FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

I would guess most people in hear.Have seen OZ?
Almost too cult-ish. Very good show but it's so rugged and heavy in some parts, it gets hard to watch. I ended up not being able to find streams toward the end so I've only seen half but wouldn't mind continuing with it. Definitely a show I'd like to watch start to end one day in a big marathon.

I turned Oz off when it turned in a gay soap opera. Also, didn't a study find that there are more deaths in Oz than there were in the worst prisons in the world combined or something?

I turned Oz off when it turned in a gay soap opera. Also, didn't a study find that there are more deaths in Oz than there were in the worst prisons in the world combined or something?
Is this before or after the main white dude basically accepts his position and starts dressing like a woman? That made me feel ******* sick.

I liked the opening monologues though and there were some good characters and ideas being toyed with, also a lot of average/paper thin/flat ones.

rocker_oz33 seems like we share same taste in drama. Thx for referring The Corner.

Looking for something new (old) to watch. Have you seen or heard reviews on Treme? Ray Donovan? Or perhaps something else you recommend? Cheers bud.

I just couldn't get into Treme. Not really sure why. I think I watched the first 5 eps or so.

Just watched the first ep of Ray Donovan the other night, seems pretty good but it's early days.
Yeah Treme tried pretty hard. It was a really obviously presented idea of stuff in the Wire: black identity cross-roads, the death of America, dying industries or institutions...

It was all way too obvious. And naturally you consider it along with the Wire so it is hard to read these things separately.

The second half of Treme's first season picked up a fair bit. I struggled through the first half, even took a break from it for a while, then ended up tearing through the back half. Haven't got around to the second season and beyond yet, but I plan to. It's not The Wire, but it's still good.

rocker_oz33 seems like we share same taste in drama. Thx for referring The Corner.

Looking for something new (old) to watch. Have you seen or heard reviews on Treme? Ray Donovan? Or perhaps something else you recommend? Cheers bud.
I havent watched much treme. Ray donovan is worth a watch.
For something different try "rescue me"

been discussed here abouts - old Aussie shows Phoenix & Janus are a great watch, very similar vibe to The Wire.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah it's bullshit Blue Murder is forgotten about and Underbelly is lauded from series 2 on. Have never watched Phoenix or Janus.

Yeah it's bullshit Blue Murder is forgotten about and Underbelly is lauded from series 2 on. Have never watched Phoenix or Janus.
Series 1 of Underbelly is "lauded", the later series... not so much. The second series (A Tale of Two Cities) was OK, though we could all have done without seeing so much of Matthew Newton's naked body. Things went downhill with every series after that. The first series was the best, by a country mile.

Don't get me wrong the first series was excellent but after that...jesus. Even the first series was kind of an enabler for wannabe gangsters from Sunshine who got off on the Melbourne Gangland War.

I still use quotes from The Wire in day to day usage all the time with my friends.

My mate wanted to call his dog Avon Barksdale.

Underbelly is total s**t. It's just awful... the lame acting, the poor dialogue... it also just shows gangsters as tough when good shows offer something else and describe the characters as real people, or go to suggest warfare is all a load of bullshit. The Sopranos and The Wire have people who are arseholes but totally affable at the same time, they have cool pricks, they have the s**t soldiers, they have the bureaucracy and bullshit... Underbelly just says 'these guys are so hard and tough and killed people and liked women and money!' when all of that s**t is a cliché.

It's down there with Crime Scene Investigation, or Bones, or whatever else NCIS-tier garbage is on TV – all gloss and tough looks and good v bad.

Underbelly is total s**t. It's just awful... the lame acting, the poor dialogue... it also just shows gangsters as tough when good shows offer something else and describe the characters as real people, or go to suggest warfare is all a load of bullshit. The Sopranos and The Wire have people who are arseholes but totally affable at the same time, they have cool pricks, they have the s**t soldiers, they have the bureaucracy and bullshit... Underbelly just says 'these guys are so hard and tough and killed people and liked women and money!' when all of that s**t is a cliché.

It's down there with Crime Scene Investigation, or Bones, or whatever else NCIS-tier garbage is on TV – all gloss and tough looks and good v bad.

Agreed. There was no real menace in any of the Underbelly characters and they way they portrayed Williams as a kind of useless comical fatso was wild.

Williams was a conniving smart bastard who had hitmen and dirty cops in his pocket, enough money to pay anyone to do anything and an absolute Shakesperian ruthless streak in him - killing the whole Moran family. Add to the fact he was cracked out of his face most of the time too.

The portrayal of Veniamin was shithouse too. Horrible violent, nasty hideous individual, who didn't speak with a NIDA accent.

The Irish series Love/Hate is very good for its realistic gangster portrayals.

Anyone fellow fans of The Wire
Need to check HBOs The Corner by David Simon.
Its a 6 episode mini series and sorta like a prequel to The Wire.
Ive been watching it on foxtel play.

Edit - you guys were already talking bout it lol

Agreed. There was no real menace in any of the Underbelly characters and they way they portrayed Williams as a kind of useless comical fatso was wild.

Williams was a conniving smart bastard who had hitmen and dirty cops in his pocket, enough money to pay anyone to do anything and an absolute Shakesperian ruthless streak in him - killing the whole Moran family. Add to the fact he was cracked out of his face most of the time too.

The portrayal of Veniamin was shithouse too. Horrible violent, nasty hideous individual, who didn't speak with a NIDA accent.

The Irish series Love/Hate is very good for its realistic gangster portrayals.

NIDA accent?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back