List Mgmt. The Whipping Boys?

Remove this Banner Ad

Berry got injured preseason & never seemed to get his season back on track.

Apparently taken a different approach this preseason & looks sharper.

Can be a solid player for us, but agree won't be an A grader like Pedlar has the potential to be.
It was the video he made, fame got to him 😆

Keays

Seems a great bloke, great team mate, great club man, gives his all, has provided the youth with protection through the rubuild..

But does anyone in here, ANYONE AT ALL, want to see Ben streaming toward the forward 50 with ball in hand with a minute to go in a Prelim whilst the crows are 1 point down?..

Tell you who would.. Powa supporters would.

Thats why we need to move on from Ben and replace him with talent before our next GF attempt.

Murphy

Shouldve stayed behind the counter in the merch shop. Just a GARBAGE footballer.

Sholl

Seriously… we let Atkins walk without a fight to the Suns for a reason..

Then we immediately replaced him like for like with another soft prick in sholl.

Himmelberg

Good depth. Thats about it.

ROB

Constantly reminds me of the late, great Shane Warne…

Can just hear Warnie’s voice saying “Cant tap, cant kick, cant mark” everytime ROB goes near it.

Sloane

Rory should never be on a “whipping boy” list.. club great and, at his peak, a bloody good player.

But Rory’s problem is, like a stale old fart that just seems to have infiltrated the fabric at the club, he shouldve removed himself and retired this year with his dignity intact.

But unfortunately Rory cares more about Rory than he does about the future of the team and good of the club.

Berry, parnell, cook, Bond, Borlase, nank, gollant

All either still too young to pass judgement on yet or simply get starved of opportunity due to being on the list of a club that has a nutjob policy of “experience and continuity” over anything else when selecting the 22 week in week out.

NEVER write the youth off until they’ve been given a solid run at it.

Although Berry needs to pull his finger out as he’s had some decent opportunities. But dont write him off just yet. Re-assess at the end of 2024.

Cue the usual Mutineer “thumbs down”..
which generally means I’m right on the money.

I don't find myself often disagreeing with you.
It upsets the happy clappers.

My whipping boys this year will be our short list of senior players.

2024 is a year where "building" as an attitude gets left in the past. We're primed for a finals berth and therefore a premiership run! I don't expect a premiership this year but I absolutely do expect finals.

Sloane, Smith, Tex, ROB, Crouch and Laird are all required to deliver more than a lengthy CV. It's about performance this year. Nothing else should hold their place in the team.As senior players, they have to not only guide the team performance, but LEAD the team performance in actual footballing excellent. Like Tex did last year. He earned his spot each week and his contract extension. My hat's off to the big fella.

But this year we start from scratch again and the performance of our senior players (and selectors) will determine how close we get to that flag. Our youngsters are looking a strong group but if some of our key senior players don't, or can't, lift to the standard of premiership senior players (think Pendlebury and Sidebottom), then I'll mercilessly whip them to either improve, or to get out of the way of those who can.

Can't believe the amount of people who are okay with Murphy.

I'm one of the few who likes Parnell. He's a natural footballer. If we can find him a role he's a handy player. Can we find him a role? He's a decent small defender, but we've got a few of those ahead of him. Could he be tried as a small forward? Has pace and skill.

I'm one of the few who likes Parnell. He's a natural footballer. If we can find him a role he's a handy player. Can we find him a role? He's a decent small defender, but we've got a few of those ahead of him. Could he be tried as a small forward? Has pace and skill.

I don't think our coaching staff know how to embrace change.

My whipping boys this year will be our short list of senior players.

2024 is a year where "building" as an attitude gets left in the past. We're primed for a finals berth and therefore a premiership run! I don't expect a premiership this year but I absolutely do expect finals.

Sloane, Smith, Tex, ROB, Crouch and Laird are all required to deliver more than a lengthy CV. It's about performance this year. Nothing else should hold their place in the team.As senior players, they have to not only guide the team performance, but LEAD the team performance in actual footballing excellent. Like Tex did last year. He earned his spot each week and his contract extension. My hat's off to the big fella.

But this year we start from scratch again and the performance of our senior players (and selectors) will determine how close we get to that flag. Our youngsters are looking a strong group but if some of our key senior players don't, or can't, lift to the standard of premiership senior players (think Pendlebury and Sidebottom), then I'll mercilessly whip them to either improve, or to get out of the way of those who can.

I think Tex delivered enough last year for a 34 year old.
I'd be happy with second in the Coleman.

Keays is my whipping boy, I don't bang on about it here but he frustrates the hell out of me during games.

I love what he's been able to do since he arrived; he's set standards, he works hard, gut runs both ways, prolific possession, but jeez I just have no faith in his disposal, either at goal or to a teammate.

I was on the wing/ half forward at the MCG vs Collingwood, and Thilthorpe was running past for a big play and Keays gave him the ball behind him. Poor TT almost broke his leg off in his rotation to get the ball, it was spilled and Collingwood ran it out of defense - would have been early third quarter I think.

Thilthorpe was hobbling for the next 2-3 minutes, then went off. If you can't execute with the ball to advantage, your time is limited.

I'm really hoping that the half forward position has many players eyeing off, including Cook, Gollant, Dowling, Taylor etc, and hope one of these can win the position off Keays by being better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think this is a case of undervaluing how the team part of football works. That really, a bottom of the lineup player is there to make the stars look good and to cover weaknesses/enhance strengths. They're in the 13-22 slots for a reason. Does Murphy fit that bill at Adelaide? It's a pretty strong yes at the moment.

Take Murphy 2023 numbers for instance:
Elite in clearances, score launches, bounces and both rebound 50s and inside 50s.
Above average in disposals, effective disposals, frees for, ground ball gets, score involvements.
Average in marks, goal assists, pressure acts, tackles inside 50, one percenters and kicking percentage.
Below average in goals, behinds, shots at goal and goal accuracy.

This is a guy who is a bottom of the rotation forward and we're getting some pretty solid numbers out of him. He's getting involved in transition consistently - and that's a numbers game where even if he isn't, he's still stretching defense by creating another outlet option, after all, if you're getting more ball it also means you're more commonly getting into good positions. He's doing well at being a pest defensively. He's also giving a bit of extra clearance power in certain scenarios and winning his share of contested ball. All things that Adelaide needed because we were a team that relied on transition to score. The only thing we didn't get was goalkicking from Murphy. Even then, take our usual 8 forwards from this year - Tex, Rankine, Fog, Rachele, Pedlar, Keays, Thilthorpe and Murphy - they put up 246 goals (goes to 258 with McAdam). The bottom three this year didn't kick as many goals from their entire lineup, in particular beating West Coast by 43 goals. This was a forward line that was humming beautifully with its offensive production and Murph found a niche where his weaknesses were covered and his strengths complimentary.

He'll always be the first axed from that sector, because that's what being a 16-22 guy is all about, and a guy who doesn't kick goals is always more vulnrable then someone who does. However, whilst the sector is flushed with talent, he'll also be a guy who can come in and punch above his weight as a supporting piece.

I'm really hoping that the half forward position has many players eyeing off, including Cook, Gollant, Dowling, Taylor etc, and hope one of these can win the position off Keays by being better.

If Keays produces like he did in 2023 - and our forward line doesn't fall into a hole - they will never get the chance to overtake him.

I love Keays as a human being and clubman but his disposal can be hair raising he does all the other bits of football so well he just doesn't quite have the skills or decision making. Which is why he's my personal whipping boy.

I'm still happy he plays for AFC and I don't want him to be delisted just wish he could clean up his skills and decisions because he really could be a great player.

It is very frustrating watching Sloane take mid time from the kids, and Murphy doesn't kick enough goals as a forward. Other than that no real frustrations. Not expecting Sholl, Butts or McHenry to be in the side long term.

Sloane didn’t take a lot of time from the kids. Looking at both Rachele and Pedlar - they both had good 7-8 weeks crack at CBAs before being taken out (or reduced) in the rotation. To me they were managed
Come 2024 you would expect those 7-8 week blocks to grow to probably 13-16 games as key midfielders

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Sloane didn’t take a lot of time from the kids. Looking at both Rachele and Pedlar - they both had good 7-8 weeks crack at CBAs before being taken out (or reduced) in the rotation. To me they were managed
Come 2024 you would expect those 7-8 week blocks to grow to probably 13-16 games as key midfielders

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Who did he take time from then?
He took time from somebody.

Parnells one wood is his disposal and it seems average at afl level, so I don’t really see what he adds.

Elite in clearances, score launches, bounces and both rebound 50s and inside 50s.
Above average in disposals, effective disposals, frees for, ground ball gets, score involvements.
Average in marks, goal assists, pressure acts, tackles inside 50, one percenters and kicking percentage.
Below average in goals, behinds, shots at goal and goal accuracy.
Hey, could you please link the source for these assertions? Some seem weird, like "elite in R50s" etc.. would love to learn more

Shoenburg, Berry, McHenry, Parnell and Murphy for mine are the whipping boys next year.

Particularly Shoenburg and Berry, they need career best years IMO in order to stay on the list after next year given who we have coming through (Edwards, Taylor, Dowling etc).

Shoenburg, Berry, McHenry, Parnell and Murphy for mine are the whipping boys next year.

Particularly Shoenburg and Berry, they need career best years IMO in order to stay on the list after next year given who we have coming through (Edwards, Taylor, Dowling etc).
Probably not Schoenberg as will be out due to injury.

Will be hard for Schoenberg to have a career best year without playing unfortunately :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back