Streaming The Witcher

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Played the game for 150 hours and enjoyed it more than this.

I generally think that games with narratives as well crafted as Wild Hunt struggle to translate because, what's the point? This Nathan Drake movie will fall into the same category, and probably why the Bioshock movie never got up.

This series was ok, and I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't played the game.

Having said this...Queen Calathes :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::fire::fire::fire:

Played the game for 150 hours and enjoyed it more than this.

I generally think that games with narratives as well crafted as Wild Hunt struggle to translate because, what's the point? This Nathan Drake movie will fall into the same category, and probably why the Bioshock movie never got up.

This series was ok, and I probably would have liked it more if I hadn't played the game.

Having said this...Queen Calathes :thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::fire::fire::fire:

The netflix series isn't translating the game.

The W3 game is separate to the book series which the author himself has been cagey on whether he even considers it canon or not in the past.

Enjoyed it but as someone who's has never read the books or played the game I did find the storylines and timelines confusing too often. I also thought how Geralt and the princess eventually found each other was quite underwhelming.

Like others, I thought Cavill was magnificent and I really enjoyed the episodes involving monster hunts, I hope there's more of them in the next season.

I also thought how Geralt and the princess eventually found each other was quite underwhelming.
This is thanks to the writers deciding to remove some aspects of the story line, and them somewhat botching the fight Yenn & Geralt had at the end of the golden dragon episode. That end scene is much more powerful in the books

Pretty sure this is one of the biggest problems those who have read the books had with the first season

Finished ep 1. I am glad the king and queen are dead. I thought he was an older son of hers. No chemistry between the two.

There are borrowings from the game of thrones which is clever
Which parts were borrowed?

Henry Cavill nailed Geralt. Absolutely nailed it.

He was good, starts off as a bonehead killer then slowly reveals his personality.
------------------------------
I really enjoyed this show, we haven't binged anything for a bit prior to The Mandolorian then did this one straight after that.
Hopefully the books are just the good.

Really enjoyed this show and got emersed in the world.

Henry Cavill is great and I’ve hated him in everything else I’ve seen him in except The Tudors.

Looking forward to the next season. 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm half way through and it's ok. Cavill is perfect in the role as a handsome blonde version of The Hound.

There's times when I don't know what's going on. Maybe because I haven't read the books or played the game. Or maybe there's too much (boring) exposition by dialog, or there's no proper introduction and development of characters.

Quite enjoyed it but honestly the timelines aspect was a bit of a mess and they would have been better off doing it in a linear fashion.

Thought the antagonists were under developed and a few episodes building up the backstory a bit more would have really improved it. As it was, not having read the books, I didn’t really buy into the stakes much.

Certainly never dull and Cavill was great. Some solid action in it too. Hopefully the future series are a bit better plotted.

The timelines made it feel like more of a prologue than an actual series. Get the reason for it, but now that (i think) everyone's on the same page, I think they'll get away from it for season two - with the odd flashbacks to Geralt's Witcher trials - and the series will be better for it.

Cavill's not going to be reading for Marriage Story 2 anytime soon, but ask him to play a brooding hunk that can slay monsters with deadpan delivery and he's great. Yen had the most complete arc of anyone, could see her being the true protagonist in the seasons to come.

Quite enjoyed it but honestly the timelines aspect was a bit of a mess and they would have been better off doing it in a linear fashion.

Thought the antagonists were under developed and a few episodes building up the backstory a bit more would have really improved it. As it was, not having read the books, I didn’t really buy into the stakes much.

Certainly never dull and Cavill was great. Some solid action in it too. Hopefully the future series are a bit better plotted.

If you did it linear then geralt the main character isn't even in the series until episode 4 or 5 and ciri until the last one

If you did it linear then geralt the main character isn't even in the series until episode 4 or 5 and ciri until the last one
Not necessarily. You can tell it from his point of view and tell, say, Yennefer’s backstory in a dedicated episode, flashbacks etc.

The way they did it made a bit of a meal of it and seemed pretty ad hoc at times.

i quite enjoyed how they did it re the timelines but can fully understand how most people wouldnt like it & would be seriously confused. playing the games + reading some of the books definitely helped in that respect.

loved Cavill as Geralt which i wasnt expecting but he nailed it. didnt take himself too seriously which was my worry.

Yen was also a great if left field choice.

my only gripe was that the season needed to be longer, it was basically all set up/backstory. too much focus on Ciri which never went anywhere. S2 should be good though now a lot of the setting up is done they can plow into some plot head on.

Henry Cavill is great and I’ve hated him in everything else I’ve seen him in except The Tudors.

his superman powers could've come in handy here!

liked him in the tudors (an excellent mini series)

Even The Man from U.N.C.L.E.?

Not necessarily. You can tell it from his point of view and tell, say, Yennefer’s backstory in a dedicated episode, flashbacks etc.

The way they did it made a bit of a meal of it and seemed pretty ad hoc at times.

So linear but with flashbacks and episodes set in a different time, which would make it not linear?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back