The WORST performance you've ever seen from your team.

Yep - along with the drug story coming out a few days prior to the game.

Also losing to the Lions by 10 goals at the MCG in 2014 I think it was. From memory we ended up with 1 on the bench and had Tony Armstrong play basically a full game after coming on as the sub despite having already played a full VFL game that afternoon.
There was a game in 2007 at the G that we got belted by the Lions too that was simply abysmal. From memory Nick Maxwell was our only avenue to goal and Jared ******* Brennan kicked seven.

Edit: Brennan kicked 7.5, Adcock had 27 and 4 and Rhan Hooper kicked three. ******* rofl

Bloody Hell

Debutant
Apr 4, 2008
Abu Dhabi, UAE
AFL Club
Sydney
Round 5 2002

St Kilda vs Sydney

56 all draw under the roof at Docklands. Didn't hesitate when I saw the question, it still burns my eyes thinking about it.

Some Saints fans may have the same answer.

Saints2.2 2.2 5.5 8.8
Sydney 0.2 1.4 2.6 8.8

Round 5 2002

St Kilda vs Sydney

56 all draw under the roof at Docklands. Didn't hesitate when I saw the question, it still burns my eyes thinking about it.

Saints2.2 2.2 5.5 8.8
Sydney 0.2 1.4 2.6 8.8

Yes that would be up there in most peoples top 5 worst games of the modern era I would have thought.

Hawthorn's 86 point loss to the Gold Coast Suns in 2017. Made even worse that we then lost the replay match to them a few weeks later at the MCG

Up there with that hilarious game where West Coast defeated Hawthorn something like 5.21 to 5.16 (might have been circa 2012)

An absolute slobber knocker of a Saturday night. Brisbane and Gold Coast on one channel, and West Coast and Hawthorn pulled off that horrendous display on the other. Half time score was West Coast 0.12 to Hawthorn 2.7. Who'd have thought we'd go on to achieve what we did in the subsequent 3.5 seasons after watching that effort?

It's interesting how many times we were thrashed during Denis Pagan's very successful coaching tenure (for example 3 60+ thrashings in our premiership year, 1996), but one thrashing will stick with me forever, the 2000 Qualifying Final against Essendon. To be fair that Essendon side is perhaps one of the greatest teams in history, but to lose by 125pts in a Qualifying Final!! We were defending Premiers, finished the season as one of the best four teams in comp, and with the likes of Carey, McKernan, Stevens, Archer Harvey and Bell all in the lineup, and we produce a feeble performance like that. One of the most disappointing days I've ever experienced watching NMFC play.

More recently, the first round this season against Fremantle was a pretty low point. Our heaviest ever defeat against them.

There's a few to pick from so it's hard to choose just one:
  • Round 16 2012 (vs Collingwood, 50 points down at QT)
  • Round 11 2014 (vs Sydney, 110 point loss)
  • Round 1 2015 (vs Hawthorn, 69 point loss on Easter Monday)
  • 2016 PF (vs Sydney, margin is flattering as we played much worse)
The 2016 PF probably hurts the most because we definitely could've (and I reckon would have) won the GF against the Dogs. We'd beaten them twice that year already and the only worry would have been being on the wrong side of 'story' and the media coverage that week

I've only been old enough to watch and understand footy since 2007, so I'll have to leave out terrible Cats games before '07 (I understand there were many)

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Round 5 2002

St Kilda vs Sydney

Saints2.2 2.2 5.5 8.8
Sydney 0.2 1.4 2.6 8.8
A match that was ahead of its time.

MadMundy

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Arsenal, Glory, Bulls
although it was our heaviest loss ever, our game against Geelong last year is far from the worst game we've played. A few games in 2017 against Richmond and Sydney were worse and honestly 2014 vs St Kilda when we had won 9 games in a row and they smashed us by like 60+ points.

Private Hudson

Club Legend
Mar 31, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
There has been a few over the years but one in particular was probably against Port Adelaide in 2008. A win would've given us a double chance. Last game of the season. And we got absolutely smoked. We were horrible. Felt like it was a training drill.

Yep. How we played so badly that day with a double chance up for grabs is beyond me. Port absolutely smashed us.

Aug 27, 2014
spacetime
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
there are no other teams worthy
So many to choose from in last two decades. First half v Fremantle, last year comes readily to mind but then our biggest loss ever numerically was v Hawks towards end of 2015. Probably last round last year as it was so so bad, I did not even watch the second half I was so pissed off with the stupid game plan for the day that virtually allowed other side to pass the ball slowly but methodically from one end to another without pressure from a direct opponent. I do not remember being so pissed off like that because I could predict goals from one end to the other about six times in a row, I then I asked myself, why am I still watching if I can see this is stupid set up and coaches not ?....The only time I not watched the second half of a game for my club.

May 5, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Interestingly Geelong beating us by 135 at Subiaco in 2008 doesn't even register. Obviously we weren't great but we were 2-9 at the time and up against a team that ended up finishing 21-1 162%. Was like watching a finely tuned machine at its peak going through a training drill. Our best for the whole year might have got within 10 goals but it was a pleasure to watch Ablett, Chapman, Steve Johnson all in full flight. This year's loss by 70 or whatever it was was much worse given the gulf between the two teams isn't as huge.

ioppolo

This only ends one way.
Oct 3, 2010
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Chelsea, OKC Thunder, Scorchers
Interestingly Geelong beating us by 135 at Subiaco in 2008 doesn't even register. Obviously we weren't great but we were 2-9 at the time and up against a team that ended up finishing 21-1 162%. Was like watching a finely tuned machine at its peak going through a training drill. Our best for the whole year might have got within 10 goals but it was a pleasure to watch Ablett, Chapman, Steve Johnson all in full flight. This year's loss by 70 or whatever it was was much worse given the gulf between the two teams isn't as huge.
How about our 12 goal loss to Richmond at home that year? A game where we conceded 11 goals in the second quarter

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Up there with that hilarious game where West Coast defeated Hawthorn something like 5.21 to 5.16 (might have been circa 2012)
That's actually one of my favourite games as it was so bizarre. Who would've thought Franklin and Kennedy were playing that night? Neither team could kick goals.

May 8, 2007
vic
AFL Club
Richmond
Round 5 2002

St Kilda vs Sydney

Saints2.2 2.2 5.5 8.8
Sydney 0.2 1.4 2.6 8.8

As a neutral - comfortably the worst game I've seen. All topped off by someone hitting the post from about 5 yards out in the last minute or so.

But I've also seen Richmond!! I notice tiger fans feature quite regularly in this thread.
Too many possible games from the brief dark days (1983-now, basically) to list - but the one that made me most depressed was a fairly inconsequential game v Essendon in 2011. I accept that sometimes we got thrashed because we were crap, or the opposition were better coached etc. This was different - we were 4 goals up halfway through the 3rd quarter - and went on to lose by 6 goals. It's the only time where I sincerely thought the team just collectively gave up.

Yep. How we played so badly that day with a double chance up for grabs is beyond me. Port absolutely smashed us.
Our match on the Friday night was a dead rubber in terms of top four chances until you capitulated the following day. By then we’d been smoked by a shocking Fremantle outfit, and from memory the Saints came out of nowhere on the Sunday to take the top four spot with an 100 odd point win over Essendon.

Shocking week for footy.

Hobbes

Club Legend
Jul 20, 2006
Oxfordshire, UK
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Glenelg
I have taken my wife to exactly one AFL game. I was living in Sydney, and by happenstance Adelaide got a Sydney game in 1999. I had pretty good memories from watching Adelaide beat Sydney in a knockout final at the SCG the previous year. And, Adelaide had touched up Sydney earlier in the year to the tune of 81 points.

Anyway, this was Tony Lockett's last game in Sydney, or at least it was until he decided to make a comeback, and the crowd were rabid. Lockett kicked eight, and Adelaide lost by 20 goals.

She hasn't been back since.

Back