Food & Drink The Whisk(e)y Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sit back and relax and enjoy
I will, just unsure when it'll be. It's dad's whiskey and it would be rude for me to drink some before he did.

My kids have their advent calendar chocolate before breakfast. It'd be nice if dad could join in and have a pre-breakfast treat with them.
That will also make those days where you need to catch up as you forgot 2 days in a row much more awesome.

1455624228017-202566684.jpg A good evening yarn with the old man and now I'm sleeping in the spare room. Bottle was pretty much full now under a quarter left.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has anyone out there had Glenfiddich 21 yo?

I was given a bottle of it to mark a special occasions - it's not something that I would consider buying myself. I feel sick that the person who gave it to me spent $250 on it (based on the prices available online).

It is so tasteless and lacking in complexity and character that it is being relegated to the status of "the decanter whisky". I like to think that I can appreciate a whisky for what it is supposed to be but I have an incredibly hard time appreciating anything about Glenfiddich 21 yo.

It's smooth but that is because it is 30-35%and finishes like water. I did a test with an Aberlour I have, which is 40%, and with a comparative flavour, and it was significantly stronger, smoother and had a better taste. Even my girlfriend, whose only occasionally dabbles, made the observation that it 21 yo seemed to have been watered down.

I know someone who has a bottle of it and he reckons that his was the same (though he enjoyed).

In summary, it makes Johnnie Walker Blue look worth the price tag which is something I did not think was possible. If you want to impress someone with an expensive price-tag look for a limited edition from a distillery that you trust (or fork out for some of the expensive but excellent whisky from Tassie).

Edit: the only qualifier that I can add is that I don't recall having anything that old and that "weakness' may be a feature of really old whisky. It just so happened that my old man had a Glenfiddich sampler pack which included the 18 yo which, while absolutely nothing to write home about, was a world apart from the 21. I doubt that so much could change in that last three years.

Last edited:
That makes a bit of sense. I had the 26 and it was lots of things that a good whisky should be, but I wouldn't call it full of flavour. Very smooth and easy to drink, but I am in record as saying I like a good scotch to be somewhat offensive.

Teeling Small Batch is excellent.

First had it as part of a tasting and could not believe that it is being sold at Dans for only $58.

Really unique character, loaded with flavour but smooth enough to drink a lot of. I think it's now my staple whiskey (better spell it "correctly" in case there are parochial Irish out there).

So recently I decided that I have reached the age where I should start getting properly into whiskey.

I also recently listened to a Tim Ferriss podcast with Richard Betts (The Tattooed Heretic of Wine and Whiskey) which was awesome. (http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/10/05/richard-betts/)

As an aside - I have scrolled through this thread and I don't think it has been addressed but in the podcast he clarifies whiskey (with an E) Vs whisky (with no E). He says, if the country producing it has an E in its name it is called Whiskey (e.g. IrEland, England, UnitEd States, MozambiquE) if there is no E in the country that produces it, then it is called whisky (Scotland, Australia, Canada, Swaziland).

I was also recently overseas and so got duty free booze. I was in a hurry and wanted to spend exactly my remaining Euros, and had to get Hendricks Gin as a first priority so I got Johnnie Walker Double Black as it was the right price and I recognised the name.

Now, JW double black is tasty, I'm drinking it straight, largely because I don't typically have ice trays happening. It is described as "smoky" on the box, apparently as a result of using charred barrels, which Doss I believe is a massive positive, but it is also blended which I think puts it more in the peasant pile.

I started writing this post with the intent to ask some questions, but now I am not sure what they were. Discuss?

It's really a matter of personal preference, mate. Personally I like my whisky/whiskey to taste pretty much like a cigar. But some people like them more velvety and smooth.

So recently I decided that I have reached the age where I should start getting properly into whiskey.

I also recently listened to a Tim Ferriss podcast with Richard Betts (The Tattooed Heretic of Wine and Whiskey) which was awesome. (http://fourhourworkweek.com/2015/10/05/richard-betts/)

As an aside - I have scrolled through this thread and I don't think it has been addressed but in the podcast he clarifies whiskey (with an E) Vs whisky (with no E). He says, if the country producing it has an E in its name it is called Whiskey (e.g. IrEland, England, UnitEd States, MozambiquE) if there is no E in the country that produces it, then it is called whisky (Scotland, Australia, Canada, Swaziland).

I was also recently overseas and so got duty free booze. I was in a hurry and wanted to spend exactly my remaining Euros, and had to get Hendricks Gin as a first priority so I got Johnnie Walker Double Black as it was the right price and I recognised the name.

Now, JW double black is tasty, I'm drinking it straight, largely because I don't typically have ice trays happening. It is described as "smoky" on the box, apparently as a result of using charred barrels, which Doss I believe is a massive positive, but it is also blended which I think puts it more in the peasant pile.

I started writing this post with the intent to ask some questions, but now I am not sure what they were. Discuss?

Jack Daniels and Jim Beam both have different spellings of whiskey....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back