Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

giphy.gif

Oh Righto!

I remember that time some flog effectively shotted a Laphroaig.

eh eh eh scezza Lord Nicholson The Prosecutor

Don't know whether that or the inhuman screeching that followed when the waitress tried to remove a glass that had .1 of a millilitre of Laphroaig left in it was worse.

NB: I do not necessarily decry the complaint for removing that much Laphroaig, just the magnitude of its demonstrability.

And this is from the man who drinks Carton Draught by choice :p
It's less of a sin than mixing it with coke.

Sent from some loser head's iPad using Dumbatalk
Firstly, well done on spelling Draught correctly this time Maddogm. Secondly, just because I like the full strength, brewery fresh flavour of Carlton Draught or the sweet taste of Jim Beam and Coke, doesn't mean I'd ever mix Coke with a good whiskey! I'm not an animal...

Firstly, well done on spelling Draught correctly this time Maddogm. Secondly, just because I like the full strength, brewery fresh flavour of Carlton Draught or the sweet taste of Jim Beam and Coke, doesn't mean I'd ever mix Coke with a good whiskey! I'm not an animal...
You think Draught is good, that makes you an animal. Off to the rubbish beers thread with you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:rolleyes: You guys are so cool.
Move onto Boags Draught.

Though really, I don't give a s**t what you enjoy. If you like the taste keep on drinkin it. I used to swear by the stuff, now personally can't stand it. Not sure what changed.

I used to swear by the stuff, now personally can't stand it. Not sure what changed.

Many moons ago I was VB out of a stubby/tinnie, Carlton out of a tap. I was that way from the age of 16 to 25 or so.

About a 15 years ago it started where, upon any given trip to the boozer, you could get a carton of premium or imported beer for about the same price as VB/Carlton etc. No brainer really and I think that's when my tastes started to swing. Around the same time most pubs started serving a wider variety of beers too.

Many moons ago I was VB out of a stubby/tinnie, Carlton out of a tap. I was that way from the age of 16 to 25 or so.

About a 15 years ago it started where, upon any given trip to the boozer, you could get a carton of premium or imported beer for about the same price as VB/Carlton etc. No brainer really and I think that's when my tastes started to swing. Around the same time most pubs started serving a wider variety of beers too.
Yeah you're right. It's when they bought in the alcotax and CD went to the same price as Becks, Stella's and such. No longer could I get 2 slabs for $40 special (I miss those days) so we all started just buying the better beers.

Would have been same age too, around mid to late 20's

Go A-Town!

https://thewest.com.au/business/sma...ernational-whiskey-in-the-world-ng-b88438494z
It’s official - WA produces the world’s best whisky.

Limeburners’ Heavily Peated Darkest Winter whisky, produced in Albany, has collected the trophy for 2017’s best International Whisky in the World at the American Distilling Institute’s annual spirits awards, in Baltimore US, last night.

Limeburners founder Cameron Syme said the award resulted from 29 years of hard work.
GURVP8BO.1-0.jpg

I've had a few of the Limeburners and I think they're very good. Much more impressive than any of the Sullivans Cove.

Last edited:
I've ended up with a bottle of Hellyers Road Peated, in the most fortuitous of circumstances, and had been resisting the urge to open it for the last five months (particularly because it's been a long time since I tried it). Last night I could not resist.

I might be going a little early but I'd put it on par with Lark Cask Strength and the Limeburners Sherry Cask as my favourite of the Aussie whiskies, and by quite some way.

Australian whiskies tend to have a floral character and a sweetness that I associate with our bush (in the same way that a rye invokes an image of an American alpine forest or the way a bourbon sparks an image of floating down the Mississippi) and which I did not think would sit comfortably with the flavour of peat (in the same way that the Talisker Port cask, for example, ends up being over the top).

I was not expecting competing flavours to be so balanced. It is absolutely delicious.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back