Analysis The Whipping Boys

Remove this Banner Ad

Toovey in his early days was a massive one. I’ll add special mention to Keane after he had 4 kicked on him.

And Cloke anytime he had a shot inside 50m 😬

Pendles set shot goal kicking can you give me stats?
Not off the top of my head. Has certainly been a source of whipping fury. Perhaps our games record holder and longest serving captain should be in the top ten?

Not off the top of my head. Has certainly been a source of whipping fury. Perhaps our games record holder and longest serving captain should be in the top ten?

No NO and No just saying his set shots at goal compared to on the run etc have you not seen the difference?

No NO and No just saying his set shots at goal compared to on the run etc have you not seen the difference?
Well, you know, i've watched him at games and stuff.

Guess the Hope is keep in in 1 Thread and not every single game thread each week
The in game threads are great.
All the passion that is lacking when people want to score a point or put themselves up as Uber fans in other threads.
Anyone who takes an in game thread as a serious reflection of any posters views requires serious medical attention.
And of course if you can’t stand the highs and lows of passion that everyone knows will be on display during the game you should walk away from it.
Not have an uber whinge.

The in game threads are great.
All the passion that is lacking when people want to score a point or put themselves up as Uber fans in other threads.
Anyone who takes an in game thread as a serious reflection of any posters views requires serious medical attention.
And of course if you can’t stand the highs and lows of passion that everyone knows will be on display during the game you should walk away from it.
Not have an uber whinge.
Thanks for the analysis

I've always done my whipping out of sight, not one to make a spectacle of it.

Few players brought out the impulse in me as much as Jesse White. That man had quite a gift for making me excitable, and I always felt worse for it. I apologise for all the things I said about you and your lazy-looking eyes.

More recently it was Tom Phillips. All the best in your current endeavours, Tom.

Now? Very early days, but a few shape as favourites:
- Sier...because he looks the part but will likely fall short (not dissimilar to J. White)
- Grundy...because he makes lots of money
- JDG...because it's becoming obvious that he'll never be where we need him (i.e. in 2 or 3 places at once).

I don't think it needs to be top ten.

I've only got Top 6 and two don't even play anymore.
1) Treloar
2) Stevo
3) Aish
4) Jack Anthony
5) Cloke
6) Grundy

I am just going to use your top 10 with a few changes. Incidentally - a good thread.

1. Callum Brown - has really come on in leaps and bounds. Once much loved by the BF army, now seen as incapable of even basic human functions.
2. Josh Thomas - regularly targeted since the whole drug thing. Can play well without being noticed. However he rarely plays well and is noticed even less then than in the 'games he does play well(!)'.
3. Brody Grundy - had a very ordinary year in 2019. Is going to be on a million dollars for 4 years in his 30s. His success depends on his ground work and at 27, I think we have already seen the best of him as a player. Great tap ruckmen can be useful into their 30s but Grundy does not have that luxury. He thoroughly deserves his spot in the top 10. If he was on a modest salary the microscopic focus on his game would not occur. However, his salary over the next 7 years assures he will always be uppermost in the mind of every compiler of a top 10 whipping boys' list.
4. WHE - the hyphen cops plenty. Seen as soft.
5. Tyler Brown. There are those who feel he doesn't belong here, and there is a chance one day he will vindicate the most astute judges among us, but I don't think he is skilled enough in any area to be someone who is going to help to take us to the next level. Really putting his hand up as a strong member of this list.
6. Madgen. Had a poor season last year in that he looked really competent down back and seemed to frequently save the day for us. However his new role as a distributor has seen him swiftly move up the rankings. Accurate kicking under pressure is not his strength and this new role is underlining this deficiency, albeit a strength in this list of rankings.
7. Mason Cox comes and goes. When he comes he is great, when he goes he is one of the worst players ever to play AFL. Needs a season like last year to remain firmly in this list. His second half effort against Richmond where he marked and goaled 3 times will not help his continued inclusion in this top 10.
8. Nathan Murphy. Much heralded player when drafted who deserves a good whipping given his inability to get a game when everyone else around him had collapsed in 2019. Looked slow and ineffectual against Geelong on the wing which is the position the club now see as offering his best opportunity to fail.
9. Max Lynch. Seriously ordinary footballer who must have a very interesting and valuable photo collection to maintain his spot on the list.
10. Will Kelly. 3 games with 3 major injuries, two of which resulted from the kind of collisions just about anyone else would have shrugged off and moved on from immediately. But with Kelly being a Ben Reid clone, he'll need 10 weeks recovery time to any other player's one week. He seems a nice bloke, which is part of the reason I see him cementing himself in this top 10 for some time to come.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am just going to use your top 10 with a few changes. Incidentally - a good thread.

1. Callum Brown - has really come on in leaps and bounds. Once much loved by the BF army, now seen as incapable of even basic human functions.
2. Josh Thomas - regularly targeted since the whole drug thing. Can play well without being noticed. However he rarely plays well and is noticed even less then than in the 'games he does play well(!)'.
3. Brody Grundy - had a very ordinary year in 2019. Is going to be on a million dollars for 4 years in his 30s. His success depends on his ground work and at 27, I think we have already seen the best of him as a player. Great tap ruckmen can be useful into their 30s but Grundy does not have that luxury. He thoroughly deserves his spot in the top 10. If he was on a modest salary the microscopic focus on his game would not occur. However, his salary over the next 7 years assures he will always be uppermost in the mind of every compiler of a top 10 whipping boys' list.
4. WHE - the hyphen cops plenty. Seen as soft.
5. Tyler Brown. There are those who feel he doesn't belong here, and there is a chance one day he will vindicate the most astute judges among us, but I don't think he is skilled enough in any area to be someone who is going to help to take us to the next level. Really putting his hand up as a strong member of this list.
6. Madgen. Had a poor season last year in that he looked really competent down back and seemed to frequently save the day for us. However his new role as a distributor has seen him swiftly move up the rankings. Accurate kicking under pressure is not his strength and this new role is underlining this deficiency, albeit a strength in this list of rankings.
7. Mason Cox comes and goes. When he comes he is great, when he goes he is one of the worst players ever to play AFL. Needs a season like last year to remain firmly in this list. His second half effort against Richmond where he marked and goaled 3 times will not help his continued inclusion in this top 10.
8. Nathan Murphy. Much heralded player when drafted who deserves a good whipping given his inability to get a game when everyone else around him had collapsed in 2019. Looked slow and ineffectual against Geelong on the wing which is the position the club now see as offering his best opportunity to fail.
9. Max Lynch. Seriously ordinary footballer who must have a very interesting and valuable photo collection to maintain his spot on the list.
10. Will Kelly. 3 games with 3 major injuries, two of which resulted from the kind of collisions just about anyone else would have shrugged off and moved on from immediately. But with Kelly being a Ben Reid clone, he'll need 10 weeks recovery time to any other player's one week. He seems a nice bloke, which is part of the reason I see him cementing himself in this top 10 for some time to come.
Nathan Murphy. He’s a joke. Yet we get rid of Stephenson

I've always done my whipping out of sight, not one to make a spectacle of it.

Few players brought out the impulse in me as much as Jesse White. That man had quite a gift for making me excitable, and I always felt worse for it. I apologise for all the things I said about you and your lazy-looking eyes.

More recently it was Tom Phillips. All the best in your current endeavours, Tom.

Now? Very early days, but a few shape as favourites:
- Sier...because he looks the part but will likely fall short (not dissimilar to J. White)
- Grundy...because he makes lots of money
- JDG...because it's becoming obvious that he'll never be where we need him (i.e. in 2 or 3 places at once).
Illuminati?

Interesting. I don’t need a whipping boy, call things as I see them and try to keep relatively rational. Reality is you’ve got to be a bloody good footballer to make it AFL level. Some take their opportunity, some don’t. They’re all better footballers than me. I therefore tend toward being optimistic and focus on the potential so don’t need to play the keyboard warrior that some seem to revel in.

Interesting. I don’t need a whipping boy, call things as I see them and try to keep relatively rational. Reality is you’ve got to be a bloody good footballer to make it AFL level. Some take their opportunity, some don’t. They’re all better footballers than me. I therefore tend toward being optimistic and focus on the potential so don’t need to play the keyboard warrior that some seem to revel in.

You clearly don’t get the point of the thread then.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back