The World Cup thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Considering where we came from a few months ago did we overachieve?

Wouldn't say overachieved, this is probably where we should be.

Our bowling has always been world class when we've had our full line up in but our batting was always going to be our weakness.

I think we've had really good leadership from Finch and Langer. Half way through the Smith and Warner bans they realised our batting was limited and worked out a gameplan that proved effective.

Injuries didn't help, but the lack of batting depth killed us in the end.

From January 30, 2017 to March 5, 2019, Australia won just 4 of 28 ODIs. At that point a World Cup semi final would have seemed far-fetched. I think they did a wonderful job turning that around to get as far as they did. It's akin to a footy club winning 2 from 9 and then getting to the Preliminary Final.

Having said that, geez that was an awful performance last night.

From January 30, 2017 to March 5, 2019, Australia won just 4 of 28 ODIs. At that point a World Cup semi final would have seemed far-fetched. I think they did a wonderful job turning that around to get as far as they did. It's akin to a footy club winning 2 from 9 and then getting to the Preliminary Final.

Having said that, geez that was an awful performance last night.

Yes, we were bad but I think you'll find in alot if those games we very rarely had our "A" team on the park.

You are the Mastermind, how many of those games did we have our best bowling line up of Starc, Cummins and Heazelwood in those games?

There was plenty of resting blokes in meaningless series.

Yes, we were bad but I think you'll find in alot if those games we very rarely had our "A" team on the park.

You are the Mastermind, how many of those games did we have our best bowling line up of Starc, Cummins and Heazelwood in those games?

There was plenty of resting blokes in meaningless series.

Well Hazlewood hasn't played in any of our last 23 ODIs so he isn't considered in the best team anymore. He's currently in England literally playing for "The A team" and I would have thought him a better option that Behrendorff, Coulter-Nile or Richardson but I assume his fragile body is being spared for Tests and unlike the others, he's dead weight with the bat.

Cummins played in 18 of the 28 ODIs mentioned. Starc in 14. Hazlewood 11. All together they played 9 for 1 win. But every team farts around with their team leading into World Cups.

In the 28 matches, Australia played 36 players with none playing all of them - Stoinis played 25, Finch 24, Head 22 and Maxwell 20. Interestingly, aside from Cummins and Starc, the other bowlers used in this tournament hardly got a look in - Behrendorff 3, Lyon 5, Richardson 6, Coulter-Nile 8, Zampa 15.

Australia just had too many passengers in this tournament. Cummins and Starc took 41 wickets between them. The rest of the squad took 35. Finch & Warner make 11 scores above 50. The rest of the squad made 10. Maxwell and Stoinis were the allrounders. They contributed 264 runs @ 18.9 with no 50s and 7 wickets (all Stoinis) @ 77 with a strike rate of 76.

Yeh KiwiRoo bro, it's up to you.

Our former colonial masters need to be taken down a peg or two. If you beat them here l'll let you knock 'em off again in Tokyo again next year and double up. Now wouldn't that be sweet.

no love lost between us and the poms !!
Watching them do victory laps when they draw a game with the All Blacks was particularly galling, and reading the complete rubbish their media write about the All Blacks , trying to portray us as some sort of cheating thugs from the South Pacific to justify why we've been smashing them since 1906
and that's not mentioning the patting of the head condescending attitude towards our cricket team !
oh no !...I'm not bitter towards them at all !:cool:

no love lost between us and the poms !!
Watching them do victory laps when they draw a game with the All Blacks was particularly galling, and reading the complete rubbish their media write about the All Blacks , trying to portray us as some sort of cheating thugs from the South Pacific to justify why we've been smashing them since 1906
and that's not mentioning the patting of the head condescending attitude towards our cricket team !
oh no !...I'm not bitter towards them at all !:cool:

As the descendant of convict stock glad l live here and not that s**thole.
Beaches, sun, cold beer, tropical islands 4 - 5 hours away. They got the French for company and think it's hot when it's 14dg C.

Please belt them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As the descendant of convict stock glad l live here and not that s**thole.
Beaches, sun, cold beer, tropical islands 4 - 5 hours away. They got the French for company and think it's hot when it's 14dg C.

Please belt them.

It cant happen Hojuman !... if the poms win there'll be so many knighthoods handed out that poor old Queenie will get RSI in her sword arm

Maxwell has been an abject failure this cup.

Only faced 118 balls for the tournament and was dismissed 8 times. Averaging 14.75 balls per innings. Yes, he did score 179 runs to average 22.38 and he often came in at end of innings, but more was needed than 22 off 15 per innings. He was just too easy to get out. Consider the times he came in before the 30th over and/or before 200 was on the board.

v West Indies - came in at 5 after 7.0 overs. Made 0 off 2 balls.
v Pakistan - came in at 4 after 28.4 overs. Made 20 off 10 balls.
v New Zealand - came in at 6 after 20.0 overs. Made 1 off 5 balls.
v South Africa - came in at 6 after 18.3 overs. Made 12 off 20 balls.
v England - came in at 7 after 28.0 overs. Made 22 of 23 balls.

So these would be the times he came in with time to build an innings and with the side possibly in trouble. 55 runs off 60 balls suggests he's trying to pull his reins in, but he just kept getting out. Every time he batted he looked likely to be out soon and in these instances he just had to survive to get to happy hour and then let loose. Instead, one wicket always became two, the innings stalled and the bloke after him was under the pump.

As for his bowling...eeww. He bowled in every match bar the first and last. He took no wickets in 294 balls for 295 runs. In fact, since the start of 2016, he's played 55 ODIs, bowled 1050 balls, for 3 maidens, 1018 runs and 8 wickets. That's an average of 127.25, a strike rate of 131.25 and an economy rate of 96.95. So over the course of over three years he's neither economical or threatening. The only mystery here is why he's ever asked to bowl at all.

Stoinis is the one that stumps me. Has barely scored a run for 6 months, his bowling is dime-a-dozen medium pacers, and he is roundly regarded as the worst bloke in the Australian cricket scene. What took the cake for me last night was when Smith reached his half-century - an innings built against a backdrop of 3/14, where he struggled at a strike rate of <10% for the first portion of the innings against very strong bowling, where he was constantly booed by the crowd, yet toughed it out - and he walked down the wicket to get some encouragement from his team-mate, Stoinis couldn't even be bothered walking down the wicket to shake his team-mate's hand and show some camaraderie and team spirit. In the past 20 years there hasn't been a more "look at me" bloke to play for Australia, including some of the huge egos of our late 90s and early 2000s teams, and he just has absolutely zero runs on the board to justify his attitude. The sooner the Australian set-up sees the back of this epic flog the better.

Stoinis is the one that stumps me. Has barely scored a run for 6 months, his bowling is dime-a-dozen medium pacers, and he is roundly regarded as the worst bloke in the Australian cricket scene. What took the cake for me last night was when Smith reached his half-century - an innings built against a backdrop of 3/14, where he struggled at a strike rate of <10% for the first portion of the innings against very strong bowling, where he was constantly booed by the crowd, yet toughed it out - and he walked down the wicket to get some encouragement from his team-mate, Stoinis couldn't even be bothered walking down the wicket to shake his team-mate's hand and show some camaraderie and team spirit. In the past 20 years there hasn't been a more "look at me" bloke to play for Australia, including some of the huge egos of our late 90s and early 2000s teams, and he just has absolutely zero runs on the board to justify his attitude. The sooner the Australian set-up sees the back of this epic flog the better.

If the Australian Cricket Team was only made up of guys who weren't s**t blokes, then we'd have been spending the last month playing ODIs against the Netherlands and Zimbabwe.

If the Australian Cricket Team was only made up of guys who weren't s**t blokes, then we'd have been spending the last month playing ODIs against the Netherlands and Zimbabwe.
Sorry, that's a load of crap. No relationship between the quality of a player and the quality of the person. None.

Stoinis has never struck me as a s**t bloke, maybe overconfident, but not a s**t bloke.

True s**t blokes in Aussie cricket - Dave Warner and Michael Clarke.

I have it on very good authority that neither the WA state guys, Vic state guys nor Stars players can stand him, Zampa excluded. Only interested in himself and telling everyone how great he is, got zero interest in team performance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back