The Whips Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Round 6 - home loss and favourites (double points)

Based on the voters I’d have it as:

3 - Pearce
2 - Ryan
1 - Jackson, JOM, Amiss, Hughes

After 6 rounds the current standings:
Current standings
15 - Alex Pearce
6 - Nat Fyfe, Luke Jackson
4 - Will Brodie, Josh Treacy, Taberner, Luke Ryan, Amiss, Hughes
3 - JOM
1 - Henry, Wilson, NOD

Alex Pearce did nothing to drop his favouritism as the inaugural Whips Award recipient. Putrid performance. Should actually be dropped.

Sadly, we have just about everyone down on potential and last years performances.

Freo v Brisbane next. Expect one of 2 things. The mother of all hidings OR an incredible ‘never saw that coming’ victory.

3- Alex Pearce

2- Alex Pearce

1- Alex Pearce

No I won't be changing my votes.

Pearce leads the AFL for goals conceded.

It’s not just a case of holding him to incredibly high standards. He’s literally the worst defender in the AFL through the first 6 rounds.

If Whips could sharpen further they just have.

It’s not just a case of holding him to incredibly high standards. He’s literally the worst defender in the AFL through the first 6 rounds.

Where do our other guys rank?

Goals conceded statistics mean very little when teams play a team defence. One of the key defenders will play high, the other deep - the data is not a true reflection Of the situation.

The key data in my opinion is the Contested possessions and Ground ball gets both of which for Fremantle are the worst in the AFL, particularly GBG.

In terms of his form, Alex would be the first to say he hasn’t been at his best but he has a lot of others in the same boat.

Goals conceded statistics mean very little when teams play a team defence. One of the key defenders will play high, the other deep - the data is not a true reflection Of the situation.

The key data in my opinion is the Contested possessions and Ground ball gets both of which for Fremantle are the worst in the AFL, particularly GBG.

In terms of his form, Alex would be the first to say he hasn’t been at his best but he has a lot of others in the same boat.

I mean yeah… but we also have eyes and have watched Pearce literally bumble about in multiple occasions.

The data just further highlights he’s been poor.

I agree the whole defense is a product of what occurs further up the ground BUT Pearce has been poor on multiple occasions and some of them inexcusable.

The goal square non hand off is deplorable and can be excused as a brain fade BUT you only have to go back to the Adelaide game where he did the same thing with Thilthorpe on his backside. In other words, he’s not learning g from his howlers and both of these are inexcusable poor defensive moments that cost his side.

Now throw in all the other 1/1 inexcusable events and it’s not exactly ‘flawed’ data.

It backs up what supporters are seeing.

The leading contenders and is hard to split based on all the posts over the past couple of weeks, in no particular order:
Jaeger OM
Luke Ryan
Alex Pearce

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back