FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

So incredibly pumped for this show

It's been a long time coming, but based on one the best fantasy book series that's ever been written IMO.

If done right, the show could be absolutely amazing. I hope it can draw in lots of people to watch that haven't read the books previously, similar to how Game of Thrones did.

It stars Rosamond Pike and Madeleine Madden, an Indigenous Australian actress, will feature as one of the main characters as well.

There has been a fair bit of chat about the show in the WoT thread in the Book forum if anyone wants some background, but obviously there is info from the books in there as well which would contain spoilers.

Ideally this thread wouldn't contain any spoilers from the books to keep the experience new for TV watchers. Please be respectful of that.

Released November 19 on Amazon!

Last edited:
should be good, the books are so big and so many that I wonder how far they will go with the mini-series.

one thing thats changed already is Rand and Egwene never got it on...

I hope they just stick to the books and don't try to be the next Game of Thrones or the next typical TV series of anti-heros scheming against each other, as you often see these days.

Considering the showrunner and a lot of those working on the show are fans of the books, I wouldn't expect too much deviation from the source material. Not to mention they have also been consulting Brandon Sanderson and a couple of other people they consider WoT experts. They are also helped by having a completed series of books which GoT didn't have.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Really looking forward to this. Been waiting for a long time for this to come out.

Loved the books, well the Robert Jordan ones, thought it lost its way in the end after he died.

This promises to be just as good as Game of Thrones if done well.

Also been a long time since I picked up one of the books, and I don't intend to again, so the show will not have the same impact if they don't stick to the books for me.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
It's been a long time coming, but based on one the best fantasy book series that's ever been written IMO.

As an avid fantasy reader I tried to read the series.
By the fifth book I gave up. They were exceedingly bland and repetitive.
Not the most overrated fantasy series I've read. That would have to be Rothfuss's The Kingkiller Chronicles, which were both truly awful and uninspiring.
Still happy to give this show a try, the tv series might add more three dimensionality to the characters.

Not the most overrated fantasy series I've read. That would have to be Rothfuss's The Kingkiller Chronicles, which were both truly awful and uninspiring.

I'm not quite sure how to process this.

Still happy to give this show a try, the tv series might add more three dimensionality to the characters.
Which series do you like?

Robert Jordan known as one of the deepest writers of fantasy around. If anything he's criticised for being too detailed, rather than bland... interesting take.

Jun 24, 2009
In your dreams
AFL Club
West Coast
Which series do you like?

Robert Jordan known as one of the deepest writers of fantasy around. If anything he's criticised for being too detailed, rather than bland... interesting take.

Too much detail can be bland, although, I was mainly referring to the characters.

In no particular order I like the following:
- The Stormlight Archives
- The Three Worlds Cycle Series
- Memory, Sorrow and Thorn
- Abhorsen trilogy
- The Licanius Trilogy
- Anything from Guy Gavriel Kay
- The Witcher series

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Agreed. Always felt like WOT had a great story, just had so much fluff and filler (sighs, braid tugging, side stories that go nowhere with regards to the main plot) in it that detracted from the enjoyment of reading, but that's why I think the TV series might be great, they can cut a lot of the filler out, with out losing the core of the story.

Pretty good article about the creation of the show, some background on the books as well as delving into the current environment around streaming services and creating the next big thing.

I should read this when I have a break. I saw it this morning but haven’t had a chance to read it.

Full trailer was released early this morning.

As a wheel of time fan, there’s some things I like other things I don’t but overall I’m actually pretty happy so far with how it’s coming along.

The trollocs look way better than I thought.
What the practical effects and special effects teams have done with the Trollocs is nothing short of amazing! The shadowspawn look so good!

Last edited:
Back