The What If thread

Remove this Banner Ad

PieLebo87

Hall of Famer
Veteran A Star Wars Fan 10k Posts Cake Connoisseur
Sep 14, 2005
Where would we be if we’d won the games we lost by 3 goals or less?

The question isn’t about where we’d be on the ladder - it’s 5 games so we’d be 9 and 5, sitting 6th on the ladder. Ironically, the 3 teams (sitting 3rd-5th) above us would also be 9-5 instead of 10-4.

The question is about where would we be deemed at as a footy club whilst sitting 6th on the ladder - a slight improvement on last year’s 8th place finish. Still disappointing after a GF in 2018 and regressing the next 3 seasons, or still technically thereabouts, fighting it out for another top 4 spot.

Would the current crop be deemed as good enough to content?

FYI, those 5 games I’m talking about are:
- 12 points v Freo last weekend.
- 10 points v Cats, our last loss prior.
- 1 point v Port, week before that.
- 1 point v Lions, Round 3
- 16 points v Dogs, Round 1

What if Taylor Adams nailed that shot on goal in the last minute of the 2018 GF.

What if Moore and Elliott were fit in 2018.

The close loses we’ve had this year don’t really matter, we were never going to be contending this year.

We’d be still in the same position list wise, salary cap problems and a bunch of young players getting games for the future.

In a few years time these loses will be a good thing because it finally pushed the club to make tough decisions and accept where the list is truly at.

What if Tuddy hadn't taken out Macca before half time in the '70 GF?
What if Harmes had been called for tapping the ball on from the second friggin' row in '79?
What if Carmen had kept his sh@t together and played in the GF?

Sh@t happens all the time but it happens to this club more than any other.

FFS deal with it.

PL87, i'll stick you your OP and only look at this year.
i think of those games, we should have won the 2 one pointers, Freo was one that slipped away , the others we were outplayed.
Even if we were 6 wins we would be out of contention, list issues and gaps would still be obvious. I dont believe the direction of the club would have changed too much, rebuild it would still be.
What really changed the season and nailed the coaching change was the 4 horrible matches including rounds 4 to 7 where we were absolutely horrible. Defence, dare work rate and intent fell apart, the coaches fate was sealed.

What if we picked Sean Darcy instead of Callum Brown in the 2016 draft? Would we still have offered Grundy the same contract? Would we then have had the same salary cap issues?
The Bont draft kills me. We were into him really badly and he would’ve been our first pick. Just didn’t last and we went Shaz instead. Then pick 10, we went Freeman… Sheed went pick 11. Crippa went afterwards too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Bont draft kills me. We were into him really badly and he would’ve been our first pick. Just didn’t last and we went Shaz instead. Then pick 10, we went Freeman… Sheed went pick 11. Crippa went afterwards too.
We did a deal with West Coast to upgrade picks and leave Sheed for them. Had we blind sided them maybe we win the 2018 flag.

What if Moore and Elliott were fit in 2018.

The close loses we’ve had this year don’t really matter, we were never going to be contending this year.

We’d be still in the same position list wise, salary cap problems and a bunch of young players getting games for the future.

In a few years time these loses will be a good thing because it finally pushed the club to make tough decisions and accept where the list is truly at.
Moore and Elliott 60% chance of getting injured during the GF which would’ve been far worse than not having them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back