Multiplat The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Tales of a legendary card playing, camomile drinking adventurer

How do you feel about Gwent?

• Total voters
Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I think, much like Japan and the furore over the casting of ScarJo in The Ghost in the Shell, the ethnic homogeneity of these countries* means that issues of ethnic diversity/racial discrimination aren't part of their social consciousness as they generally don't interact with people of other ethnicities in daily life.

*IIRC Poland is something like 98% ethnically Polish and the rest is basically central and eastern European, and Japan is similarly ethnically Japanese

That’s pretty much how it’s summed up here from the Polish woman who worked for CDPR and did some of the motion capture for Triss.

How many fair/ashen haired, green-eyed Spaniards do you know?

Naturally, not many. But for reference, here's Salma Hayek in her new movie.

hummingbirdproject_2.jpg

Doubt anyone would care/notice if she was Polish enough.

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
That’s pretty much how it’s summed up here from the Polish woman who worked for CDPR and did some of the motion capture for Triss.

She makes a good point that I hadn't thought of re: black Ciri would possibly mean black Emhyr which could then re-enforce racist stereotypes about black fathers

She makes a good point that I hadn't thought of re: black Ciri would possibly mean black Emhyr which could then re-enforce racist stereotypes about black fathers

Ciri's ethnicity is a massive theme in the books and she masquerades as geralt and yens kid for a bit so good luck explaining that.
If she is black then her real dad needs to be black which means all the nilfguardians should logically be black and guess what the nilfguardians are known as in witcher lore "the black ones" good ******* luck refering to the now black race who wear black armor as "The black ones"

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Is this person offended by Cavill being cast? He certainly isn't Polish. Almost nobody in the cast will be. If his offense is merely centered on Ciri, rather than every other character, then his offense is misplaced. I can certainly understand why a Polish person would love to see Polish representation on television, particularly given the country's history, but this seems convenient to me: it is okay if the other white characters aren't Polish but casting a black character? God no!

As it is 'minority background' could imply anything. The actress could end up being Mediterranean for all we know and what sort of monster wouldn't want a Spanish Ciri?

Is Geralt particularly 'Polish' in the video games? I wouldn't say so.

Think his point was about being white rather than Polish. I can understand what he's saying, Geralt and Ciri's 'look' are pretty central to their characters.

I loved the amount of side quests. It added to the world and the experience of the game.

If you feel it getting on top of you, take a break for a couple of days and then go a week or so just playing for a shorter amount of time. I found that really helped me.

2006_Eagles

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts BeanCoiNFT Investor Spooderman Meme Medal
Sep 6, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Pelicans, Perf Wildcats
I loved the amount of side quests. It added to the world and the experience of the game.

If you feel it getting on top of you, take a break for a couple of days and then go a week or so just playing for a shorter amount of time. I found that really helped me.

Lol, even Geralt sighs at half of the side quests when you accept them. Sums up the player's mental state perfectly

A world that big needs those quests otherwise it becomes like Skyrim where you have such a big world but not a lot of side quests with most taking place in the cities or caves. It gives you a chance and a reason to explore the world.

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton

Or just don't do them, they're called 'side' quests for a reason. You'll be way over levelled for the main story if you do them all.

Valentino Dmitri

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2008
69 Bosoms Lane
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Rokeby GP Dancesquad
The generic monster nests, treasure hunts etc quests are pretty skippable.

The proper side quests though are top shelf. That level of quality and quantity just hadn’t been done in a big budget, fully voiced RPG before. I like Dragon Age 3, but check out the quality of supplementary content in that game. There’s no comparison between that and Witcher 3. DA3 came out a few months before W3.

What kind of monster doesn’t love the Ciri levels!

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
I've casually sunk about 15-20 hours into another play through in the last couple weeks after not touching it since Blood and Wine. It's amazing how just hearing the music can pull you back in and make you remember how you felt the first time you experienced it.

Something I'm always fascinated by is how a game plays when you haven't played it in a long time and if it's the same as you remember. In the case of Witcher 3 it's both yes and no. Yes, it's still awesome and I can safely say it's definitely cemented in my top 5 of all time. But some of the other things aren't as I remember. I remember really struggling early on Death March but it got progressively easier to the point by about level 15 or so it felt like any game on normal. So after wanting a casual play through just to experience it all again I found any difficulty lower than the hardest to be a bit lame. Only on Death March do you get to experience being a witcher (applying oils, using signs, a proper build etc) but that difficulty isn't hard if you just make sure to keep Quen applied, spam dodge and craft the highest level witcher weapons you can. The 'easiest hard game' there is imo. The world doesn't seem as big as I remember either, but that might be because of the fact that I already know my way around it.

Soundtrack is A-grade. Might be worth seeing if there is a vinyl press of it somewhere. This tune could easily be ripped right off any eastern European black metal album

Feb 28, 2009
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Atletico
Anything I've ever read about him indicates he's a campaigner

Feels ridiculous that there is even a possible legal avenue for him to sue CDPR after previously turning down a royalty for an upfront payment, especially given his previous statements on the gaming and thinking that they were bad for his books

Jun 25, 2011
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Exactly on both previous points. He’s trying to claim that the payment was only for the first game and is trying to sue for royalties for the next two. While he doesn’t have a leg to stand on I think a lot of people would probably do the same after making such a monumental misjudgement. I don’t think it’s in that article but I read in another one that he only asked for €9500 up front as he thought the games would flop and didn’t want a percentage.

Had played the first one (but never finished despite enjoying it...typical me) and then read up/watched the story of 2 to get an understanding of 3 which I just started last night :)

...and knowing me, I'll probably never finish it :(

Mar 1, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Back