Opinion The "What's X/Y Player worth" thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok you obviously dont rate Elton but i think he has shown a bit. Wasnt meaning to upset anyone so i will exit the thread
I didn't realise you were new to the sport. Elton's looking likely to be delisted

Jono Freeman and Michael Close.

Neither have shown they really belong at AFL level but at the same time they havent been given a huge run at it either. Freeman has played just 14 games and Close 25. In many ways they have been left to rot in the two's in order to get games into Hipwood and Schache.

Neither are horrible. Freeman takes a great mark but struggles to impact around the ground and Close has been very effective around the ground in the NEAFL but has struggled to hit the scoreboard.

Any chance of Collingwood, Richmond or even West Coast taking a punt?

Neither have shown they really belong at AFL level but at the same time they havent been given a huge run at it either. Freeman has played just 14 games and Close 25. In many ways they have been left to rot in the two's in order to get games into Hipwood and Schache.

Neither are horrible. Freeman takes a great mark but struggles to impact around the ground and Close has been very effective around the ground in the NEAFL but has struggled to hit the scoreboard.

Dogs should have a look. Cloke is 31 start of next year and Redpath has had 3 knee recos. Not to mention in terms of draft positioning we are stuck in no mans land (pick 10) as to obtain the best key forward.

Im not sure which one Id prefer (probably Close) but yeah it would be a pick around 50 or later youd say.

Word is Collingwood might be looking at Close ( why I don't know) I wouldn't be prepared to really give much. We have a couple of picks in the 4th round, so possibly one of those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So if the Eagles were bold in their list shake up to chase draft picks to land mids what would these players fetch?

Darling

Gaff

Barrass
I seriously doubt Gaff gets traded. Or Barrass, he's your best young KPP

I seriously doubt Gaff gets traded. Or Barrass, he's your best young KPP

Gaff signed a 2 year deal to get him to FA status So not out of the question.

We wont be trading McGovern and the only thing the club is good at is developing talls.

You need to trade quality to get quality. The club needs to do something about the midfield before Kennedy retires in 3 or so years.

So if the Eagles were bold in their list shake up to chase draft picks to land mids what would these players fetch?

Darling

Gaff

Barrass
Darling is hard but most likely 13-25 ish. Because of his age someone, I'm sure, would stump up something half decent for him.

Gaff 15-25. Someone at the top of the ladder would probably give their (late) 1st for him. Doubt he'd go to someone lower down the ladder so a bit of a tough one too. Being 25 he's still in his prime.

Barrass 10-18. First all day long.

Darling is hard but most likely 13-25 ish. Because of his age someone, I'm sure, would stump up something half decent for him.

Gaff 15-25. Someone at the top of the ladder would probably give their (late) 1st for him. Doubt he'd go to someone lower down the ladder so a bit of a tough one too. Being 25 he's still in his prime.

Barrass 10-18. First all day long.
Gaff is worth more then all of them not less then all of them.

Yep he is hard to gauge.

It would depend who you are.

Pick 9 plus Barrass for Kelly would be close.

On his own a pick say between 6 and 10 or why would the club trade him!
He's not worth 6-10. Didn't you ask for his value? This has nothing to do with the club's intentions, this is an objective view on his value.

He's not worth 6-10. Didn't you ask for his value? This has nothing to do with the club's intentions, this is an objective view on his value.

Club intentions have a lot to do with value.

Willing seller and a willing buyer affect value. So does supply and demand. Thats basic economics.

Eg. If a club such as GWS or the crows lost a final and struggled to contain tall forwards they would be willing to part with a higher pick to find shore up that weakness.

So say the Crows lose Lever and lose the GF to GWS due to its tall forwards, it gets Ricnmonds 2 first rounders and Richmond gets Lever plus steaknives. Would the Crows be more wolling to pay a bit more for a quality replacement?

Likewise a club in full rebuild may not be prepared to over pay for one player if they have many gaps to fix.

Likewise the Eagles may entertain trading one player as long as it nets them what they need to fix their midfield issues. If the offer falls short they would simply retain wgat they have.

Last edited:
Nathan Wilson?
Cant have him!
Seriously I'd say more than you'd want to pay and he's contracted. First rounder if necessary.
In last years form before he was injury hampered brilliant player. This year more of a defender and not running as much. Think that's a tactical choice as running it out leaves us exposed on the rebound.

Interested to know the value of Ollie Wines. I don't expect him to ever leave Port Adelaide but a discussion I heard on the radio today indicated he was worth a top 3 pick minimum. Interested to hear what others think he's worth?

As a power supporter I would say top a 10 pick and a player from giants I would say maybe Aidan core but that's propbably not as much as others but that's probably underating him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back