FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

Remove this Banner Ad

“Put GoT to shame”

hmmm…well I know nothing of the books but if it lacks relationships and characters that engage me it will be just like every other failed next big thing that failed to deliver let alone get close to GoT

Here’s hoping it matches…we need another epic!

Wheel of Time is vastly superior to GoT in every way (IMO) but I have never been that much of a fan of ASoIaF which I think is among the most overrated series ever written. Whether that translates to the screen or not is another matter. I don't have high hopes for the first or second season but if it can get to about season 3 or 4 then it should come into its own.

“Put GoT to shame”

hmmm…well I know nothing of the books but if it lacks relationships and characters that engage me it will be just like every other failed next big thing that failed to deliver let alone get close to GoT

Here’s hoping it matches…we need another epic!

GoT is more focused on the political side of things where as in The Wheel of Time the magic and the magic system are a much bigger theme.

I love both book series, and the GoT show was what it was (great when it had the books as a source and went pretty quickly downhill after that). At least all the books are available for Wheel of Time to create the show from.

GoT had some really iconic characters which lent itself to TV quite well. There is potential for WoT for this to translate to TV as well, but a lot will come down to execution. They have potential to really improve on some of the characters from the book I believe.

Apart from the prose, the characters, the intrigue and the world-building.

Be prepared for this series to suck.

I disagree but like I have said on multiple occasions, I find ASoIaF to be massively overrated. This isn't the place to get into it so tl;dr, IMO, Martin's prose is crap, the characters are largely bland and boring (outside a couple of main ones), there is hardly any intrigue since it is pretty obvious what is going to happen, and I don't think his world-building is really anything to write home about. It is probably his strongest point but is very standard medieval inspired fantasy. Granted, I haven't read it since A Dance with Dragons came out but it was the final straw for me. I have no plans on reading any of the series again, nor do I plan on reading any future books.

I disagree but like I have said on multiple occasions, I find ASoIaF to be massively overrated. This isn't the place to get into it so tl;dr, IMO, Martin's prose is crap, the characters are largely bland and boring (outside a couple of main ones), there is hardly any intrigue since it is pretty obvious what is going to happen, and I don't think his world-building is really anything to write home about. It is probably his strongest point but is very standard medieval inspired fantasy. Granted, I haven't read it since A Dance with Dragons came out but it was the final straw for me. I have no plans on reading any of the series again, nor do I plan on reading any future books.
Compared to WoT?

There's no contest between who is a more skilled writer.

What is the most intriguing question in WoT? The main antagonist is completely unknown and is never developed. Instead you have a cast of henchmen that rotate in and out with such frequency that they're completely unmemorable. In the end, there's like 14 or 15 of them plus a couple of others? That's not a smart way to set up conflict.

It's all high-fantasy rubbish, whereas is GoT is far more grounded in politics, relationships, power etc. That's world-building. Magic plays a role in GoT as well but it remains in the margins, so when it's used it has an impact. WoT constantly devolves into people doing spells at each other like in Harry Potter.

Last edited:
Apart from the prose, the characters, the intrigue and the world-building.

Be prepared for this series to suck.
Fine, in that case don't watch it and leave the rest of us in peace.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it worth reading the books as the show comes out? I've never read it before but this seems a reasonable motivation. Not interested in the above shitflinging, more whether it's worth reading or just watching the show.

Is it worth reading the books as the show comes out? I've never read it before but this seems a reasonable motivation. Not interested in the above shitflinging, more whether it's worth reading or just watching the show.
I will watch a show based on a book I've read, but very very rarely will I read a book if I've seen the show first.

So my recommendation is give the first book a go. If you like it, then watch the show. if you don't like it, don't bother with the rest and just watch the show.

Read them. If you do, just keep in mind that the series was originally planned to be a trilogy so the first couple of books do have some pacing issues.

I will watch a show based on a book I've read, but very very rarely will I read a book if I've seen the show first.

So my recommendation is give the first book a go. If you like it, then watch the show. if you don't like it, don't bother with the rest and just watch the show.
Agreed. That would be my recommendation as well.

Yeah usually it doesn't work, but GoT was pretty enjoyable to read even after a few seasons of the show.

Hope it's not a spoiler, but have to say I found the first book to be little more than another 'Fellowship' clone/rehash. It got away from that after the first book but I personally found it super hard to get through it because of how derivative the plotpoints felt. Hope the TV show brings in some of the elements from the later books earlier to make it feel 'fresh'er.

Also the best character is an out of character unlikeable massive d-bag for the first book.

Hope it's not a spoiler, but have to say I found the first book to be little more than another 'Fellowship' clone/rehash. It got away from that after the first book but I personally found it super hard to get through it because of how derivative the plotpoints felt.

That is a pretty common view.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back