List Mgmt. Delisting and drafting is almost as fun as trading: The trade and draft megathread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then a multi way deal with cats, they offload few players off their list to free up space( Menzel is gone, maybe Duncan and even one of taylor or Henderson and Zac smith). We get Kelly and maybe even a first round. Gaff could end up at Cats for 750-850 a year plus unlimited supply of little creatures.

Well Kelly is also contracted but they know he wants to leave. That's why. Win win for both otherwise Cats could get nothing for Kelly basically.

Or they keep Kelly to his contract for 2019 and out bid for Gaff and have both for next season. At the end of 2019 they'd still have Gaff anyway. Either way, they are losing Kelly. They dont need to trade for Gaff.

Or they keep Kelly to his contract for 2019 and out bid for Gaff and have both for next season. At the end of 2019 they'd still have Gaff anyway. Either way, they are losing Kelly. They dont need to trade for Gaff.

In what timeline can Geelong outbid anyone for Gaff?

In what world would WC match the offer and then trade him? Keeping gaff is better than any other alternative.
Do you understand how RFA works?

In what world would WC match the offer and then trade him? Keeping gaff is better than any other alternative.
In the world where it gives us the leverage to get something better back than an end of first round pick.
If Gaff goes back to Melbourne it's for family reasons so he's still going to want to go back to Victoria even if we are willing to pay him the same money as a team over there. So we match (or threaten to match like Adelaide with Dangerfield), Gaff still wants to leave and the ball is now in the Victorian team's court to work out a trade with us. There's no way he's going to want to walk and go into the draft to picked up by Carlton because he also wants a chance at success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No, you're wrong.

Straight from the horses mouth

"Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft"

Oh and nice deleted reply by the way. I did see the profanity you tried to throw my way.

Last edited:
Straight from the horses mouth

"Restricted free agents have the right to move to a club of their choice, subject to the current club’s right of first refusal over their services. That is, if the current club can ‘match’ the offer from a suitor club, the player must stay or enter the draft"
Nope you're wrong - An offer to a restricted free agent may be matched by his club, which has right of first refusal over his services. If the unrestricted free agent does not wish to remain with his original club, he must enter the draft or seek a trade.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency
4th paragraph from the top

It does have a typo in it and says unrestricted in the second sentence, but is clearly referring to a restricted free agent seeing as you can't really trade an unrestricted free agent.

Nope you're wrong - An offer to a restricted free agent may be matched by his club, which has right of first refusal over his services. If the unrestricted free agent does not wish to remain with his original club, he must enter the draft or seek a trade.

http://www.afl.com.au/afl-hq/the-afl-explained/free-agency
4th paragraph from the top

Jesus, mate. Of course he can ask for a trade. But the fact is, we dont HAVE to. Hence my entire point. my god, man.

And the reality from my understanding is that its a financial thing more than the family thing. If we meet the financial clout of the roos, gaff will likely be happy and no idea why we would then go on and trade him. My Point. Get it now?

You aren't from Baldivis by any chance are you, with all your inside knowledge on what would satisfy Gaff?

I lived and worked in Claremont with his gf for years. Been to dinner with the bloke with friends a few times and spoke to his gf a month ago.

But, that being said. I actually doubt WC will even match the offer anyway so all this debate is for naught.

I lived and worked in Claremont with his gf for years. Been to dinner with the bloke with friends a few times and spoke to his gf a month ago.

But, that being said. I actually doubt WC will even match the offer anyway so all this debate is for naught.
There's a lot of people on here who seem to know his girlfriend.
Have you spoken to her since his fathers health scare?

There's a lot of people on here who seem to know his girlfriend.
Have you spoken to her since his fathers health scare?

I knew her before her career change to teaching, we are FB friends but i wont post to prove it. She always said if a great offer came she would move East and it was before the scare. But as I said, WC wont match so this is just a useless debate. Gaff will leave. Im sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back