Streaming The Witcher

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

When was the first point of different timelines?

I wasn't aware until Geralt rocked up at the castle.

From episode 1 there are hints but the castle when the dead queen is back is the in your face moment

I wouldn't be surprised if Triss gets recast, or at least gets a makeover.
Lol. Not a chance. Or at least not as a redhead. Accurately representing characters looks is a secondary consideration to being Woke these days. Those of us A Song of Ice and Fire fans were lucky GoT was started when it did and not now. It got in just in time and largely managed to have characters reflect the books (minus Purple eyes :huh: ).

Lol. Not a chance. Or at least not as a redhead. Accurately representing characters looks is a secondary consideration to being Woke these days. Those of us A Song of Ice and Fire fans were lucky GoT was started when it did and not now. It got in just in time and largely managed to have characters reflect the books (minus Purple eyes :huh: ).

You mean the character that had chestnut hair in the books and has brown hair in the show.

The red hair was a game invention

Enjoyed this series. Better than I thought it would be. Was a bit slow for me to get into but became compelling viewing towards the final few episodes to round out season. Henry Cavill killed it! Wouldn't have predicted he could be so compelling.

Agree with most others about Cavill, wowee. Was a a bit of a WTF moment for me when they announced him as Geralt but he ****ing killed it, along with the wardrobe and overall look. Loved ep 1, I've only played Wild Hunt and haven't read any books so actually seeing on screen the Butcher of Blaviken stuff was very cool. Some of the best sword fight choreography I reckon I've ever seen in that fight at the end including some absolutely brutal kills, just superb.

But I reckon it did go downhill a bit after that. Still a pleasant enough time waster and I'll definitely be back for season 2, just wasn't as coherent as it could have been or something, I can't quite put my finger on the exact issue. Possibly they didn't pull off the multiple timelines thing as well as intended, seemed messy somehow - and I've got no issues with the concept itself, big fan of Westworld lol. Even after I realised what was happening it didn't quite hang together properly, like when Geralt and Yennifer are on-screen together for the 2nd time and he's telling her how much he loves her I didn't realise till the scene was over years had probably passed in between their first meeting and their 2nd. Maybe more contextual clues needed? The fact these people don't age like normal people is convenient for the show runners but slightly problematic for the audience I suppose.

And I get this would be straight from the book, but had a bit of an issue with pretty much the whole setup hinging on The Law of Surprise. Just too silly for me - like oh, you want my child? I was more thinking this pen here, didn't realise I had that either so.... we're good yeah? Just seems a bit too open to interpretation to have endured as a tradition, even in a fantasy world.

Good last ep, thought the seige was well done and it was great seeing Yen cut loose. Can't wait till they show what Ciri can do too. But thought they needed something more to hang it on than just Geralt and Ciri finding each other - didn't have to be a cliffhanger or anything, just something a bit more substantial to take into season 2.

There are plenty of clues that there are different timelines.
You just need to pay attention.

When did you think the reveal occurred?

When Geralt goes with Jaskier to the castle and Calanthe rocks in after a battle. Had no inkling whatsoever before that.

They probably needed to do a bit more with make-up for Calanthe and hubby, them both looking exactly the same 15 odd years apart was a bit naff.

The Law of Surprise seems to me to be based on the Biblical story of Jephthah:

Judges 11:30-39 King James Version (KJV)

30 And Jephthah vowed a vow unto the Lord, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands,

31 Then it shall be, that whatsoever cometh forth of the doors of my house to meet me, when I return in peace from the children of Ammon, shall surely be the Lord's, and I will offer it up for a burnt offering.

32 So Jephthah passed over unto the children of Ammon to fight against them; and the Lord delivered them into his hands.

33 And he smote them from Aroer, even till thou come to Minnith, even twenty cities, and unto the plain of the vineyards, with a very great slaughter. Thus the children of Ammon were subdued before the children of Israel.

34 And Jephthah came to Mizpeh unto his house, and, behold, his daughter came out to meet him with timbrels and with dances: and she was his only child; beside her he had neither son nor daughter.

35 And it came to pass, when he saw her, that he rent his clothes, and said, Alas, my daughter! thou hast brought me very low, and thou art one of them that trouble me: for I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and I cannot go back.

36 And she said unto him, My father, if thou hast opened thy mouth unto the Lord, do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth; forasmuch as the Lord hath taken vengeance for thee of thine enemies, even of the children of Ammon.

37 And she said unto her father, Let this thing be done for me: let me alone two months, that I may go up and down upon the mountains, and bewail my virginity, I and my fellows.

38 And he said, Go. And he sent her away for two months: and she went with her companions, and bewailed her virginity upon the mountains.

39 And it came to pass at the end of two months, that she returned unto her father, who did with her according to his vow which he had vowed: and she knew no man. And it was a custom in Israel,

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Read somewhere that a new Witcher game is probably a couple of years off yet.

Way more than that considering they have said for years that they won't be making any more Witcher games and then only just backtracked on that recently. There has not been any confirmation on any sort of planning for a new game so any potential game is years away.

I bought wild hunt the other day. Few years old now but that doesn’t matter to me, am enjoying it. Read somewhere that a new Witcher game is probably a couple of years off yet.

Many many years off

I haven’t played the game but just finished the first season now, I won’t be watching the second one, this isn’t very good, hard to follow at times, timeline jumps absolutely all over the place, just feels like a really poor game of thrones ripoff. Hard to like any of the characters really as well or be interested in what they get up to. Meh/10

I haven’t played the game but just finished the first season now, I won’t be watching the second one, this isn’t very good, hard to follow at times, timeline jumps absolutely all over the place, just feels like a really poor game of thrones ripoff. Hard to like any of the characters really as well or be interested in what they get up to. Meh/10

The show is bad but the games are amazing. If you game don’t let the show put you off. Especially the 3rd.

Yeah, the books are good and the games are great (the 3rd is GOAT). They have said the 2nd season will have a lot less time jumps and will have more of a linear storyline.

TBH the time jumps were a small part of the problem. The tone is off. To get metaphysical, Geralt is lacking existential suffering. The story should be about an meaningless outcast finding family and meaning in turn, instead it’s a whimsical story of a monster slayer and friends with blood and guts.

TBH the time jumps were a small part of the problem. The tone is off. To get metaphysical, Geralt is lacking existential suffering. The story should be about an meaningless outcast finding family and meaning in turn, instead it’s a whimsical story of a monster slayer and friends with blood and guts.

...thats what a Witcher IS though.

...thats what a Witcher IS though.

If you only look at the surface level story. No story is good without depth to characters, motivation and pathos. The story isn’t about any Witcher, it’s Geralts journey but they are telling it very blandly.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back