FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

Remove this Banner Ad

So far so not too bad.

Only thing I'm not a big fan of is the actor playing Rand.

Gives off Hayden Christensen vibes for me.
Yeah that is my big concern as well, though he seemed to be a bit better in episode 4.

Also have concerns about Perrin, he's got one look at the moment. Hopefully gets to extend his range a bit...

Looks like Ep 4 is extremely divisive.

Non-book readers seem to think it's great.

Book readers think it's an unmitigated pile of horse sh*t, which destroys and takes a dump on the entire Aes Sedai lore that Robert Jordan created.
I don't see that.

I think it was quite an efficient piece of storytelling that incorporates some interesting material that occurs "off-screen" in the books. Basically, the audience needs to understand the dangers associated with male channellers. I think this episode demonstrated that better than a lengthy spiel of exposition.

My main criticism of the episode would be that the Nynaeve/Lan dynamic has happened too quickly to be plausible.

I don't see that.

I think it was quite an efficient piece of storytelling that incorporates some interesting material that occurs "off-screen" in the books. Basically, the audience needs to understand the dangers associated with male channellers. I think this episode demonstrated that better than a lengthy spiel of exposition.

My main criticism of the episode would be that the Nynaeve/Lan dynamic has happened too quickly to be plausible.
Well if it makes you feel better after certain information about some Aes Sedai and their warders has been told to Nynaeve, knowing her and her small town biases, she will jump to conclusions and that dynamic will change and move slower. At least I would assume so.

Well if it makes you feel better after certain information about some Aes Sedai and their warders has been told to Nynaeve, knowing her and her small town biases, she will jump to conclusions and that dynamic will change and move slower. At least I would assume so.
Huh?

Why did Nynaeve channel all of a sudden? What caused that?

Also have concerns about Perrin, he's got one look at the moment. Hopefully gets to extend his range a bit...

Don't hold your breath. The actor said that is what most of this season is for him or something to that effect.

That I think was mostly instinctive. Someone she has feelings for was mortally wounded.
Right, but we went from her being willing to kill him to "having feelings for him" in 2 episodes. Seems like a hard sell. And why did this shift occur? What happened to drive this plot development? This is shortcut storytelling.

Right, but we went from her being willing to kill him to "having feelings for him" in 2 episodes. Seems like a hard sell. And why did this shift occur? What happened to drive this plot development? This is shortcut storytelling.
Haha gotcha, I never really noticed that I guess, I think because I’ve read most of the books, it never clicked for me that it happened so quick. I’ve always been a huge Lan and Nynaeve fan.

Haha gotcha, I never really noticed that I guess, I think because I’ve read most of the books, it never clicked for me that it happened so quick.
Not only was it quick, it was totally unsupported by story.

What exactly happened between them that made her go all gooey for this guy? He spoke some Old Tongue and she lost her marbles?

I'm also not sold on this depiction of Lan. Not dark and damaged enough. He's meant to be a "one-man war" and perhaps the most lethal of anyone who doesn't have magic powers. Far too cheery and well-adjusted in the show, given his backstory. Where's the sense of the burden he bears?

Not only was it quick, it was totally unsupported by story.

What exactly happened between them that made her go all gooey for this guy? He spoke some Old Tongue and she lost her marbles?

I'm also not sold on this depiction of Lan. Not dark and damaged enough. He's meant to be a "one-man war" and perhaps the most lethal of anyone who doesn't have magic powers. Far too cheery and well-adjusted in the show, given his backstory. Where's the sense of the burden he bears?
That’s actually one change I’m fine with. I get why some people don’t like it, but for me personally the stoic, tough guy act is old and boring on television. It works in the books because we never get his POV until later, but in a show he’d just be boring guy #1.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You don't have to be a complete simp.

You don't have to defend everything about the show all the time.

What do you think will happen if you acknowledge its shortcomings? Will you lose your #1 ranking?
Jesus. There are 14 books, there is likely to be 7, maybe 8 seasons if it gets the GOT extra season bump (noting that 7 seasons is normally the max as that's what actors usually sign up for at the start on shows, extra seasons get very very expensive). Each season is 8 episodes long

That means that you're looking at 4 episodes for each book. There will be a stack of stuff that has to be cut. Just take the show for what it is. If you constantly try compare to the books, except at the high level, you'll be bitterly disappointed.

Jesus. There are 14 books, there is likely to be 7, maybe 8 seasons if it gets the GOT extra season bump (noting that 7 seasons is normally the max as that's what actors usually sign up for at the start on shows, extra seasons get very very expensive). Each season is 8 episodes long

That means that you're looking at 4 episodes for each book. There will be a stack of stuff that has to be cut. Just take the show for what it is. If you constantly try compare to the books, except at the high level, you'll be bitterly disappointed.
That doesn't excuse bad storytelling.

happened super quick in the books too.

one minute Lan and nynaeve are bickering the next minute Lan is asking Moraine when he can be released from his bond.

So far so not too bad.

Only thing I'm not a big fan of is the actor playing Rand.

Gives off Hayden Christensen vibes for me.

Hayden gets a bad wrap for movies where even Natalie Portman looked like a bad actor.

Looking forward to seeing him in the new obiwan/ashoka series.

I think this Rand bloke is a too handsome but he is definitely a thinker and has some mannerisms you'd think Rand would have.

You don't have to be a complete simp.

You don't have to defend everything about the show all the time.

What do you think will happen if you acknowledge its shortcomings? Will you lose your #1 ranking?
Lol I’m not a complete simp. I don’t like what they did with Perrin, I don’t like what they did with Mat’s parents, I don’t like the looks of channelling, there was also things with the aes sedai/Logain story that I didn’t like, however I choose to enjoy what we did get and not fall into a pit of despair because the show isn’t exactly word for word with the books.

I think this Rand bloke is a too handsome but he is definitely a thinker and has some mannerisms you'd think Rand would have.

You wot m8? You do realise that Rand is supposed to be good looking, right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back