FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

Remove this Banner Ad

Really? Seems pretty obvious, surely.
To us it’s obvious, we’ve read the books so we can pick up the queues, for non-readers, I’ve heard them guess every one of the EF5 for different reasons. :D so I guess it’s not that obvious.

Interestingly it's the older male viewers who don't rate it.
View attachment 1285090
Game of Thrones had a consistent score across all ages/genders. Wonder if that's the book nerds you speak of in the over 45 male age group...

View attachment 1285093
Yep I saw a Twitter thread on it.

Interestingly enough, it’s the under 18 males that love it the most, that’s really interesting.

Women like it because of the strong female characters, older men have grown with the books, read them over and over again, so I kind of get the anti-tv show reaction with them. Plus, unfortunately there’s a pretty loud minority of conservative older people that hate it for other reasons.

Yep I saw a Twitter thread on it.

Interestingly enough, it’s the under 18 males that love it the most, that’s really interesting.

Women like it because of the strong female characters, older men have grown with the books, read them over and over again, so I kind of get the anti-tv show reaction with them. Plus, unfortunately there’s a pretty loud minority of conservative older people that hate it for other reasons.
I imagine because they haven't read the series, and are coming in with no preconceived expectations.

Oder males (and i'm far to closer to the 45+ group than i'd like to admit), have always sucked.

its good the women like it, the GoT audience definitely skewed male. Gives us more chance of getting all the series if it can appeal to the female demographics.

The WoT books had a huge female following, i remember attending some kind of event (a signing maybe?) and it was like 50% women which was amazing for a fantasy series during those times.

But also, the whole point is the Dragon Reborn is male because that is a dangerous proposition. Will he save the world or go mad and destroy it? That is central to him being such a polarising figure, but it goes out the window if it's a woman. She'd just be a powerful Aes Sedai, and there are plenty of those already. There are different, higher stakes involved if it's a man.

its a good point, they haven't really got into the taint (or corruption as they call it) yet but it is a huge importance in the books. But not as much in the first couple of books.

Also people saying the books you always knew who the DR was? Not sure thats right for the first book thats why there is a big "unveil" at the end from Morraine.

Episode 2 was concerning, but Episode 3 recovered well. I think they might have told Rand to smile more, and maybe written in a few jokes for him, he was starting to give me Anakin vibes before he lightened up. Perrin unfortunately remains a wet blanket. Idk if that actor can do stoic without looking miserable. Mat is probably the best of the boys like he is in the books. The Thom character was a welcome addition. Egwene, Lan, Nynaeve, all performed well. Moraine is awesome.

interesting they haven't hit much of Mat's skill with a bow/quarterstaff, will be a jump to him suddenly being a gun later on.

Rand isn't exactly comic relief, neither is Perrin. Thats what Mat is for.

its a good point, they haven't really got into the taint (or corruption as they call it) yet but it is a huge importance in the books. But not as much in the first couple of books.
Well, we know that there are Aes Sedai going around stilling men who can channel because they're so dangerous. That seems less relevant if the Dragon Reborn could theoretically not be male. The whole point is that men who can channel are dangerous and prone to madness, so the Dragon Reborn is bound to be a polarising figure, even among Aes Sedai themselves. Some want to help him, others want to capture/kill him. If the Dragon Reborn was female, none of that is a factor.

It's a strange story decision in terms of setting up the rules of the world.

Also people saying the books you always knew who the DR was? Not sure thats right for the first book thats why there is a big "unveil" at the end from Morraine.
I don't recall being in much doubt given the way the characters were introduced and framed.

Last edited:
You don't have to have read the books to identify the main character, surely.
The main character, to date, has been Moiraine. The 3x taveren have all been given an equal amount of airtime so far. If anything, Matt has made the greatest impression so far. Perrin & Rand have been complete non-events in the first 3 episodes.

The main character, to date, has been Moiraine. The 3x taveren have all been given an equal amount of airtime so far. If anything, Matt has made the greatest impression so far. Perrin & Rand have been complete non-events in the first 3 episodes.
I don't think it's a stretch to intuit which of the younger characters has been introduced/framed as the series lead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to have read the books to identify the main character, surely.
Well you’d think, but we’ve read the books.

I guess we can always ask the non-readers in this thread who they think is the main character? :D

I think Rand had a little more personality in the third episode, but you are definitely right. Barney Harris has just been amazing as Matt.

Which makes the decision to re-cast his role for S2 even more mystifying.
The fact that it’s so hush hush means it’s probably a health issue or a personal issue. I don’t think he did anything bad. Usually if it’s something bad it gets leaked, they’ve respected his privacy a lot however.

The fact that it’s so hush hush means it’s probably a health issue or a personal issue. I don’t think he did anything bad. Usually if it’s something bad it gets leaked, they’ve respected his privacy a lot however.

i'm guessing mental health, he also deleted all his social media etc.

he plays a good disreputable Mat and has some good banter with Rand so it disappointing but the new guy might nail it anyway. TBH i think Mat will be an easy character to play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back