The Western United Thread

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Victory,Napoli,Liverpool,Penguins
Western United FC unveil logo

Western United FC have taken the next step towards their maiden season in the Hyundai A-League after unveiling the club’s logo.
The Hyundai A-League’s newest club made the announcement on Tuesday morning as they gear up towards their inaugural season in the competition in 2019/20.
It comes after the club unveiled their official name and colours in February.

The club had been consulting with their fan base for several months before opting to go with a design that focuses on the ‘W’ as the main design element.
“We have listened to our fans and have created a brand identity which is contemporary and modern, and arguably non-traditional for a football club logo,” Western United FC CEO Maurice Bisetto said.
“This is our point of difference as we go about building a club for the future, not built on legacy, but reflecting a growing multicultural fan base that are very proud of their geographic Western roots.”

https://www.a-league.com.au/news/western-united-FC-unveil-logo

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
I give it a 6/10. I know this has been flogged to death by the name is so stupid. Why not just Western Melbourne or Geelong?

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I give it a 6/10. I know this has been flogged to death by the name is so stupid. Why not just Western Melbourne or Geelong?

Because they are not a Geelong team and they won't be playing anywhere near Melbourne for the first four to five years. Even when the stadium is built Wyndham is some 30km away from the heart of Melbourne.

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Because they are not a Geelong team and they won't be playing anywhere near Melbourne for the first four to five years. Even when the stadium is built Wyndham is some 30km away from the heart of Melbourne.
I'm hoping that once the stadium is built they'll re-name to "Wyndham United" in the hopes that their "Western" branding has served its purpose and pulled in some of the Bendigo, Ballarat and Geelong football catchment. Cast a wide net to start and then consolidate on a clearly-defined area once established.

See the "Queensland" to "Brisbane" Roar re-brand for example (obviously ignoring the Gold Coast and North Queensland influence in that instance).

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
I'll put my hand up and say I will be following Western United.

I followed Melbourne Heart, and I tried to follow City when the CFG takeover occurred, as "Melbourne City" was the name I originally wanted Heart to use. But after the takeover the only thing that the two clubs' had in common was that they shared the same licence. I still remember the exact moment when I realised Heart was truly dead and I lost any remaining emotional connection to the entity that had replaced Heart.

As a side note, I am pretty excited at the prospect of watching regular A-League games in a boutique, football-specific stadium.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
I'll put my hand up and say I will be following Western United.

I followed Melbourne Heart, and I tried to follow City when the CFG takeover occurred, as "Melbourne City" was the name I originally wanted Heart to use. But after the takeover the only thing that the two clubs' had in common was that they shared the same licence. I still remember the exact moment when I realised Heart was truly dead and I lost any remaining emotional connection to the entity that had replaced Heart.

As a side note, I am pretty excited at the prospect of watching regular A-League games in a boutique, football-specific stadium.

Just out of curiosity what was the moment?

Blackout

All Australian
Apr 1, 2009
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Just out of curiosity what was the moment?
Firstly, I acknowledge the absurdity of the below – but emotional attachment isn’t really something that can be rationalised.

There were two key points that left a bad taste in my mouth regarding City. Whilst the actual final event was insignificant, it was a culmination of the repeated contempt and ‘blue-washing’ that CFG showed toward everything Heart over the previous few years.

The first point was when they introduced 'City Blue'-coloured numbers to the re-purposed red and white Heart ‘away’ kits – with no effort to reciprocate and integrate red into any facet of the club's actual home identity. So not even the last vestige of Heart (our colours) could be left untouched without being twisted by our Manchester overlords.

It reinforced the point that CFG perceived Heart as nothing but an inconvenient past and were taking the first steps toward gradually phasing Heart out (at one point the official club position on Melbourne Heart was "the club that would later become Melbourne City").

The last straw, and when I totally separated myself from the club was when City won the FFA Cup and the confetti was pure sky blue – no white, and no red. Whilst only a minor gesture, it would have been a great way to acknowledge the years of mediocrity and loyalty shown by the long-suffering Heart fans. But instead, it was used to promote the CFG stable’s colours.

I've tried to put that in writing a few times and always stop myself as it comes off sounding daft, but yes, that's essentially it.

Jul 5, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Firstly, I acknowledge the absurdity of the below – but emotional attachment isn’t really something that can be rationalised.

There were two key points that left a bad taste in my mouth regarding City. Whilst the actual final event was insignificant, it was a culmination of the repeated contempt and ‘blue-washing’ that CFG showed toward everything Heart over the previous few years.

The first point was when they introduced 'City Blue'-coloured numbers to the re-purposed red and white Heart ‘away’ kits – with no effort to reciprocate and integrate red into any facet of the club's actual home identity. So not even the last vestige of Heart (our colours) could be left untouched without being twisted by our Manchester overlords.

It reinforced the point that CFG perceived Heart as nothing but an inconvenient past and were taking the first steps toward gradually phasing Heart out (at one point the official club position on Melbourne Heart was "the club that would later become Melbourne City").

The last straw, and when I totally separated myself from the club was when City won the FFA Cup and the confetti was pure sky blue – no white, and no red. Whilst only a minor gesture, it would have been a great way to acknowledge the years of mediocrity and loyalty shown by the long-suffering Heart fans. But instead, it was used to promote the CFG stable’s colours.

I've tried to put that in writing a few times and always stop myself as it comes off sounding daft, but yes, that's essentially it.

Not at all, Good to get it off your chest, I'd say a lot of people would understand especially all the old Heart fans. Hope Western United will give you a more joyious esperience and attachment. But not to much success;)

As long as you haven't distance yourself away from the game that's the most important part. Despite your bad experience with Heart/CFG/City you're still willing to support the league and the game in Australia by continuing support. and please continue to share those experience's with your new club on this board too. Western United wasn't my choice to enter the A-league but now that it's here we need it to work. Hopefuly fans like you can go a long way to making that happen.

Last edited:

Roos4eva

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2003
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool FC, Western United FC
I'll put my hand up too and say that I'll be supporting Western United, formerly Heart/City.

Very similar feelings to the above post, the last two years have been the final straw.

As soon as I knew about the original Victorian Patriots bid before it then became Western Melbourne I was following it closely.

Looking back, I still find it amazing we got the bid ahead of Team 11 as I was convinced they were going to come in.

There's no point in harping on about Heart/City, I was always more passionate about Heart but could see that even in their final season that something had to give.

To me, Western United has the chance to be everything that Heart promised to be, but even better and more local for me personally.

Can't wait for next season already, three teams in Victoria is a wonderful thing and I genuinely hope City can get their s**t together. Sacking Joyce is a start.

Yeah, I think I'm crossing over. I hate Victory supporters with a passion so when an alternative to them came up I took it immediately, and stuck through the City years because it really was the lesser of two evils. Now that Western United (which I think is a good name, a traditional football name) exists I'll be supporting them.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
I just hope that a stadium actually comes to fruition because if it doesn't five years from now the same fans who left City to support this club will end up leaving Western United (and rightly so). The fact that nothing new has been mentioned about any specifics of the new stadium since the announcement of the license is of great concern. If they haven't started works by the beginning of 2020 then I'm not sure it'll start at all.

craigos

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 2, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
gr2pv5va2ay21.jpg

Ummmmmm. So this is the fans version of Ala Carte or whatever the club supporters group was. Good times.

Back