The Wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to the inagral ihana 2022 Shiraz opening with Valtteri Bottis & winemaker Corrina Wright yesterday at Oliver's Taranga.

Very down to earth & answered questions, signed everything... & most importantly his wine is decent drop & keeper.

Then got stuck talking to Valtteri & partner Tiffany after in car park & just happened to park next to him.

Spent much of the day at Beach Road... good Fiano & great Grenache.

Went for a visit to these guys recently

Would recommend
Which wines & ciders did you enjoy the most?

Which wines & ciders did you enjoy the most?
Annoyingly I didn't get to try the ciders , but the Juice they are made from was nice.

Their Cab Sav and Shiraz were both nice

Rose very Quaffable. The food is pretty good too, and they've set it up to be very chill.

Kane McGoodwin said i should drop by. Forgive a melbourne based essendon fan but SA > Vic and im always on the crows unless we're playing them :p

Subscribing for the tips
Tonight is a Tscharke GSM taking in the lovely eden valley air.

Went to the inagral ihana 2022 Shiraz opening with Valtteri Bottis & winemaker Corrina Wright yesterday at Oliver's Taranga.

Very down to earth & answered questions, signed everything... & most importantly his wine is decent drop & keeper.

Then got stuck talking to Valtteri & partner Tiffany after in car park & just happened to park next to him.

Spent much of the day at Beach Road... good Fiano & great Grenache.
This would have been cool. Huge bottas fan. And OTs wine as well.

Kane McGoodwin said i should drop by. Forgive a melbourne based essendon fan but SA > Vic and im always on the crows unless we're playing them :p

Subscribing for the tips
Tonight is a Tscharke GSM taking in the lovely eden valley air.

This would have been cool. Huge bottas fan. And OTs wine as well.
Good choice with Tscharke wines.

Few years ago we had Damien Tscharke present their wines to my club & very enjoyable.

BTW, we welcome wine lovers from any club on this thread.

Good choice with Tscharke wines.

Few years ago we had Damien Tscharke present their wines to my club & very enjoyable.

BTW, we welcome wine lovers from any club on this thread.
Damians my favourite in a long list of winemakers up here.
Im yet to try anything he makes that i dont love.
The montepulciano is our through the week drinker.

I know this is a Crows thread but Kane extended what I took as an open invitation on the main board thread to discuss wine.

As I've got older I find the heavy drops- Shiraz and Cab Sav just too much for my palate these days. Vic, Tas and NZ does the pinot noir well and to a lesser degree grenache. Are there any SA wineries doing the lighter reds you recommend?

I know this is a Crows thread but Kane extended what I took as an open invitation on the main board thread to discuss wine.

As I've got older I find the heavy drops- Shiraz and Cab Sav just too much for my palate these days. Vic, Tas and NZ does the pinot noir well and to a lesser degree grenache. Are there any SA wineries doing the lighter reds you recommend?
Gibson have a nice Merlot
Brothers at War do an exceptional range of Grenache
Somerled's Reserve Pinot is the best i've had.
Tscharke has some great red's across the Grenache, GSM, Montepulciano varietels.
Rosenvale another one doing great lighter reds too.
Samuel's gorge too

We welcome all wine consumers, especially those with good taste

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think a good topic is recommended reds at $10 a bottle for everyday non special drinking.
Getting harder to find but I'm sure there's some unheralded gems out there
$10, that is a challenge.

The closest I can do is Elephant in the Room Pinot Noir @ $13 ish (you can get it for less )

Cat Amongst the Pigeons Cab Sauv is <$15

I'm going to have to go quaffing

Welcome!

Best SA pinot I have tasted in the last decade would be Ashton Hills... but not a quaffer but for special occasions.

I mentioned Duane Coates wines earlier in this thread & he does a great Pinot too.

Best SA Pinots are in Adelaide Hills as cooler climate than other SA regions.

2 other good Hills wineries who make a good pinot.
Pyke & Joyce

Anderson's Hill

All these Hills wineries do softer style reds compared to other regions.

Last edited:
Use to buy Mike Press as my quaffer wine before moving on to Burke Salter.

Has anyone tried his wines lately?
Was gonna post Mike press
The wine bar near ours stocks his for $14-$16 and im baffled why he isn't charging more

The Shiraz is really good

Was gonna post Mike press
The wine bar near ours stocks his for $14-$16 and im baffled why he isn't charging more

The Shiraz is really good
Used to buy them by the case for $10 per bottle.

I'm not a wine man but I'm s**tfaced right now so I'll contribute to this thread.
Clare Valley wines are the only ones I go for but bourbons get just as s**tfaced so they'll do for me.
Go Crows.

39 + 40 degree heat not the most conducive for winery visiting.
but popped into Thorn-Clarke on saturday. some cracking wines (even a rose i didn't mind)

the William Randell & Ron Thorn worth the $$
Was better weather for Rose!

Was it a drier style?

Best Rose tends to use Grenache.

Turkey Flat
Charlie Melton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back