The Woe is me Supporters

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a lifetime of ‘not quite’ for we diehard pies fans that wearies the mind. We have been blessed with the odd premiership, but for a once great club (in premiership winning terms) to spend the last 60 odd years being not quite good enough does start to grind.
I grew up in the 70’s-80’s listening to the Saturday arvo games on the radio, crying in my room when we lost a close one, rejoicing when we succeeded in making the big dance time and again. Now I never miss a game, either live or on television. I have no ‘second’ team. I jealously loathe other ‘more successful’ clubs. Why can’t we have a Hawthorn or Geelong and possibly Richmond era of sustained success?
I feel that it’s ok to be a little bitter or upset when frustration gets the better of me and I totally understand why other people feel that way too.
The rose-coloured life would be nice but, for me after 50 years of being a collingwood tragic, it’s just not possible.

This X 10.

I've been a diehard fan and supporter for close to 50 years. Feel exactly the same. A glimpse here, a season there where we have some success, but no dynasty. Hell, but for the bounce of the ball in 2010, we might only had 1 flag in 60 years. That's Melbourneesque.

And to see the club continue to falter, year after bloody year, with poor decisions, whilst clubs like Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn have periods of sustained success. Geelong has been up for close to 14 seasons. We have a good season ala 2018, and 2 years later we are in disarray shedding players for salary cap reason, whilst Geelong add the best forward in the comp to their list.

Forgive me for occasionally using these forums for venting, but I think I've earned the right

This X 10.

I've been a diehard fan and supporter for close to 50 years. Feel exactly the same. A glimpse here, a season there where we have some success, but no dynasty. Hell, but for the bounce of the ball in 2010, we might only had 1 flag in 60 years. That's Melbourneesque.

And to see the club continue to falter, year after bloody year, with poor decisions, whilst clubs like Richmond, Geelong, Hawthorn have periods of sustained success. Geelong has been up for close to 14 seasons. We have a good season ala 2018, and 2 years later we are in disarray shedding players for salary cap reason, whilst Geelong add the best forward in the comp to their list.

Forgive me for occasionally using these forums for venting, but I think I've earned the right
Well said.

There’s no vendetta Jon, it’s highly frustrating to be finishing 6th and the clubs that are currently performing better are still able to make list changes to improve the list.

Since the 2018 Grand Final, apart from progression of players like Daicos, IQ etc the list has essentially stood still. It’s hard to cop why we’ve been overpaying for what we have.

Trades since 2018:
Rich - Lynch
Geel - Kruger, Dalhous, Rohan, Jenkins, Steven
WC - Hickey, Kelly
Coll- Beams, Roughead, Cameron

Our best 22 since 2018, now includes Daicos, IQ, Noble, Roughead, Moore, Stevo all upgrades and Madgen who is below Langdon, and Cameron an important addition as shown in the WC game.

Not sure we’ve stood still.

Last edited:

This X 10.

Know the feeling - been following them for 60+ years.

Ain't changing now but they make it hard at times.

Seen these clubs have their "eras", some longer than others:

Melbourne*
Carlton*
Essendon
Hawthorn
Richmond*
Geelong*
North Melb*
Brisbane*

* have beaten Cwood in a GF during my time as supporter (St. Kilda not counted because no "era" for them)

No era for Cwood :(

Since 2018 our best 22 has added, Daicos, IQ, Noble, Madden, Moore, Stevo
Rich added - Lynch
Geel - Miers

Trades since 2018:
Rich - Lynch
WC - Hickey, Kelly

Our best 22 since 2018, now includes Daicos, IQ, Noble, Roughead, Moore, Stevo all upgrades and Madgen who is below Langdon, and Cameron an important addition as shown in the WC game.

honestly, if you think we are going to win a GF with Magden and Cameron etc in the side, I don’t see it.

I was referring to Rich adding Lynch and a host of cheap rookies all punching above their weight.
Trades since 2018:
Rich - Lynch
WC - Hickey, Kelly

The glaring holes in the list haven’t been addressed for a number of years

- KPF
- Crumbing forward
- Clearance mid

I really like Magden and Cameron as depth players/cover for injury but don’t see them as best 22 for a team in the top 4.

Geelong are set to add another Coleman Medallist & Shaun Higgins who despite being on in years, is a silky player.

Tigers added a forward who without wouldn’t have won 2019, wouldn’t be in this GF.

I’d like to think Collingwood is capable of making similar moves.

honestly, if you think we are going to win a GF with Magden and Cameron etc in the side, I don’t see it.

I was referring to Rich adding Lynch and a host of cheap rookies all punching above their weight.

- KPF
- Crumbing forward
- Clearance mid

I really like Magden and Cameron as depth players/cover for injury but don’t see them as best 22 for a team in the top 4.

Geelong are set to add another Coleman Medallist & Shaun Higgins who despite being on in years, is a silky player.

Tigers added a forward who without wouldn’t have won 2019, wouldn’t be in this GF.

I'd like to think that too, but we cant, and we dont.

- KPF
- Crumbing forward
- Clearance mid

crumbing fwd - Stevo kicks a lot of crumbing goals.
Clearance mid - Beams, sadly didn’t work out. And Sier is more than capable if he steps up to fill this need.

So you are incorrect that we haven’t at least tried to address the deficiencies.

So apart from Rich adding a gun - our relative improvement over of our best 22 does not lag behind WC or Geel as you were suggesting.

And now you’re making premature judgements and bagging the club, about 2020 before you have any idea what list improvements we’ll make.
This is the type of whining the OP was getting at.

crumbing fwd - Stevo kicks a lot of crumbing goals.
Clearance mid - Beams, sadly didn’t work out. And Sier is more than capable if he steps up to fill this need.

So you are incorrect that we haven’t at least tried to address the deficiencies.

So apart from Rich adding a gun - our relative improvement over of our best 22 does not lag behind WC or Geel as you were suggesting.

And now you’re making premature judgements and bagging the club, about 2020 before you have any idea what list improvements we’ll make.
This is the type of whining the OP was getting at.

I can’t for the life of me count how many posts go sailing over your head.

My post was pretty mild, you want to get all hysterical and try and virtue signal by jumping on the OP’s post.

Just relax take a breath, I’m saying we need to be bold at the trade/FA table to bring in players that will genuinely change the team.
- Stevo isn’t a crumbling forward although he can do it
- Beams was a disaster that cost cap space and picks, why that’s even mentioned is beyond me
- Sier can’t be trusted, he might be the player we all hope but has used up all his brownie points. If we head into another season waiting for him then that’s poor planning, we need to plan around him and if he comes on then that’s a bonus prize.

Just because we’ve tried to address the deficiencies, doesn’t mean we have. Unless you want a participation award.

I can’t for the life of me count how many posts go sailing over your head.

My post was pretty mild, you want to get all hysterical and try and virtue signal by jumping on the OP’s post.

Just relax take a breath, I’m saying we need to be bold at the trade/FA table to bring in players that will genuinely change the team.
- Stevo isn’t a crumbling forward although he can do it
- Beams was a disaster that cost cap space and picks, why that’s even mentioned is beyond me
- Sier can’t be trusted, he might be the player we all hope but has used up all his brownie points. If we head into another season waiting for him then that’s poor planning, we need to plan around him and if he comes on then that’s a bonus prize.

Just because we’ve tried to address the deficiencies, doesn’t mean we have. Unless you want a participation award.

The above is now a “measured” response ( compared to earlier) accepting we actually have attempted to fix deficiencies but the results were not perfect.
But what of your premature judgements on 2020, suggesting we’re falling behind others clubs when you have no idea what we finally do.

Why is this negative prejudgment of the club valid or rational?

The above is now a “measured” response ( compared to earlier) accepting we actually have attempted to fix deficiencies but the results were not perfect.
But what of your premature judgements on 2020, suggesting we’re falling behind others clubs when you have no idea what we finally do.

Why is this negative prejudgment of the club valid or rational?

Honestly mate, I’m sure you are a decent person and probably the sort of person I’d enjoy having a beer with and talking footy, but going to have to ignore you.

It’s just going in circles. ✌🏻

Eddie used to be a nameless keyboard warrior himself. Oh humble Beginnings.

Doubt he'd ever admit to ever having been "nameless"

- KPF
- Crumbing forward
- Clearance mid

I'm not fussed about the named players we seem to miss out on but that aside I don't think our list building has been optimal. Especially our use of the rookie pathways which was severely impacted by having to move senior listed players with ongoing contracts there. But I also don't think there's enough acknowledgement of the work done by Guy to fix that. Broomy and Dunn aside (and there were logical arguments for and against that adding them) our rookie list is now actually quite good. Checker, Keane, Lynch, Madgen, Dunn, Broomy and Appleby all getting games this year, Tohill and Wilson still developing, and we've got some promising kids on the senior list.

I think this draft period could be really significant to our longer term future and I'd prefer we stay out of the trade market for anything other than pick upgrading and moving a player player or 2 to bolster our draft hand. That and give the development types the opportunities to stake their claims.

We have always had a preference for vanilla over excitement machines. Solid citizens like Mayne, Shaz, WHE etc.. as opposed to indigenous livewires with electric pace and the ability to turn a game on its head in ten minutes of footy. Why have we rarely pounced upon indigenous talent when clubs like Richmond, Geelong and the Eagles always seem to have a number of indigenous boys on their list?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We have always had a preference for vanilla over excitement machines. Solid citizens like Mayne, Shaz, WHE etc.. as opposed to indigenous livewires with electric pace and the ability to turn a game on its head in ten minutes of footy. Why have we rarely pounced upon indigenous talent when clubs like Richmond, Geelong and the Eagles always seem to have a number of indigenous boys on their list?
Because, as we have seen recently, Collingwood is not a destination club for our indigenous footballers.
They are often warned not to go to Collingwood. Makes it hard to recruit players when they don’t want to come.

THE greatest of ALL time!!!

The new Caleb Daniel.................... got a lethal kick.

Yeah fu** all these softcawks that strive for success, I'm with the we're da Pies and are like da best herpa derp crowd :thumbsu:

All the supporters accepting the leadership (or lack there of), loss of well loved assistant coaches, inability to make trades because of the cap etc etc, are complicit in the mediocrity.

If football is very easy according to PA, they're not guilty of accepting near enough, they're guilty of accepting nowhere near for the majority of the decade.
It';s the next decade that's important. half our clubs problems are worrying about the past at least PA recognised the problem and worked hard to rectify it in the last 3 years. Are you saying our club has been doing the same? Are you happy with the crap list management? are you happy with our game plan and ball movement? Are you worried about the good teams getter better while we stagnate? If you are, then why respond with such a nothing post

It';s the next decade that's important. half our clubs problems are worrying about the past at least PA recognised the problem and worked hard to rectify it in the last 3 years. Are you saying our club has been doing the same? Are you happy with the crap list management? are you happy with our game plan and ball movement? Are you worried about the good teams getter better while we stagnate? If you are, then why respond with such a nothing post

I'm not a fan of our coaching and I think our role players either lack pace or in WHEs case are not competitive at ground level. I don't think all parts of our club are as catastrophically bad as you seem to - and our recent ladder positions agree with me. I think we should be aiming to improve rather than looking to destroy and start again, which seems to be the vibe that you're running with.

I also think that you're going way too early on Port - maybe they're sorted for a good run, but a team having one good, yet unsuccessful year isn't anything to get excited about ( a lesson you should have learnt from 2018) - In Port's case it is particularly not something to get over-excited about as it was a year that was so unusual.

Supporters like you seem to expect us to always be as good Richmond are at the moment, or Hawthorn were, or Geelong, or Brisbane. They were great teams which don't come along very often in a club's history. It's a ridiculous expectation to think we've totally failed and completely stuffed up all matters within the club just becasue we aren't great. I just think you come from a position of entitlement, where he you think not always getting everythin that you want is a catastrophe. Hopefully we have a run like those great teams at some stage, but you and I or our club aren't entitled to it. It will require a fair bit of luck, hard work, as well as good management. It's an even comp with structures in place to keep it as even as possible.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of our coaching and I think our role players either lack pace or in WHEs case are not competitive at ground level. I don't think all parts of our club are as catastrophically bad as you seem to - and our recent ladder positions agree with me. I think we should be aiming to improve rather than looking to destroy and start again, which seems to be the vibe that you're running with.

I also think that you're going way too early on Port - maybe they're sorted for a good run, but a team having one good, yet unsuccessful year isn't anything to get excited about ( a lesson you should have learnt from 2018) - In Port's case it is particularly not something to get over-excited about as it was a year that was so unusual.

Supporters like you seem to expect us to always be as good Richmond are at the moment, or Hawthorn were, or Geelong, or Brisbane. They were great teams which don't come along very often. It's a ridiculous expectation to think we've totally failed and completely stuffed up all matters within the club just becasue we aren't the greatest. It's an even comp with structures in place to keep it as even as possible. I just think you come from a position of entitlement, where he you think not always getting everythin that you want is a catastrophe. Hopefully we have a run like those great teams at some stage, but you and I or our club aren't entitled to it. It will require a fair bit of luck, hard work, as well as good management.

Wow, forgive me father for I have sinned. Entitlement? It comes from being an 8yo kiod in 1970 thinking we were going to win the flag only to have some w***er from Carlton kill us in a half. You can add all the other grand final losses since then to that. Get off your high horse and worry about your acceptance of mediocrity, because I want to win flags

Wow, forgive me father for I have sinned. Entitlement? It comes from being an 8yo kiod in 1970 thinking we were going to win the flag only to have some w***er from Carlton kill us in a half. You can add all the other grand final losses since then to that. Get off your high horse and worry about your acceptance of mediocrity, because I want to win flags

Yes, entitlement. Every supporter, player, administrator of every one of the 18 clubs in the land wants to win flags. Some entitled folk have hissy fits and start potting everything when they don't get what they want - I view that as entitlement. In terms of 1970, it may be time to get over the disappointments from 50 years ago - and I thought you said it was all about the future.

Yes, entitlement. Every supporter, player, administrator of every one of the 18 clubs in the land wants to win flags. Some entitled folk have hissy fits and start potting everything when they don't get what they want - I view that as entitlement. In terms of 1970, it may be time to get over the disappointments from 50 years ago - and I thought you said it was all about the future.
Whatever, you're right as usual

Remove this Banner Ad

Back