The what if thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon fans will probably call me stupid but to go with the out of the box suggestions what if the 2000 GF was played with the rules of 2017? I reckon that young Melbourne side would have had a chance against the bombers but as was the way footy was played back then they just belted us into submission with Brad Green and Troy Simmons getting taking out illegally.
Its stupid because what is the outcome now for the Long hit vs. back then? He got weeks. That's still the punishment now, wouldn't have changed the outcome.

Essendon fans will probably call me stupid but to go with the out of the box suggestions what if the 2000 GF was played with the rules of 2017? I reckon that young Melbourne side would have had a chance against the bombers but as was the way footy was played back then they just belted us into submission with Brad Green and Troy Simmons getting taking out illegally.
I hate Essendon with every bone in my body but they still would've thrashed you, be thankful they kicked s**t that day or Geelongs 119 would be the 2nd highest GF margin, and yes i am saying that IF Essendon kicked straight in the first half they would've won by 120+.

One for Geelong:

What if the AFL bowed to lobbying/Fox Sports and played the 17 QF at Kardinia Park. Win that and get GWS (also @ KP if precedent hold) and Crows get Richmond in Adelaide in a PF instead of the G.

We still would've won. :D;) and for the bolded, who Dwayne Russell LOL

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What if Rooch had applied the same blind spot to the Crows' first father-son as he did to Port's first father-son?

Bryce Gibbs could have had a decent career and we'd have rolled on from 2005-2006 for a couple more years to be challenging the top 4.

Daisy Thomas tackle on Rioli prelim 2011. What a ****en beauty that was. What if Thomas didn't run him down. Rioli should have been more aware. Hawks might have won, then we would have beat them in the granny instead of The pies:D

Jokes. Free kick Hawthorn.
Three big moments in the dying minutes of that game:

1. Buddy goal from the boundary was bloody amazing. May have even put us in front.
2. Daisy tackle on rioli
3. Luke Ball snap and goal.

We would have won if either of those last two didn’t happen. Just couldn’t hold
Them down.

Was an amazing game of footy to be at.

What if Ottens (or Mooney) kicked those goals in the 2008 GF?

Probably still overrun by the Hawks in the 3rd.
As a hawks fan I was stunned by those two moments. Was way to edgy to think it was going to open the door for us.

In retrospect it shows that the cats were rattled that day. Real momentum killing moments both of them.

Dogs win in 2016 was not just one of my favourite footy moments ever, but sporting moments ever.

No one desered to end the drought more. That was on end of the most stirring wins, and final campaigns I've ever witnessed.

Probably the best in actual fact. Just freakishly good.

**** that sounded like a cross between Mcavaney and Dwayne Russell.
Mcawayney?

In retrospect it shows that the cats were rattled that day. Real momentum killing moments both of them.
It was a devastating compounding effect. Every miss meaning rushed and pressured decisions.

Still painful to watch.

if lucas hadnt gone nuts in last quarter of rnd 22 in 07

- wc finish 2nd on % and host port instead of other way
- more then likely win and cousins not do hammy
- week off to freshen up then play north at home in prelim instead of extra time final and run out of legs
- play geelong in their 3rd grand final in a row and have judd fresher considering week off and light prelim vs north. grand final hardened team vs cats probably wouldnt of been 117
For the record Port finished 1.5% ahead of WC on the ladder (about 9 goals) and played after them so would have known what margin they needed to finish 2nd.

For Port Adelaide in 2000, sitting bottom after round 12 with one win after getting thrashed by the Saints, we could have just thrown the season and had Pick 1 in the draft. Nick Riewoldt.
Playing alongside Warren Tredrea, Port would have been scary good that decade.

I was there,hush went around the ground,absolutely gutted.
Same, everyone knew how red-hot he was. Would have won the Brownlow if he hadn't broken it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back