Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Am about a third of the way through and have played about three games of Gwent.

Should I continue to plough through the main and side quests and not worry about Gwent until NG+, or should I cut my losses and jump down the rabbit hole?

Should I continue to plough through the main and side quests and not worry about Gwent until NG+, or should I cut my losses and jump down the rabbit hole?

Jump down the rabbit hole and enter wonderland.

0f5ye9cffwe61.jpg

Visit every innkeep you can possibly find and buy their Gwent cards (if they have any), then start playing for real. It's a pain playing it with a bad deck. Are you in Skellige yet? The inkeep at Arinbjorn has a very good card.

Visit every innkeep you can possibly find and buy their Gwent cards (if they have any), then start playing for real. It's a pain playing it with a bad deck. Are you in Skellige yet? The inkeep at Arinbjorn has a very good card.
Still in Novigrad.

Just met up with Vernon Roche.

Sounds like it's time to fast travel to all the innkeeps in White Orchard and Velen and buy some cards.

Still in Novigrad.

Sounds like it's time to fast travel to all the innkeeps in White Orchard and Velen and buy some cards.
Look up a guide, because there are missable cards.

Still in Novigrad.

Inkeep in white orchid will be gone. Go to merchant near the fast travel point for the cards.

You'll also gain a random card from playing randoms.

Look up a guide, because there are missable cards.
So much this, if you're going for the Gwent trophies.

If you don't care about the trophies and just wanna smash come Gwent its probably not essential. First playthrough in 2015 I didn't, was still ragdolling everyone with a Northern Realms spy focused deck by about halfway through.

Must admit though I'm having a heap fun doing a trophy run this time round with a Monster deck, just takes a bit longer to get all the muster cards to make it viable.

Last edited:
Well, after 3 months and 138 hours play time its done, plat in 1 playthrough. Think I'm gonna take a little gaming break now lol

Kinda wanted to get a different ending than the first time I played it but couldn't really bring myself to be a dick to anyone, so ended up 'good' ending again where Ciri becomes a witcher and Geralt retires with Yen.

Thanks dwwaino for the recommendation to play on Death March from the outset, really enjoyed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, after 3 months and 138 hours play time its done, plat in 1 playthrough. Think I'm gonna take a little gaming break now lol

Kinda wanted to get a different ending than the first time I played it but couldn't really bring myself to be a dick to anyone, so ended up 'good' ending again where Ciri becomes a witcher and Geralt retires with Yen.

Thanks dwwaino for the recommendation to play on Death March from the outset, really enjoyed it.
They smear your arse with honey yet, hero?

Finished the base game on Death March. Couple of tricky fights that took me a few goes, but not too bad. Ekidna decoction is great!

Was thinking about going for platinum but there's a few trophies that look pretty tedious, so I don't think I'll bother.

Might work my way through Blood and Wine until I get the mutations, then go back and do HoS.

Is the Runewright worth doing? Sounds like I should at least get level 2. I don't remember it being a must do from my first play through, but maybe it is for DM?

Some trophies are hidden behind making certain story decisions so they may be unobtainable anyway.

As for runewright, there are some that are great for particular builds. I always level it up for the hell of it but I mostly don't touch it. Severance is good for whirlwind builds. Invigoration was good for alchemy builds but I'm not sure how it fairs now with the change to things like heightened tolerance.

I often use the deflect arrows enchantment just because it makes things easier. It's especially fun with that scene where you have to swim to the Emperor's boat.

Was thinking about going for platinum but there's a few trophies that look pretty tedious, so I don't think I'll bother.
Ha you're not wrong. 50 headshot kills with the crossbow was probably the worst one, simply should not be there with the hit detection as bad as it is. Knock 10 people off somewhere high with Aard was no picnic either.

Some trophies are hidden behind making certain story decisions so they may be unobtainable anyway.
Yep this too. Completing all Keira and Roche sidequests to ensure you get the full crew to Kaer Morhen and competing all Dijkstra quests (while not choosing certain dialogue options in one of them) culminating in the assassination of Radovid probably the most missable story wise.

Definitely a game where you need to decide on going for the platinum early on and have a guide open.

Yep this too. Completing all Keira and Roche sidequests to ensure you get the full crew to Kaer Morhen and competing all Dijkstra quests (while not choosing certain dialogue options in one of them) culminating in the assassination of Radovid probably the most missable story wise.

Definitely a game where you need to decide on going for the platinum early on and have a guide open.

With Keira it is not just about completing her side quests. You also need to select the right dialogue choices.

Back