Minecraft The World - Original BF MC Server

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Chief . Can we please have a restart of the old server? It's lagging a whole bunch, and Hate also reckons maybe just the old turn it off and on again trick might help.
You could also try blowing on the cartridge as well, Chief!

There is patch notes for the pre-release 1.14.3 which should be coming out soon that address the mob cap issue and indicated 'performance improvements' so hopefully that will help a bit.

Chief the server has been super laggy today. Wondering if restarting it could help pls
It's getting to the point where Minecraft has overtaken price drops for resources. They're hogging more system resources faster than the price is dropping.

It's actually getting pretty expensive to run these servers so we are looking at ways to get around this. The servers will be a bit hit and miss this week at least until we work it out.

It's getting to the point where Minecraft has overtaken price drops for resources. They're hogging more system resources faster than the price is dropping.

It's actually getting pretty expensive to run these servers so we are looking at ways to get around this. The servers will be a bit hit and miss this week at least until we work it out.

When we can get to it we're going to switch to spot instances - we can get more bang (ie more memory and CPU) for less buck. Ahead of that though are some system upgrades this week for BigFooty before the weekend.

No worries. The fact we even have a server to play on is greatly appreciated, and you probably are not thanked enough - so thank you. If the cost gets too out of hand, I can probably chip on something every now and again, when I can.

Minecraft 1.14.3 has been released tonight which appears to have a lot of fixes that hopefully improves the load and performance.

No worries. The fact we even have a server to play on is greatly appreciated, and you probably are not thanked enough - so thank you. If the cost gets too out of hand, I can probably chip on something every now and again, when I can.

Minecraft 1.14.3 has been released tonight which appears to have a lot of fixes that hopefully improves the load and performance.

As a sweetener we have installed 1.14.3 just now. Hopefully that gives you a better experience until we can upgrade the server further (probably over the weekend or by next week).

Regards, TF

Also happy to contribute to the cost of the servers if it's helpful. It shouldn't be this difficult for Minecraft to run. a 50,000 block breadth of exploration is pretty small-fry for a multiplayer server. I'll do anything required to keep it running. It's the only world I give a tinkers cuss about existing in.

Oh and I am still VERY keen on learning how to download a copy of the map. The render distance is too restrictive to get any good video or screenshots anymore. I can't get an entire football ground into view, the far side unrenders. It seems to be about 6 chunks max (probably in order to save on memory hit). On single-player running off my PC I should be able to get 32 chunks and can still create media from the world using a download snapshot.
Google drive? Dropbox? Torrent?

The Sweet FA's marquee arena ... and I can't get an image from one side of the ground that will actually show the far side. It never used to be like this.
vqFwkVh.png

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chief (and maybe TechFerret I dunno if ingame stuff is relevant to you) :
We have a bug in Minecraft at the moment : when logging in there is a chance that there a bunch of lightning strikes all at once upon start. There is no rain, its as if the game stored the likely thunderstorm events that might have happened had the game not been unpopulated for some time, and unleashed them. This has caused massive problems with fires started that have razed some buildings and other features. It should be a rare feature and the fires should die quickly because they should only happen when there is also rain, which extinguishes fires after a short time. I've had to rebuild entire parts of town.

So for the meantime, awaiting hopefully bug fixes from Mojang, I've used the operator commands to set /gamerule soFireTick False. This means when fire is started, it cant spread or destroy blocks (or go out, either!) So it just renders it purely cosmetic. It can look strange but it prevents damage to builds.

Hopefully this bug will be sorted at some point in future and firetick can be switched back on.

Chief (and maybe TechFerret I dunno if ingame stuff is relevant to you) :
We have a bug in Minecraft at the moment : when logging in there is a chance that there a bunch of lightning strikes all at once upon start. There is no rain, its as if the game stored the likely thunderstorm events that might have happened had the game not been unpopulated for some time, and unleashed them. This has caused massive problems with fires started that have razed some buildings and other features. It should be a rare feature and the fires should die quickly because they should only happen when there is also rain, which extinguishes fires after a short time. I've had to rebuild entire parts of town.

So for the meantime, awaiting hopefully bug fixes from Mojang, I've used the operator commands to set /gamerule soFireTick False. This means when fire is started, it cant spread or destroy blocks (or go out, either!) So it just renders it purely cosmetic. It can look strange but it prevents damage to builds.

Hopefully this bug will be sorted at some point in future and firetick can be switched back on.

I've upgraded the server to the latest (1.14.4) which should be past that bug.

Regards, TF

We have a new version now : 1.15 something something.

Also struggling with a new bug. Anything I build is okay, but my character's data isn't saving. Any inventory changes get reset when I log off/on, and any tool repairs and XP gains are also reset. Seems it's just the player data affected, the world itself is updating normally.

Maybe an upgrade to 1.15 will see us past that issue, too?

Current skyline of Sweet CBD, 10 new office blocks added over the last week or so since we got home :)

CIvjola.png

Also struggling with a new bug. Anything I build is okay, but my character's data isn't saving. Any inventory changes get reset when I log off/on, and any tool repairs and XP gains are also reset. Seems it's just the player data affected, the world itself is updating normally.

Current skyline of Sweet CBD, 10 new office blocks added over the last week or so since we got home :)

Nice. Will upgrade to 1.15.x in next day or so. Also, sometime between now and end of January the instance will be migrated onto a dedicated server with faster CPU and more memory.

CIvjola.png
Good stuff. Even better to hear that you’re back home!

Nice. Will upgrade to 1.15.x in next day or so. Also, sometime between now and end of January the instance will be migrated onto a dedicated server with faster CPU and more memory.
Count me (back) in! This is exciting to see!

I have no idea of how these sorts of things work and I fear that this might be a ridiculous question, but is there a way to merge both servers together, or at least migrate parts of one onto the other?
It'd be awesome but I think the feedback would be that they are already big enough drains on the system separately :D

For Hate : Here is a map of Sweet CBD. The stars show the buildings added, and the triangles point out the three blocks remaining before the main "downtown" block is fully buildinged out :)

EqdxrIc.png

I honestly don't know, myself. Not that savvy!
MCEdit has fallen by the wayside and since the aquatic release I don't believe it works on 1.14/1.15. There is a new project called Amulet Editor that shows promise. We basically just need to let it catch up with the current MC version, or stop upgrading MC (which isn't a good option). The moment I hear that the Amulet Editor (or something else that comes out of the woodwork) can handle 1.15 format I'll let Chief know and he may consider performing a merge.

I agree it would be a good thing from a systems view to just supporting a single responsive MC instance. :)

Cheers, TF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back