The Wine thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Just copped a scowling, rude, pretentious tart who was giving one word answers at a maximum, mainly grunting as a response, slamming bottles. Sighed when asked to taste the premiums and when asked about their 'moon in line with saturn' wine got a "yeah, we're biodynamic" in a dont ask a stupid question tone, despite the fact I wanted a bigger explanation as to the relevance and why its considered good to pick that variety at that time etc.

So I dont know if she got given a warning or had some personal issue on the day which caused her to be in a shocking mood, but it was incredibly bad. I've had cold or unresponsive customer service before but never aggresively rude customer service. Doubt ill bother purchasing anything from Cullen again.

Dont get me wrong, I really enjoyed Voyager, I've loved the wine for years and the restaurant was stunning. It just seemed all too rigid. Employing an "official greeter" to do nothing but open the front door and direct people where to stand at the tasting bar, to the black and gold vests & ties that looked more in line with a wedding party, to what seemed like set rehearsed lines on each of the wine, said in barely audible tones. It seemed more like we were tasting wine at a funeral parlour and didnt want to speak too loud in case we disturbed something. Very professional and clinical in how they run it, but lacked the personal feel that I personally love at wineries, where you can have a joke and a laugh and push to get more info out of the cellar door staff on the wines.

Just copped a scowling, rude, pretentious tart who was giving one word answers at a maximum, mainly grunting as a response, slamming bottles. Sighed when asked to taste the premiums and when asked about their 'moon in line with saturn' wine got a "yeah, we're biodynamic" in a dont ask a stupid question tone, despite the fact I wanted a bigger explanation as to the relevance and why its considered good to pick that variety at that time etc.

So I dont know if she got given a warning or had some personal issue on the day which caused her to be in a shocking mood, but it was incredibly bad. I've had cold or unresponsive customer service before but never aggresively rude customer service. Doubt ill bother purchasing anything from Cullen again.

That's not great. Perhaps write to them politely and mention you had come some way, so this was a bit disappointing

Not much interest in tasting notes, but tonight:
1986 Jadot bonnes mares - faded, but delicate & sweet with hard spices
1998 Vogue Chambolle Musigny 1er Cru. Bit closed, but lovely blur/red cherry fruit. Lovely cherry pit acidity
1997 CH simone palette blanc. En magnum faded but with lovely mineral salts and orange blossom
1996 Palacios Finca Dofi, priorat - s**t. Glossy colour, new world oak, alcohol heat, no flavour. The sort of wine the morons at wine front would fap over. All front n no trouser
Yalumba 50 yr old tawny. Awesome freshness and attack overlaying almonds, olives, caramel flavours. Superb. A genuinely world class australian wine.

Taylor's Shiraz (currently 2010) at $12.80 (any 6) from Dan Murphy's has to be the best value red in Australia. It drinks like a much more expensive Clare Valley Shiraz. And at the price you can drink it every night.:thumbsu:

Even the cheaper (non region specific) Taylors Promised Land Shiraz at under $9 is a decent cheap wine, and more drinkable than many $15-$25 bottles.

Dan Murphys prices are crazy, i stopped going there because the Liquorland around the corner was so convenient. There is a 40% premium on most bottles at Liqourland compared to DM's. Buying cases from DM's from now on.

With in-laws in WA, we make the trek over the wine regions every couple of years. Your experience at Cullen was nearly exactly what we received Macca, and also copped similar experiences at Cape Mentelle (complete w***er behind the jump) and Leeuwin Estate (smarmy teenager working on a production line of tasters). Would much prefer the gang at Flametree and Brown Hill where it is more intimate and the wines aren't as widely known. Much prefer heading to SA where the likes of Pete Balnaves, Jeff Grosset and Rebecca Willson won't just be there for a chat, but will also join in the tasting session.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Had a bottle of '98 John Riddoch (My last one sadly) & '05 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Saturday night. JR is probably my favorite Coonawarra Cab sav, it was magnificent!

Had a bottle of '98 John Riddoch (My last one sadly) & '05 Leeuwin Estate Art Series Saturday night. JR is probably my favorite Coonawarra Cab sav, it was magnificent!

I have a double magnum of the '99 JR sitting in the cellar at the moment. Will probably get a run at the next milestone birthday.

Picked up some 2011 Flynns MC Shiraz (a smallish Heathcote producer) from a recent auction at less than half the price from cellar door. Had a few of the previous vintages, but didn't think the current vintage was going to stack up as well as say the '04's or '10's. Was very impressed by it, and whilst young and acidic, this will be a very good wine for a number of years. A little hidden gem.

Have you tried the 2010 stuff?, $15 or so, not the worst drop in the world for everyday drinking.
No haven't tried it, don't drink much wine these days so it's usually just the good stuff in my collection when I do.

Wynns is probably my favourite winery. Just so damn consistent year in year out, from their cheap stuff to their premiums.

I was at a tasting with one of the winemakers (Larry?) at Hahndorf Hill, and he was explaining some of his biodynamic 'beliefs.' At first, I thought he was taking the piss, but after a while I started to feel uncomfortable. Really uncomfortable, hoping that what I was thinking wasn't overtly revealed on my face.

I enjoyed the wine (especially the chardonnay - loved it), and I guess that's all that matters in the end, but are these guys for real? I understand the organic philosophy, but the astrology stuff was a bit much to take . . .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back