FTA-TV The Wire

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
Thanks for the heads up on this. Got around to listening to it yesterday. Very interesting chat. The only drawback of it was that Zach wasn't exactly an uber-fan like Abrams (or me lol) so a few times they couldn't go as deep into it as I would have liked. Even still, I could listen to 10+ hours of that type of chat about The Wire. I'm definitely going to buy the book.

Also it might have inspired me to do a 7th watch through.

No worries man - I was just listening to the podcast at work thinking it was going to be about Basketball as usual (he does a lot of great interviews with GM's, Reporters and even Coaches like Steve Kerr - if anyone is interested) but was pleasantly surprised to hear it was all about the Wire.

Thought there would a few others on here that would appreciate listening to it.

My book arrived yesterday too, looking forward to starting it over the weekend.

No worries man - I was just listening to the podcast at work thinking it was going to be about Basketball as usual (he does a lot of great interviews with GM's, Reporters and even Coaches like Steve Kerr - if anyone is interested) but was pleasantly surprised to hear it was all about the Wire.

Yeah will definitely keep listening to it for bball as well. I used to read Grantland back in the day and although I don't keep as up to date on NBA as I used to, I've recently got really into podcasts so I'm always rapt to subscribe to as many as possible that are up my alley.

How you going with All The Pieces Matter? I'm about half way through now.

It's a very interesting read. Andre Royo is fantastic - great insights from him. Loved the reaction from his Mum when Ed Burns said they casted him as Bubbles because he captured the character of an addict hahaha. I was also unaware of Bob Colesberry's death and the massive impact he had on the show. So interesting about the character of Ray Cole's funeral and the connection to Coleberry in real life.

Aug 31, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Nuggets
How you going with All The Pieces Matter? I'm about half way through now.

It's a very interesting read. Andre Royo is fantastic - great insights from him. Loved the reaction from his Mum when Ed Burns said they casted him as Bubbles because he captured the character of an addict hahaha. I was also unaware of Bob Colesberry's death and the massive impact he had on the show. So interesting about the character of Ray Cole's funeral and the connection to Coleberry in real life.

Haven't started it just yet, I'm finishing one of the wheel of time series now and should be done with it by the end of the week - really looking forward to this one

Haven't started it just yet, I'm finishing one of the wheel of time series now and should be done with it by the end of the week - really looking forward to this one
Cool cool. There are a lot of great insights into the show. Won't mention any other spoilers :)

Also, Mat Cauthon ftw

Last edited:

MC Bad Genius

No, not THAT MC Bad Genius. The other one.
Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Just started a rewatch a few nights ago and already burned through the first season. A very deserved contender for greatest show of all time. So many iconic characters (Omar, Stringer, Bunk, Lester etc), amazing writing and overall story, plus that incredible sense of realism you just don't get from many other shows.

Strongly recommend everyone in this thread start a rewatch if they haven't recently!

Apr 28, 2008
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Arsenal Kilmarnock
It's been a long time for me. My last rewatch of S1-4 was in the second half of 2009. Then the R4 DVD of S5 finally came out at the start of 2010 and I watched that twice. Been over 8 years :eek: I've even rewatched Homicide: LOTS twice or thrice in that time!

Silent Alarm

sack Lyon
10k Posts
Jul 9, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'm rewatching now though on a hiatus. I've done seasons again though but fizzled out a bit. Amazing show of course but so fulfilling second time around, the extra details you take in somehow make the storylines just as fresh too.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Which streaming service is this show available on ?
On foxtel's streaming. I think it's called Foxtel Now, or it used to be and it's now Foxtel Go. If you're ever wondering where to stream (or download or rent) shows, www.justwatch.com/au is normally pretty good at letting you know where to find it.

On foxtel's streaming. I think it's called Foxtel Now, or it used to be and it's now Foxtel Go. If you're ever wondering where to stream (or download or rent) shows, www.justwatch.com/au is normally pretty good at letting you know where to find it.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated

revo333

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 7, 2018
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I'm jealous you get to experience it all for the first time. I know you're only two episodes in, but have you got any favourite characters yet?

No favourites yet but first impression is the show has been cast pretty well. No one I dislike yet.

Game of thrones has made me not to get too attached to characters.

power09

Club Legend
Dec 7, 2008
Burra SA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Timberwolves
I'm jealous you get to experience it all for the first time. I know you're only two episodes in, but have you got any favourite characters yet?
The characters develop way too subtly to have favorites after two episodes, makes it more fulfilling in the long run though.

MC Bad Genius

Apr 15, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
I just started series 2 , it's the one I remembered least.

Still the best TV show ever, I tried watching MadMen and the Sopranos and they just can't compete.
I haven't re-watched either for a long time, but they are both great shows too. A step below The Wire for sure, but The Sopranos is often referred to as the show that brought on the golden age of TV.

Back