Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 15, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
West Ham United
First 15 minutes if you're interested.

And here's the world map.
wither-3-world-map.jpg

Aug 23, 2007
Bay 131 @ (Port) Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies
Graphically it looks nice, really nice actually, but having not really followed this game or played the series before, the game play looks kind of dull for an open world game imo. Sure it probably doesn't help when I'm a bit burnt out on open world games at the moment (at least until MGS V). Sword combat looks weak compared to something like Mordor.

Seems to be a lot of empty space and more on the serious side of things when i want to be able to cause random chaos when the serious play gets a bit tedious ala Far Cry 4 and Dying Light. Being able to kill that horse by riding it into the water or off a cliff would have me pick it up cheap at some stage. Its an open world game, i want to be able to play it how i want, which is usually the most sadistic and wrong way, mostly out of boredom :p

Does it have co op and does anyone know if i can kill my co op partners horse for lols?

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Sword combat looks weak compared to something like Mordor.

If it's anything like 2 then it will be anything but. Witcher 2 combat was a little like Souls, attack, parry, roll, roll, roll, etc, and combat was hinged on the potions you drank. I think 3 will be a little more accessible than 2, but 2 was pretty brutal at times. The rest of what you said is fair enough, can't tell people what to like :)

The way I've sold Witcher to people who are about to give it a go for the first time is it is a very mature RPG. The dialogue can be absolutely filthy at times, there is full on nudity and pretty hardcore sex scenes (well at least there was in the previous games) and the combat (again, presuming Witcher 2 still) isn't just hack and slash a hundred dudes. Hopefully there is some really good flashback cutscene action to fill everyone in on Geralt's backstory because even how he became a Witcher in the first place is interesting enough in itself. Then the story of how we was framed for regicide in 2 involved many of the factions I think will be more involved in 3.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Some new info from Gamestar.de
Beard one sounds awesome.

Gameplay
  • There are 4 difficulties (easy, medium, hard and dark) which differ in the skill of the monsters you face. Hitpoints remain the same.
  • You can bargain for more money after finishing your monster contract through some sort of minigame.
  • The side quests are extremely well made with great writing and branching.
  • Potions are a necessity on higher difficulty levels. You only need to craft a potion once and you can refill it if you have enough alcohol present. Potions are upgradeable for stronger effects. Stronger potions will increase your toxicity more
  • Novigrad and No Man's Land are indeed one single map, much bigger than Skyrim. The isles of Skellige form the other big part of the game. Next to that, there are 5-6 other separated locations, including Kaer Morhen.
  • No enemy respawning or at the least not very frequently
  • Best items in the game must be crafted
  • They were very impressed with the story branching and how it is not always obvious. Correcting 'wrong' choices by saving/reloading will be very difficult if not impossible.
  • Contrary to BioWare games dialogue options are not good or bad, this you will have to figure out for yourselves.
  • They really liked the in-game card game Gwent, praising its design.
  • The game features two really big cities: Novigrad and Oxenfurt, both very lively.
  • The are of No Man's Land features 25 smaller towns, some of which are the size of Flotsam from The Witcher 2.
  • Geralt can rob people, although the system is too easy and feels a bit lacking.
  • Journalist (level 7) was one shotted by a wyvern (level 24). No level scaling.
  • Ciri sequences will be (in total) 5-10h and feel more like an action-adventure game than an RPG
  • Extra storage can be made by crafting saddle bags for your horse.
  • Many small details such as Roach stopping to eat apples from a basket
  • All equipped items are visible in-game on Geralt
  • Fist-fighting is back, this time no QTE
  • World never felt empty
  • Journalist didn't encounter any simple fetch quests

Technical
  • The HUD is fully customizable. Icons and quest markers on the map can also be deactivated. Audiovisual hints (e.g. people screaming for help) will be present if you wish to do so.
  • Journalist encountered no clone NPC's
  • Controller feels superior to keyboard+mouse.
  • The extremely annoying doors from The Witcher 2 are gone. Doors are now opened automatically, no button pressing. No loading times for entering buildings either.
  • Day 1 patch confirmed
  • Xbox One resolution will stay at 900p
  • Geralts beard will grow over time
  • Switching between controller and mouse (for menu's) is easy and fluid
  • Most impressive dynamic weather system in any game he has ever played
  • They encountered very few bugs, no crashes of freezes.
  • Ultra seems to have a big effect on the quality of vegetation and character models[
  • No slider for LOD
  • Visual gore more prominent than in The Witcher 2

Even more info here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156749131&postcount=10

AhPeFYp.jpg

Mighty P

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 25, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Roys FFC, Lakers
If it's anything like 2 then it will be anything but. Witcher 2 combat was a little like Souls, attack, parry, roll, roll, roll, etc, and combat was hinged on the potions you drank. I think 3 will be a little more accessible than 2, but 2 was pretty brutal at times. The rest of what you said is fair enough, can't tell people what to like :)

The way I've sold Witcher to people who are about to give it a go for the first time is it is a very mature RPG. The dialogue can be absolutely filthy at times, there is full on nudity and pretty hardcore sex scenes (well at least there was in the previous games) and the combat (again, presuming Witcher 2 still) isn't just hack and slash a hundred dudes. Hopefully there is some really good flashback cutscene action to fill everyone in on Geralt's backstory because even how he became a Witcher in the first place is interesting enough in itself. Then the story of how we was framed for regicide in 2 involved many of the factions I think will be more involved in 3.

I'm gonna sound like a perve but I loved collecting the nude cards in the 1st Witcher.

Also wanted to know, which Collectors/Special Editions are you guys going for, if any? This is one game I'm interested in getting a collectors edition as I love the series and CD Projekt. I've seen prices vary, but I have no idea who sells which version. I wouldn't mind one with an art-book and similar things, probably not enough $$ to grab the one with the figure. I don't know, is there a list of the different editions anywhere?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Graphically it looks nice, really nice actually, but having not really followed this game or played the series before, the game play looks kind of dull for an open world game imo. Sure it probably doesn't help when I'm a bit burnt out on open world games at the moment (at least until MGS V). Sword combat looks weak compared to something like Mordor.

Seems to be a lot of empty space and more on the serious side of things when i want to be able to cause random chaos when the serious play gets a bit tedious ala Far Cry 4 and Dying Light. Being able to kill that horse by riding it into the water or off a cliff would have me pick it up cheap at some stage. Its an open world game, i want to be able to play it how i want, which is usually the most sadistic and wrong way, mostly out of boredom

Does it have co op and does anyone know if i can kill my co op partners horse for lols?
Pretentious much?

I enjoyed The Witcher 1, getting about half way through it, but stopped probably due to uni or something.

Should I go back and play that, then 2 and work my way up to 3?

I'd say skip 1 and jump straight into 2. It's a much better game overall.

Honestly I really liked 1 though!

I think I might play through it again in French for a learning experience :p It's an easier way to justify the time spent on video games.

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
If you're looking to play them through in time I agree in that go straight to 2 as well. You learn most of the plot from 1 in it and imo it just plays a lot better. The ending leaves 3 wide open and I look forward to seeing how 3 picks up from what happened at the end of 2.

The Witcher enhanced edition purchased!

(I actually already owned it back in Australia but it was 7 francs on Steam...)

Now to try and get a controller mod for it so I can laze back on the couch.

Schauermann

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 27, 2011
Hamburg
AFL Club
Fremantle
I'd say skip 1 and jump straight into 2. It's a much better game overall.
If you're looking to play them through in time I agree in that go straight to 2 as well. You learn most of the plot from 1 in it and imo it just plays a lot better.
Really? 1 was huge, and 2 pretty disappointing. Story was not as good, little sidequests, combat more annoying, somehow looks like a quick response without going deep into details.

Sword combat looks weak compared to something like Mordor.
Well, they actually motion captured reenactment fighters for 1.

But having said that I am still pretty interested in no. 3.. Sounds good, main reason to be unsure is this open world thing: Sounds pretty nice on paper, but makes it difficult to have good story through the game as well...

Last edited:
Back