FTA-TV The Wire

estibador

purple haze
Mar 2, 2007
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Liverpool, Cowboys, Packers, Scorchers
Just getting through it now. It's good without being great, although maybe that's because I've over-hyped it.

I watched the first ep of Homicide: Life on the Street last night after seeing all the hype it gets from Wire fans, and that was my first impression too - good without being great (yet).

Just started S4. Have enjoyed S3-4 a lot more, but I'm just finding it difficult to follow plots.

Season 4 is best one IMO.

Its really a show that needs 2 viewings though but during the first viewing I was a bit like you it wasnt till after that I realised just how good it was.

Last edited:
I watched the first ep of Homicide: Life on the Street last night after seeing all the hype it gets from Wire fans, and that was my first impression too - good without being great (yet).

Its not as good as the wire overall imo but there are some great eps, in particlular 3 Men and Adena which is one of the all time great TV episodes, its early in season 1. Andre Braugher kills it as Frank Pembleton too.

Last edited:
Might binge watch it this weekend once the chores are out of the way tonight

I struggle to do that, after an ep or two my attention wanders too much. They're long eps with a lot happening.

I struggle to do that, after an ep or two my attention wanders too much. They're long eps with a lot happening.
First time I watched The Wire I was recovering from an operation and dosed up on Endone. It's the perfect way to binge watch!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Probably more an indictment on yourself rather then the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Did I say it was a criticism of the show? What a silly comment.

It's a show with no strong, over arching plot but rather, like The Sopranos takes its strength from its realism of lurching from one thread to the next. That can be hard to binge.

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I think it might be normal to have a shaky start between The Wire and Homicide. I remember having a shaky start with Homicide in 2009, but by 2010 I was absolutely hooked and came to even prefer it in time. Each to their own though, and I'm not claiming it is the greater work, I just love it more deeply.

On that note, hard to believe The Wire almost finished a decade ago now. I'm still in my twenties, but that makes me feel so old.

treefingers

Cancelled
Jan 20, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
The Sopranos
Deadwood
Breaking Bad

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
I've started watching the Sopranos straight after finishing the whole series of the Wire, and I must admit I've been a bit underwhelmed. I'd place The Wire/Breaking Bad as miles ahead of the Sopranos (I've watched 3 seasons).

Am I missing something here? It's good, but it's nowhere near what I thought it would be

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
I've started watching the Sopranos straight after finishing the whole series of the Wire, and I must admit I've been a bit underwhelmed. I'd place The Wire/Breaking Bad as miles ahead of the Sopranos (I've watched 3 seasons).

Am I missing something here? It's good, but it's nowhere near what I thought it would be
The Sopranos is quality drama all the way through, although it does start to feel a wee bit repetitive towards the end of S2. Agree it is a rung below The Wire and Breaking Bad.

rooboy_07

King In The North
Nov 7, 2007
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Man Utd, Trailblazers, SJSharks

TBH after watching the wire everything will feel inferior. Greatest show ever.

Edit: and I do love the sopranos it is sensational

Last edited:
Was listening to a basketball podcast today, however the episode was dedicated to the wire - in particular an interview with an author that has written a new behind the scenes book. It made for great listening and the writer has got another sale out of me.

Enjoy

Thanks for the heads up on this. Got around to listening to it yesterday. Very interesting chat. The only drawback of it was that Zach wasn't exactly an uber-fan like Abrams (or me lol) so a few times they couldn't go as deep into it as I would have liked. Even still, I could listen to 10+ hours of that type of chat about The Wire. I'm definitely going to buy the book.

Also it might have inspired me to do a 7th watch through.

Back