The Who 20-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Magic Bus is legendary on Live At Leeds - it really captures all that The Who offered live. What a performance!
Yeah, it's off the charts. That and the 15 minute jam after "My Generation" is just jaw dropping stuff. When they were on, no other band could touch them.

4. Substitute (1966)
from Single

One of The Who's earlier singles, “Substitute” offers multiple clever lyrics from Townshend’s pen and a spectacular rhythm section from Moon and Entwistle. Daltrey also appears to be finding his niche as a frontman and puts forth a memorable performance. You simply cannot beat the classics.

"I was born with a plastic spoon in my mouth" - probably my favourite line from Townshend, which is basically his way of saying "I grew up poor"

3. My Generation (1965)
from My Generation

Their most documented song from the early era and perhaps the most documented from the 60's, My Generation is everything The Who ever was. “I hope I die before I get old.” In a generation full of spokespeople, Townshend may not have been quite as outspoken as his peers, but this simple phrase from “My Generation” continues to capture the essence of its time. Furthermore, the track introduces the arrival of John Entwistle as the undisputed king of his instrument and perhaps the most memorable stutter in all of rock history.

Furthermore, the track introduces the arrival of John Entwistle as the undisputed king of his instrument and perhaps the most memorable stutter in all of rock history.
Not only that, the bit at the end, that resembled the end of their live show, is pure glorious Who at their chaotic and destructive best. Never bettered, in my opinion.

One of The Who's earlier singles, “Substitute” offers multiple clever lyrics from Townshend’s pen and a spectacular rhythm section from Moon and Entwistle. Daltrey also appears to be finding his niche as a frontman and puts forth a memorable performance. You simply cannot beat the classics.
And the reason Entwistle'a bass is so pronounced throughout the song? He was so sick of being mixed low in the mix by the engineers, he (when nobody was looking) quietly boosted his bass volume on the track just before the final mix. Nobody noticed until it was too late.

2. Won't Get Fooled Again (1971)
from Who's Next

The greatest anthem in rock and roll history. The Who didn't hitch a ride on heavy guitar solos like its main competitors to achieve success, they had Moon smashing out the best drum solo in history instead, and Daltrey offering up the greatest scream you'll ever hear.

The synthesiser, organ, Townshend's gretsch and the true rock sound it produces, Moon's drumming and Roger's crispy voice - the song is everthing rock and roll was in the 1970's. A truly symbolic anthem for The Who.

1. Baba O'Riley (1971)
from Who's Next

You can flip a coin on Baba and Won't Get Fooled but I've chosen Baba O'Riley which I believe is a top ten song of all time by any artist. It was written about the Woodstock festival in 1969, the best concert there ever was, detailing the struggles of feeding and serving such a large audience and the drug culture it contained. Townshend combined synthesizer experimentation with three simple chords to create one of the most iconic songs in rock history. With both Townshend and Daltrey delivering memorable lines, this song will long endure.

There are only two songs I've ever listened to for the first time that made me "wow" - they were Stairway to Heaven and Baba O'Riley. Simply an amazing song and in my opinion, The Who's greatest.

2. Won't Get Fooled Again (1971)
from Who's Next

The greatest anthem in rock and roll history. The Who didn't hitch a ride on heavy guitar solos like its main competitors to achieve success, they had Moon smashing out the best drum solo in history instead, and Daltrey offering up the greatest scream you'll ever hear.

The synthesiser, organ, Townshend's gretsch and the true rock sound it produces, Moon's drumming and Roger's crispy voice - the song is everthing rock and roll was in the 1970's. A truly symbolic anthem for The Who.

No mention of Entwistle's superlative and incomparable bass playing?

For shame.

He's already the GOAT, he doesn't need any more praise
Have you ever seen the instructional video he did with Arlen Roth? It's f**king incredible. The look on Roth's face as The Ox is pulling out these preposterous bass lines is hysterical.

Can't say I have but i'll give it a spin
It should be on YouTube. I think the series was called Hot Licks. It goes for an hour. It was done in the mid '80's. They don't cover any specific Who songs (although there is one that sounds very much like the live "Magic Bus"), they just talk technique and scales etc, and then just jam. It made me appreciate his genius even more (if it were possible).

The documentary, An Ox's Tale, is essential viewing also.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And I know it's a cover but this is simply monstrous

That's my favourite cover version. Of anything by anyone.*

*On reflection and in fairness, Elvis Presley's 1970 live cover of "Bridge Over Troubled Water" is right in the frame.

Last edited:
Great thread. I was in band called Naked Eye after the Who song. Anyways this is definitely in my top 5 Who songs - Heaven and Hell

I was in a band that used to do this too. We called ourselves Bargain. Who songs titles make great band names.

1. Baba O'Riley (1971)
from Who's Next

You can flip a coin on Baba and Won't Get Fooled but I've chosen Baba O'Riley which I believe is a top ten song of all time by any artist. It was written about the Woodstock festival in 1969, the best concert there ever was, detailing the struggles of feeding and serving such a large audience and the drug culture it contained. Townshend combined synthesizer experimentation with three simple chords to create one of the most iconic songs in rock history. With both Townshend and Daltrey delivering memorable lines, this song will long endure.

There are only two songs I've ever listened to for the first time that made me "wow" - they were Stairway to Heaven and Baba O'Riley. Simply an amazing song and in my opinion, The Who's greatest.

I've always loved the live version of this song, as shown in The Kids Are Alright. Keith actually seems content to sit back a bit, but his playing is solid. Roger's vocals are powerful from the first line. Townshend seems to have an abundance of energy, and when he does his one-legged manoeuvre near the end, you can even see John Entwistle crack a smile.

Last edited:
My 'The Who' Top Ten

1. Baba O'Riley
2. My Generation
3. Eminence Front (surprised this didn't feature at all)
4. Won't Get Fooled Again
5. I Can See for Miles
6. Behind Blue Eyes
7. I Can't Explain
8. Pinball Wizard
9. Who Are You
10. The Kids are Alright

6. Pinball Wizard (1969)
from Tommy

Perhaps The Who's most recognizable track thanks to Townshend’s urgent opening guitar riff, Pinball Wizard has grown to embody a life of its own. Though it was a last minute addition to the sprawling rock opera Tommy, most Who fans will agree it was one of the group's absolute best.

Plus the opening power bass chords :eek:

My faves

1 I'm Free
2 Substitute
3 I Can See For Miles
4 Acid Queen
5 Our Love Is / Was
6 My Generation
7 Underture / Overture / Sparks [all pretty much the same tune]
8 Pictures of Lily
9 I’m A Boy
10 Call Me Lightning
11 Rael
12 Sunrise
13 >>> Amazing Journey / Sparks

14 I Can’t Reach You
15 Magic Bus
16 Pinball Wizard
17 Odorono
18 Summertime Blues
19 Armenia City In The Sky
20 Relax
21 >>>>> Young Man's Blues
22 >>>>> Baba O’Reilly
23 Tattoo
24 We’re Not Gonna Take It

25 Happy Jack
26 Won’t Get Fooled Again
27 Behind Blue Eyes

28 Mary Ann With The Shaky Hands
29 Eyesight To The Blind

30 The Ox

Harsh on Baba O'Reilly etc but I'm a bit of a stick in the mud :$

Last edited:
My faves

1 I'm Free
2 Substitute
3 I Can See For Miles
4 Acid Queen
5 Our Love Is / Was
6 My Generation
7 Underture / Overture / Sparks [all pretty much the same tune]
8 Pictures of Lily
9 I’m A Boy
10 Call Me Lightning
11 Rael
12 Sunrise

13 I Can’t Reach You
14 Magic Bus
15 Pinball Wizard
16 Odorono
17 Summertime Blues
18 Armenia City In The Sky
19 Relax
20 Tattoo
21 We’re Not Gonna Take It

22 Happy Jack
23 Won’t Get Fooled Again
24 Baba O’Reilly
25 Behind Blue Eyes

26 Mary Ann With The Shaky Hands
27 Eyesight To The Blind
Nice list. I'm guessing you really like The Who Sell Out.

Nice list. I'm guessing you really like The Who Sell Out.
Hah, well spotted. Some of the songs on there are stunningly beautiful and I love the ads in between the tracks :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back