FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
There's no hint of modern technology from a post-apocalyptic Earth that has been lost - such as radiation, mobile phones or vehicles.

It looks like medieval Europe - with the landscapes, the technology, the customs. Such as horseback riding, drinking and singing in taverns, sword fights.
It's post-apocalyptic in the sense that it's set (thousands of years) after "the Breaking of the World" - a disaster which happened as a result of Male Aes Sedai (primarily The Dragon) going mad. The "Breaking of the World" was a truly cataclysmic event, with mountains forming where seas once stood, old mountain ranges torn down, the whole world rearranged and made anew.

Post-apocalyptic doesn't mean that it's post-modern, just that it's set after an apocalyptic event.

For what it's worth, the books do mention some technologies which were lost as a result of the breaking - glow globes and stasis boxes are two which spring to mind. But that's not to say that these correspond to anything in the modern world as we know it.

There's no hint of modern technology from a post-apocalyptic Earth that has been lost - such as radiation, mobile phones or vehicles.

It looks like medieval Europe - with the landscapes, the technology, the customs. Such as horseback riding, drinking and singing in taverns, sword fights.
Saying it's post-apocalyptic earth is slightly misleading. It's only through small easter eggs in the books that it's kind of known that it was Earth (although the author confirmed it as well). It has no bearing on the story.

In any case, as The Wheel turns for eternity and each Age that passes can be thousands of years long, theoretically if the world was Earth as we know it in a previous Age, it's history/knowledge/artefacts are basically lost due to the amount of time passed. Especially as there are often cataclysmic world events that mark the end/beginning of Ages.

Saying it's post-apocalyptic earth is slightly misleading. It's only through small easter eggs in the books that it's kind of known that it was Earth (although the author confirmed it as well). It has no bearing on the story.

How is it misleading if that is exactly what it is?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
It's post-apocalyptic in the sense that it's set (thousands of years) after "the Breaking of the World" - a disaster which happened as a result of Male Aes Sedai (primarily The Dragon) going mad. The "Breaking of the World" was a truly cataclysmic event, with mountains forming where seas once stood, old mountain ranges torn down, the whole world rearranged and made anew.

Post-apocalyptic doesn't mean that it's post-modern, just that it's set after an apocalyptic event.

For what it's worth, the books do mention some technologies which were lost as a result of the breaking - glow globes and stasis boxes are two which spring to mind. But that's not to say that these correspond to anything in the modern world as we know it.

I'm only talking about 'post-apocalyptic' because of what another poster said. There's no evidence for it in the show. And this thread is supposed to be spoiler free from book reading information.

Back to the original point, the "world" where the show is taking place has many countries and regions whose people have their own physical characteristics including skin/hair colour and accents, etc.

It's not some PC agenda boogeyman that sorted wishes it was so he could have a sook. It's actually fitting with the book lore that there are diverse and varied people in the show.

I'm only talking about 'post-apocalyptic' because of what another poster said. There's no evidence for it in the show. And this thread is supposed to be spoiler free from book reading information.
They've referenced the Breaking of the World many, many times in the show.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
The Breaking of the World is not a book spoiler. Anyone who's actually watched the show & paid even the slightest attention would already be aware of it.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
It's not some PC agenda boogeyman that sorted wishes it was so he could have a sook. It's actually fitting with the book lore that there are diverse and varied people in the show.

Are you sure? Judkins seems to have a PC agenda that he is inserting into the show.

As much as possible, our cast should look like America in a few hundred years - a beautiful mix of white, brown, black and everything in between.​

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Are you sure? Judkins seems to have a PC agenda that he is inserting into the show.

As much as possible, our cast should look like America in a few hundred years - a beautiful mix of white, brown, black and everything in between.​

Nothing in that statement suggests any PC agenda, or in any way contradicts BEaston's statement that the show is just reflecting the world which Jordan created.

If you want to bitch & moan about a PC agenda, take it up with Jordan - who died 14 years ago.

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Nothing in that statement suggests any PC agenda, or in any way contradicts BEaston's statement that the show is just reflecting the world which Jordan created.

If you want to b*tch & moan about a PC agenda, take it up with Jordan - who died 14 years ago.

Judkins is clearly stating an agenda for how future America should look like in terms of preferred mix of skin colours.

I go back to my original point. This is a world that appears to be set in medieval Europe. Wakanda is a mythical country in Africa but there are no demands for diversity there.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Judkins is clearly stating an agenda for how future America should look like in terms of preferred mix of skin colours.

I go back to my original point. This is a world that appears to be set in medieval Europe. Wakanda is a mythical country in Africa but there are no demands for diversity there.
It's not medieval Europe, and the world described by Robert Jordan is multi-cultural. Your fundamental assumptions are completely wrong.

You're looking to push a PC agenda onto a show where no such agenda exists. The problem is with you, not the show.

What I will say is that Robert Jordan's world consists of a number of countries (e.g. Andor, Tear, Illian), each of which has its own racial characteristics. The show has done a poor job of portraying these countries so far.

Last edited:

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast

“This is a world that appears to be set in medieval Europe.”

so in your mind that means it has to be predominantly white? Your prejudices are showing…

You have no idea what you're talking about. Simple as that.

If seeing people of colour on screen triggers you this much, just turn it off.

You don't appear to have much of a grasp on what America looks like now, let alone in a few hundred years

Come for the TV show chat. Stay for the book spoilers (because any dunce who watched the show closely enough in the first two episodes should know who the dragon is :$) and the racism.

Sep 9, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
The only one that seems quite removed from the perception of how the character was viewed is Lan.

Was always portrayed as being something more like Tolkien battled hardened Dunedain than the Samurai like Lan the show went with.

Just doesn't seem as imposing as Lan should. Mads would have made a great Lan.

dff80b8902bdba7724aacfe83d4e2c2e.jpg

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
What I will say is that Robert Jordan's world consists of a number of countries (e.g. Andor, Tear, Illian), each of which has its own racial characteristics. The show has done a poor job of portraying these countries so far.

I'll take your word for it as I haven't read the books. It means Jordan is portraying what the world was like in medieval times.

It's not medieval Europe, and the world described by Robert Jordan is multi-cultural. Your fundamental assumptions are completely wrong.

It's a fictional show so they can claim it's set in any place and at any time. But the landscapes, technology, and culture (such as beer drinking, the songs, belief in witchcraft) resemble medieval Europe.

You're looking to push a PC agenda onto a show where no such agenda exists. The problem is with you, not the show.

I'm not pushing a PC agenda. I'm pointing it out.

Judkins is stating some social engineering goal for how future America should look in terms of preferred mix of skin colours. The irony is that in a few hundred years there will only be a mix of white, brown, black people if there is racial segregation. The more likely future scenario will be more and more integration so that notions of race become an historic artifact.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
The only one that seems quite removed from the perception of how the character was viewed is Lan.

Was always portrayed as being something more like Tolkien battled hardened Dunedain than the Samurai like Lan the show went with.

I think the actor is doing an amazing job as Lan.

Lan the character in the books is just the usual stoic warrior but you do see signs he can have a bit of fun etc.

The show Lan is already more fleshed out than the Book one IMHO

View attachment 1292991

Mads would be great if they decided to keep the stoic, emotionless Lan from the books. The version of Lan that they have decided to go with suits Daniel Henney more than it would suit Mads.

Belnakor

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 10, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Mads would be great if they decided to keep the stoic, emotionless Lan from the books. The version of Lan that they have decided to go with suits Daniel Henney more than it would suit Mads.

i'm totally fine with that.

Will be interesting to see what they do with him, since he becomes a much more minor character in the later books (he isn't even in book 5 and book 6 iirc)

I'll take your word for it as I haven't read the books. It means Jordan is portraying what the world was like in medieval times.

It's a fictional show so they can claim it's set in any place and at any time. But the landscapes, technology, and culture (such as beer drinking, the songs, belief in witchcraft) resemble medieval Europe.

I'm not pushing a PC agenda. I'm pointing it out.

Judkins is stating some social engineering goal for how future America should look in terms of preferred mix of skin colours. The irony is that in a few hundred years there will only be a mix of white, brown, black people if there is racial segregation. The more likely future scenario will be more and more integration so that notions of race become an historic artifact.

Judkins isn't setting a goal for how America should look, he's making a prediction on how it will look. I find it exceedingly weird that you're so willing to keep harping on this non-point. Why is the colour of the cast's skin such a problem for you?

Aug 21, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Oldham
Judkins isn't setting a goal for how America should look, he's making a prediction on how it will look. I find it exceedingly weird that you're so willing to keep harping on this non-point. Why is the colour of the cast's skin such a problem for you?

My review of the show was generally good with a few reservations. One of the points I made was about the casting. It's not a big deal. But if other people want to discuss this then I am happy to engage.

Back