets built)

They need to get into Melbourne.

General Giant

Hall of Famer
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS

Top Bottom