FTA-TV The Wheel Of Time (WoT) *NO BOOK SPOILERS*

Happy Mastenator

Chris Masten's Sock Puppet
Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
If you are talking about the ending, Rafe said it was to give the girls something to do.
The whole eye of the world is the first time that the dragons power is established. Doing it the way they did didn’t demonstrate any power. Sure he beat that baddie but that’s not much given he wasn’t established. Wiping out the trollocs afterwards is what adds to it. Then finding the horn. Not sure why they took the trollocs and the horn away from him and gave to others.

Happy Mastenator

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
I liked the episode, better then most, but acting is lacking from some of the characters, Perrin the worst, Rand not far behind.

Surprised by the arrival in ships, seems earlier then I remember they came in the story.
Reading book two now. They are present pretty much from the start of book 2, by reference, don’t actually see them until mid way through book 2

Didn't mind how that season finished, don't really get the controversy but maybe that's because I don't know the books too much.

It seems very linear though, unlike GOT with so many plots woven together. I think it feels more simplistic as a result.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Didn't mind how that season finished, don't really get the controversy but maybe that's because I don't know the books too much.

It seems very linear though, unlike GOT with so many plots woven together. I think it feels more simplistic as a result.
The first book was very linear. The later books saw them all splitting up and heading in different directions, resulting in much less linear storytelling.

Book spoilers (nothing that will spoil the show- just deviations from the source material) if you want some insight:

1. Killing off the Shienarans- especially in the way they did. The borderlanders are supposed to be the best warriors (outside of the Aiel) and yet you have them act like a bunch of imbeciles and die like they did for no reason. These are the people that live for war. They fight Trollocs on a regular basis and the show made them seem like they had no idea what they were doing.

2.The whole segment with Rand/Moiraine/other guy. I won't go into why since it is ridiculously spoilery but it was an abomination.

3. The big one is that killing all the Trollocs is supposed to be Rand's big moment and the point when you realise that okay, this guy is one uber powerful mofo. It is supposed to give you a glimpse at why The Dragon is so feared and with just a taste of the power that he has. It adds a real sense of danger and an understanding of how the last dragon broke the world and why the Aes Sedai fear it will happen again and want The Dragon under their control. It also helps to understand just how powerful a certain group of people that will show up later are. Instead, they had a small handful of untrained (and not very powerful) women destroy all the Trollocs because, as Rafe Judkins put it, they needed something for the girls to do. It also makes no sense since if they had the power to do that then why not just do it from the start.

There are other minor and not so minor deviations that have pissed a lot of people off but those are the big ones for me and point 2 and 3 are the real big ones for everyone.

Happy Mastenator

Apr 16, 2010
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
Book spoilers (nothing that will spoil the show- just deviations from the source material) if you want some insight:

1. Killing off the Shienarans- especially in the way they did. The borderlanders are supposed to be the best warriors (outside of the Aiel) and yet you have them act like a bunch of imbeciles and die like they did for no reason. These are the people that live for war. They fight Trollocs on a regular basis and the show made them seem like they had no idea what they were doing.

2.The whole segment with Rand/Moiraine/other guy. I won't go into why since it is ridiculously spoilery but it was an abomination.

3. The big one is that killing all the Trollocs is supposed to be Rand's big moment and the point when you realise that okay, this guy is one uber powerful mofo. It is supposed to give you a glimpse at why The Dragon is so feared and with just a taste of the power that he has. It adds a real sense of danger and an understanding of how the last dragon broke the world and why the Aes Sedai fear it will happen again and want The Dragon under their control. It also helps to understand just how powerful a certain group of people that will show up later are. Instead, they had a small handful of untrained (and not very powerful) women destroy all the Trollocs because, as Rafe Judkins put it, they needed something for the girls to do. It also makes no sense since if they had the power to do that then why not just do it from the start.

There are other minor and not so minor deviations that have pissed a lot of people off but those are the big ones for me and point 2 and 3 are the real big ones for everyone.
Agree 100% on your spoilers.

1. The shierans built a 100m high wall with windows that can be entered by the trollocs 15m off the ground.... i don't think so.

2. Yuk, was terrible.

3. Agreed. That was so disappointing.

Does it het better after Ep1? Pretty s**t compared to the books so far.
I thought Ep 1 was pretty good. There are certainly other weaker episodes, and some other good ones too.

Overall, the series has some hefty downsides but for me it was still cool seeing the WoT world brought to the screen.

I will continue watching any future series, especially as the plot for book 1 was probably one of the worst of the series.

There are some good eps and some downright s**t eps that completely * with the lore of the world. Not to mention the finale is worse than an abomination.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
It's Rafe's vision, not Robert Jordan's. Anyone who compares it with the books is in for bitter disappointment, as Rafe's world is more "loosely inspired by" than "as told by" Jordan.

Non-book readers should be reasonably happy with what they see. However, the big scenes which excite the non-book readers simply don't exist in the source material, and are mostly downright offensive to book readers.

If you can suspend your sense of "WTF is this s**t that's got nothing to do with the books I love", park your brain at the door and settle back to a CGI-fest with fairly ordinary acting, then you'll probably love it. If you're invested in the books (as I am/was), then you'll probably hate it.

Nov 9, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
🐍🏆Ophidian Old Boys🏆🐍 and Mizzou
Sounds like the answer will be no.
It's ok if you like B grade acting from a few of them.

Staying true to the books in a TV show is impossible. So that never gets me down, also I read them to long ago now to not really tie them in fully to the books anymore.

However to counter the above the show should never change Critical aspects of the Books - Like the difference between male and female channellers - The show made a huge mistake there. Probably the only thing besides the acting of a few of them that pissed me off.

We ever find out reason for original Mat having to be recast?

No, but at the time there was a lot of talk about him being a massive anti-vaxer and it was causing issues. Whether that is true or not and whether that had any effect if it is true is unknown.

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No, but at the time there was a lot of talk about him being a massive anti-vaxer and it was causing issues. Whether that is true or not and whether that had any effect if it is true is unknown.
Nah, that theory was debunked pretty quickly.

Recently watched this show on a whim. I got a lot of pleasure from it.

Have not read the books, so I did not experience the troubles with the book adaptation. Show has good production values and for me at least did a fair job at world setting.

Future series could invest a little more in the writing. There are bits of clunky dialogue. I am not sure they got the casting of the five youngsters totally right or the Director missed on getting optimum performances notably from the fella playing Rand.

Recently watched this show on a whim. I got a lot of pleasure from it.

Have not read the books, so I did not experience the troubles with the book adaptation. Show has good production values and for me at least did a fair job at world setting.

Future series could invest a little more in the writing. There are bits of clunky dialogue. I am not sure they got the casting of the five youngsters totally right or the Director missed on getting optimum performances notably from the fella playing Rand.
Pretty good summation Horrie. I think a lot of objective analysis of the show is pretty skewed by book reader expectations (myself included).

So excited to get some new casting news. I was one of the many fans convinced that Jay Duffy would be Galad, come on, the dude is pretty, but it’s nice to have a face for Dain though, hate the character, but he’s important.

Love the maidens casting. Three of my favourite characters, in the series!

I’m hoping we get a trailer soon, I’m expecting a premier in August or September, still 4 or 5 months away, but who knows.

Back