The worst football in a generation

Remove this Banner Ad

Got nothing to do with the AFL it's the coaches. They are the biggest blight on the game.

All they care about in Winning, so they use the safest way to do that, by focusing on defense.

How exactly is the AFL responsible for 30+ players around the ball at all times?
No, it's the AFL.

They wanted to clear the congestion, so less interchanges. Congestion got worse.

They wanted to speed the game up with no 3rd man up and nominated rucks, instead this slowed it down.

They wanted to increase scoring by making kick ins easier, instead more care to avoid turnovers helped decrease scoring.

You can't blame the coaches forever.

I remember similar things being said around the mid 2000's.
Enter Geelong 2007 who then made an art of coast to coast goals.
My favorite was one was in 2011 where the ball was about to got out in the Melbourne forward pocket, Jimmy Bartel kept it in when deft little hand pass on the boundary line before you knew it Stevie J was kicking a banana kick through the goals from directly in front.
To be fair, they just borrowed WC and WBD gameplan, but with a better squad.

I’m not sure about a generation, but this low scoring s**t is ******* terrible. Almost every game has at least one quarter where the score is 1.7 to 1.4 or something similar, it’s brutally bad.

The only thing keeping me watching non-Bulldogs footy is if I have a bet on the game or I’m genuinely interested in the result. If you think I’ll watch three hours of mauling punctuated by 10 goals to each side then you’ve got another thing coming.

No, it's the AFL.

They wanted to clear the congestion, so less interchanges. Congestion got worse.

They wanted to speed the game up with no 3rd man up and nominated rucks, instead this slowed it down.

They wanted to increase scoring by making kick ins easier, instead more care to avoid turnovers helped decrease scoring.

You can't blame the coaches forever.

Rubbish.

Congestion isn't worse, its been s**t for years.

The less interchanges you have the less congestion because players can't run up and back as often.

How does making kick ins easier lead to more care to not turn it over?

The coaches are to blame and always will be because they are the ones that dictate how the game will be played because they train the players that way.

Why do you think players sit in meetings all friggen week?

Zoning has failed imo. I fail to see what it has added. It's made it harder to score. The only good thing about it is that it makes for a better last 2 minutes to a game. That's it. Scrap it in 2020

Rubbish.

Congestion isn't worse, its been **** for years.

The less interchanges you have the less congestion because players can't run up and back as often.

How does making kick ins easier lead to more care to not turn it over?

The coaches are to blame and always will be because they are the ones that dictate how the game will be played because they train the players that way.

Why do you think players sit in meetings all friggen week?
Not rubbish.

If the AFL changes the rules and the coaches adapt and the result is the opposite, that's on the AFL. No one else.

The aim of the coaches is to win, not guarantee the AFL's changes don't make thongs worse.

My favorite was one was in 2011 where the ball was about to got out in the Melbourne forward pocket, Jimmy Bartel kept it in when deft little hand pass on the boundary line before you knew it Stevie J was kicking a banana kick through the goals from directly in front.

Was only a matter of time until a Geelong supporter made this thread about how great Geelong are. We don't care what Jimmy Bartel did in 2011, mate. Sheesh.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weird day to come out with this, had 2 great games in the collingwood vs Carlton game and Melbourne vs Gold Coast. A game doesn’t need to be high scoring to be exciting.

This is very true, but at the same time a close game doesn't necessarily mean an exciting one either. I must have watched a different Melbourne vs Gold Coast game to you if you think that was a great game - other than the last few minutes it was an absolute s**t show imo.

This is very true, but at the same time a close game doesn't necessarily mean an exciting one either. I must have watched a different Melbourne vs Gold Coast game to you if you think that was a great game - other than the last few minutes it was an absolute **** show imo.
It was close all game, Gold Coast repelling constant Melbourne attacks. The pressure and tackling was pretty crazy, I admit if it didn’t finish like it did, it wouldn’t of been a standout game, but it was a pretty decent contest. I’ve been impressed with the way Gold Coast has gone about it this year. They clearly don’t have the cattle but they’ve shown more heart than a majority of teams this year

It was close all game, Gold Coast repelling constant Melbourne attacks. The pressure and tackling was pretty crazy, I admit if it didn’t finish like it did, it wouldn’t of been a standout game, but it was a pretty decent contest. I’ve been impressed with the way Gold Coast has gone about it this year. They clearly don’t have the cattle but they’ve shown more heart than a majority of teams this year

Yeah, I've only caught a few of their games this year but they do seem to have a bit of a harder edge about them. Big Stewie Dew seems to have gotten them playing for each other more than they have in the past.

My team won today so I am happy. Couldn’t give a crap about the look of the game.
I did care once upon a time when they played Aussie Rules football but this new hybrid sport called AFL has been crap for years now.

Yet the game was on the verge of extinction in the mid to late eighties-an era everyone raves about.. strange but true.

Everyone blames the extra teams for the drop off in player quality but I reckon it's the fitness. Supremely talented, natural footballers can't make it at the level because the fitness requirements are significantly more than what they once were. These guys have been replaced by blokes who can run all day and get to a heap of contests, but just aren't at the same skill level and never will be.

Back to the early 2000s the negative commentary about the game was that it resembled circle-work, the teams packing their sides with players from the draft who could run all day on better quality grounds, the game style was players getting out on their own on the flanks and running it forward without any contested football, then the same thing would happen back the other way. An old fart like David Parkin, who promoted these current rule adjustments is probably too senile now to remember how he railed about wanting to turn off watching the game when he saw kick-in's to players out on their own and at the (x number) of uncontested possessions in a row.

No matter how bad to watch AFL gets there will always be people defending it.
True, that is because it is still watchable. But for those of us watching it for more than just one or two decades we know it is less compelling to watch than when the interchange system was not a rotation system to maintain as much congestion as possible when you without the ball.

For those that grown up with territory invasion football and flooding the norm they will still watch what they used to even if it is less of a spectacle than it should be. They do not know any better so will defend as it is all they know.

Sounds like you had some deft little hand going on writing that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back