The winning numbers are 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15

Remove this Banner Ad

This should put the new club on a more solid footing than the poor old bears 20 years ago. All this plus the first pick in each round and a max of one uncontracted player from each club. Thank God our rebuild should be done by then.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,24252779-19742,00.html

• THE new Gold Coast club will have the first three picks in the 2010 national draft among nine first-round selections.
Gold Coast will have picks 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11, 13 and 15, and then take top spot in each subsequent round.
That means the bottom team in 2010 will have pick No. 4, with that year's premier having to wait until selection 25 for its first pick.
While clubs at, or near, the bottom of the ladder will be aghast at the drain on the best young talent in the country, seven of the existing 16 clubs were represented on the sub-committee that produced the formula.

It was adopted by the AFL Commission at its meeting on Monday, and will bring a warm smile to the faces of Gold Coast coach Guy McKenna and recruiting manager Scott Clayton.

Gold Coast also will have access to a maximum of one out-of-contract player from each of the existing clubs after the 2010 season.
That's on top of a selection of up to 20 of the best under-18 prospects in Queensland during the next two years, three of whom have already been claimed.
Clubs that lose out-of-contract players to the Gold Coast will be compensated with a draft choice to be determined, a choice that may be exercised any time during the subsequent five national drafts.

The AFL is likely to announce the draft package to club chief executives at league headquarters today.
The meeting had been called to announce details of the AFL's refined drugs policy, which will retain the three strikes but subject players to hair-testing, as tipped for several months.
While the Gold Coast package will shock supporters of Melbourne and other clubs fearful of being near the bottom in 2010, it is no more generous than the assistance Fremantle, Port Adelaide and West Coast received.
The AFL wisely involved club representatives in the exercise, which means both the interests of the competition and the clubs have been acknowledged.

This also leads to a few more questions:

1) Will West Sydney get the same deal in the 2011 draft??? [in preparation of a 2012 entry into the AFL]

2) Will Gold Coast have any further concessions in the 2011 draft, or will the draft resort back to uncompromised, based on the ladder [forgetting the West Sydney equation]

3) Will those draft picks be tradeable???

This also leads to a few more questions:

1) Will West Sydney get the same deal in the 2011 draft??? [in preparation of a 2012 entry into the AFL]

2) Will Gold Coast have any further concessions in the 2011 draft, or will the draft resort back to uncompromised, based on the ladder [forgetting the West Sydney equation]

3) Will those draft picks be tradeable???

1. Most likely

2. Nowhere near the amount of concessions they will have in 2010

3. Yes. Half the idea behind loading GC up with first round picks is so they can offer them to clubs for their star players.

I would be very suprised if the GC team used all their picks to draft young players. I imagine they would want to trade pis 1,2 and 3. But the rest of the picks especiall the picks in the teens would be used to draft ready made AFL players. So the draft won't be as one sided as people suggest, it could also be a good opportunity for teams to trade for picks they wouldn't normally even think of.

Absolutely kills any team trying to rebuild.

They have the potential to pick up a Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd trio with those first three picks, hell they would be able to fill their team full of young stars with 9 inside the first 15, would seem almost idiotic to trade them away(Those of you thinking they should trade for stars, why would they trade for 25+yo stars when they could develop their own 18yo stars), just get a couple of middle of the road players by trading away 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, and develop the first 9 from the 2010 draft.

They have the potential to pick up a Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd trio with those first three picks, hell they would be able to fill their team full of young stars with 9 inside the first 15, would seem almost idiotic to trade them away(Those of you thinking they should trade for stars, why would they trade for 25+yo stars when they could develop their own 18yo stars), just get a couple of middle of the road players by trading away 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, and develop the first 9 from the 2010 draft.

Yup, or they could pick up a Goddard, Wells and Brennan with those first 3 picks. To a degree, I think you're right though. There'll be a lot of work for the coaching staff to get the team working the way they want, if they're smart they'll time their run for 3-4 years after they enter the comp, so tank early and get a couple of seasons of priority picks first ;)

They have the potential to pick up a Luke Hodge, Luke Ball, Chris Judd trio with those first three picks, hell they would be able to fill their team full of young stars with 9 inside the first 15, would seem almost idiotic to trade them away (Those of you thinking they should trade for stars, why would they trade for 25+yo stars when they could develop their own 18yo stars), just get a couple of middle of the road players by trading away 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, and develop the first 9 from the 2010 draft.

Stats will show you that not every top 15 pick is a gun, a team made of 18 year old top 15 picks will not guarantee success and will not guarantee everyone of those picks will gun players. They need a balance of established player 23,24,25 year olds to at least be compettitive in their first seasons.

They could easily get some quality players with pick 9 11 13 and 15.

Stats will show you that not every top 15 pick is a gun, a team made of 18 year old top 15 picks will not guarantee success and will not guarantee everyone of those picks will gun players. They need a balance of established player 23,24,25 year olds to at least be compettitive in their first seasons.

They could easily get some quality players with pick 9 11 13 and 15.
As I said, they should trade their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, and maybe 15 for some middle of the road players, odds are that the players they draft will at least be average players.

You also have to remember that those 'established' player won't necessarily be good at GC17, not all trades work out well, they might want to be somewhat competitive in their first seasons, but they are also establishing a brand new club, it is guaranteed to take them a few years for anything special to happen, and going with the kids, plus future draft picks could work out alot better than trading for suspect 25+yo's.

As I said, they should trade their 2nd, 3rd and 4th round picks, and maybe 15 for some middle of the road players, odds are that the players they draft will at least be average players.

You also have to remember that those 'established' player won't necessarily be good at GC17, not all trades work out well, they might want to be somewhat competitive in their first seasons, but they are also establishing a brand new club, it is guaranteed to take them a few years for anything special to happen, and going with the kids, plus future draft picks could work out alot better than trading for suspect 25+yo's.

Someone like Kerr is not suspect on field he is proven match winner, there less risk in trading than drafting players, you have to remmever not all draft picks work out.

Take Melbourne for example in the 2001 super draft we picked Luke Molan never played a gam was riddled with injuries, i am sure if Melbourne had the opportuinty that GC17 have and trade pick 9 for a quality player they would do so. Hindsight is wonderful thing, but this example although not thr best and full of what ifs, just shows that a top 10 pick doesn guarantee you a great player.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting to think that we could get 2-3 high draft picks if we want to offload Rooey. I'm not saying I want to get rid of him but if we play our cards right 1 and another <10 could be ours.

Someone like Kerr is not suspect on field he is proven match winner, there less risk in trading than drafting players, you have to remmever not all draft picks work out.

If I was GC I would definitely not be going after Kerr. You are going to be building a club culture and you want disciplined team players. Kerr is not disciplined enough and prone to frustration. I would keep picks 1, 2 and 3 to go for young stars to build around, but I'd shop around the rest aiming to keep at the very least three out of picks 5, 7, 8, 11, 13 and 15. I'd be demanding quality for those picks though.

If this was draft 2004 the players they may have got:
1. Brett Deledio
2. Jarryd Roughead
3. Ryan Griffen
5. Lance Franklin
7. Jordan Lewis
9. Jordan Russell
11. Adam Thomson
13. Matthew Bate
15. Lynden Dunn
Quite freaky (Thanks AFL Teams:p)

It was reported in mx yesterday that the GC17 wanted more. They actually wanted the first 20 picks and be able to trade 10 of those for seasoned players arguing that they require players of various ages, not all the same age or they will struggle.

Why don't they just ask for the All Australian team of 2009?

I'm starting to think that we could get 2-3 high draft picks if we want to offload Rooey. I'm not saying I want to get rid of him but if we play our cards right 1 and another <10 could be ours.
More likely your club would be trading away a draft pick as well, say a third- or fourth-rounder, so the GC club can use it to draft or trade for another player. Without swapping picks, they'd effectively be trading for last pick in the draft.

More likely your club would be trading away a draft pick as well, say a third- or fourth-rounder, so the GC club can use it to draft or trade for another player. Without swapping picks, they'd effectively be trading for last pick in the draft.
Heard one of the GC17 team bid team (who's name I've just gorgotten) interviewed on SEN the other day. He objected to the term "draft concessions", saying it should be called "draft establishment" as they are a brand new team.

More importantly, he also said they would trade at least half their draft picks for established AFL players, as they can't just field a a bunch of teenage kids for the first couple of years, or they would be totally smashed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back