The worst premiership coach since 2000

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by captain blood 17, Oct 4, 2017.

Put it out there
?

Worst Premiership coach from 2000-2017

This poll will close on Nov 1, 2017 at 8:14 AM.
  1. 2000 Kevin Sheedy

12 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. 2001, 2002, 2003 Leigh Matthews

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  3. 2004 Mark Williams

30 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. 2005 Paul Roos

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. 2006 John Worsfold

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. 2007 , 2009 Mark Bomber Thompson

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015 Alastair Clarkson

17 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. 2010 Mick Malthouse

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. 2011 Chris Scott

227 vote(s)
    46.0%
  10. 2012 John Longmire

16 vote(s)
    3.2%
  11. 2016 Luke Beveridge

29 vote(s)
    5.9%
  12. 2017 Damien Hardwick

91 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. BTs Nana

BTs Nana Suspended

Adelaide
    Other teams:

Did Adelaide and Geelong double up against 3 bottom 5 sides?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. muzhogg

muzhogg Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Nope.

They also didn't thrash the pants of all of the other top 4 sides in finals matches.

Seriously, you're like a guy arguing that fighting Muhammad Ali is easier if you ride to the ring in a limo instead of going by taxi.

Give it a rest and just accept that regardless of how easy Richmond's draw was, when it came to the games that matter against the opponents that matter, Richmond showed up and got the job done.

Maybenextyear likes this.
  3. BTs Nana

BTs Nana Suspended

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    We aren't discussing finals.

People are allowed to discuss a topic, not related to the GF, without it coming back to that.

We are discussing the regular season if you can't handle that **** off.

Other people than just Richmond fans are allowed to have an opinion.

Our one achievement, small though it may be, is finishing minor premiers. I'm not going to be celebrating that into the night but if someone is going to tell me that their team should've finished top, I'm going to point out their soft draw as it's ridiculous.

Richmond won the grand final - that isn't in dispute or the subject of this particular conversation. Absolutely moronic.

4. Royce Hafey

Royce Hafey Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    So winning a GF with the worst list makes him the worst coach? Wouldn't that make him the best coach...sort of? You can't have your cake and eat it too - especially when the cake is drenched in salt.

5. muzhogg

muzhogg Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    The point is that the entire "easy draw" argument is a furphy.

Richmond showed that they were capable this year of beating the best teams on what is supposedly their best day.

So what if Richmond drew twice against lower placed teams? Their performance during the finals suggests that they wouldn't have done any worse in the H&A season even if they'd had a harder draw.

How anybody could suggest that if Richmond played those same sides twice in the H&A season then the result would never be in doubt is beyond me.

nineteen eighty likes this.
  6. muzhogg

muzhogg Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Although a lot of Richmond supporters piled on Grant Thomas for saying Richmond has a poor list, his point was precisely the same as the one you're making.

I don't actually think Richmond's list is all that bad, but the lower you rate the list, the higher you have to rate the other factors including the coach.

nineteen eighty likes this.
  7. nineteen eighty

nineteen eighty Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    TIGERS
    Hardwick had to build the list from what was acknowledged back then as being the worst ever. Name me one of those coaches above who has had to build his list from scratch. Bolton is trying to do what Hardwick has done but Hardwick didn't have access to the kids due to compromised drafts. We have had a lot of bumps along the way. What the club achieved this year is amazing and small petty minded, small dicked individuals want to talk it down as it wasn't a tremendous achievement. Need to find fault in things. Same thing happened with the Bullies last year.

Chris Scott had his premiership handed to him on a sliver platter. Anyone else on that list built a list from scratch? Beveridge was fantastic last year. Clarkson is the best coach in the comp. Can't be bothered going through the others.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Maybenextyear and gangsta deluxe like this.
  8. BTs Nana

BTs Nana Suspended

Adelaide
    Other teams:

So it's okay to play hypotheticals when it supports Richmond but when other people hypothesize about the GF result had it been at a neutral venue they are shut down.

Tiger logic.

Fine, Richmond didn't finish minor premiers- deal with it. I'm dealing with them as major premiers just fine.

Not to mention the fact that the soft draw is not crap. It's simple math.

Snake_Baker likes this.
  9. muzhogg

muzhogg Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Yes, you seem to be coping with Richmond being premiers really well. My congratulations to you. :thumbsu:

But moving on from your emotional issues...

I'm not denying that Adelaide were hands down the best team of the H&A season. They are also a club I admire and respect for what they've done over the last couple of years.

So, no, I'm not really struggling with finishing two points behind them in the H&A season.

But I have to say, after Richmond wining the premiership I frankly don't care how well any other team did, or didn't, do. I'd swap a minor premiership for a major premiership any day of the week.

I'm really, really, really not struggling to deal with the season. Not in the least.

As for playing hypotheticals -- not really. If anything I'm suggesting that people shouldn't. In particular, that they shouldn't be going on about what Richmond might, or might not, have achieved if the draw was different. Remember, I'm the one saying the "soft draw" issue isn't relevant.

10. Relton Roberts

Relton Roberts Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Soft draws?

You played all of the top 7 on your ground and only doubling up travelling away to Geelong and Essendon.

Which means all your away games were to Brisbane, Gold Coast, North Melbourne, Carlton, Collingwood, Hawthorn etc.

Id rather play the top 4/top 8 sides at home and pick up some away wins on the road against lesser opposition.

There was nothing hard about your draw.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2017
    Maybenextyear and Crankyhawk like this.
  11. TheUndertaker

TheUndertaker The Phenom from Death Valley

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Brothers of Destruction
    Hehehe

I'd vote don pyke but he's too shit to be in the poll

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. BTs Nana

BTs Nana Suspended

Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Cool deflection

Cool lack of maths skills.

People like you make so little sense it's astounding.

Don't reproduce, it just won't be fair on your potential offspring

13. Crankyhawk

Crankyhawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Voted Chris Scott only because he isn't as good as the others- not that he isn't a good coach. He started/ took over the strongest list of all the options

14. Crankyhawk

Crankyhawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Better than losin buddy, Sam, Lewis and hodge for biscuits and then getting Tyrone!

Relton Roberts likes this.
  15. muzhogg

muzhogg Debutant

Richmond
    Other teams:
    You've lost me.

Exactly how have I "deflected" from what you said was the topic -- the H&A season and Adelaide finishing minor premiers?

I'll happily repeat what I said...

Adelaide are a club I respect and admire for what they achieved over the last two years. They were the best team of the H&A season. They were deserved minor premiers.

As for a lack of maths skills -- I can only presume you think I'm saying that Richmond's draw wasn't "soft." But I'm saying no such thing. I acknowledge that Richmond had an easier H&A season than some other teams.

I reckon the only question mark over Richmond's season is how we would have coped with Sydney -- but I think all other questions have been answered. Soft draw or not, we beat the other top four teams when it mattered. That's a fact, not a hypothesis.

16. STPer18

STPer18 Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Voting for Hardwick.

17. The Donners

The Donners Brownlow Medallist

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Aston Villa
    A premiership is fantastic, I'm over the moon for Richmond and their fans but I don't think there is a bigger gap between a club's top players and its bottom players of their 22 than Richmond (other than the bottom 4 teams). Martin, Cotchin, Rance and Riewoldt are all brilliant but there's little talent below them. Hardwick is one of the all time great premiership coaches. He did the job with possibly the weakest premiership side in decades.

18. Herne Hill Hammer

Herne Hill Hammer Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    The first one I'll give you but the rest were the club's choice.

19. captain blood 17

captain blood 17 Tiger of Old

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Aston Villa, Traralgon Tyers United
    That's the thing though, two AA book ends, two brownlows in the middle is a great starting point, but Nankervis, Prestia, Vlaustin, Grimes, Ellis, Houli, Grigg, Rioli etc etc aren't spuds. The team had finished a game short of 4th two out of the three years we qualified for finals.
    The list is far better than credited for. I think people just don't want to associate most things positive with the tigers and are happy with the cliched jokes etc. And don't forget, Hardwick had to rebuild the list as a new coach with the berth of GWS.
    As for the worst premiership line, that's a BS cop out. You telling me all the leading players in the AFL all took the year off? So, no Danger, Buddy, Betts, Jones, Mitchell, etc etc, didn't play this year? And we smashed every other top 4 team in finals. That's not luck.
    I reckon take your blinkers off.

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

This Is Anfield likes this.
  20. Drexl 31

Drexl 31 Senior List

Carlton
    Other teams:
    I don't know. They may all be great. But for the most annoyingly disliked person Hardwick wins hands down, followed closely by his great friend Alastair.

21. Rance2Mewtwo

Rance2Mewtwo All Australian

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Richmond won the Grand Final and beat every Top 4 team by 8 goals in the finals.

18 wins for the season.

If you kick 1 less point, you finish 3rd in the ladder and travel to the MCG to face Richmond in Week 1, then you lose and face Sydney in Week 2.

Just 1 rushed behind and that’s what would’ve happened.

22. The Emu

The Emu Club Legend

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Good to see it's not just me.. I cop a lot of shit from own supporters for my view.

23. Doctor Gero

Doctor Gero TheBrownDog

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Tottenham, Mets, Bushrangers
    True. In all honesty that applies to us as well.
    Constantly told on this board we’re average and a two man team yet keep making top 4.

So which is it a very talented team poorly coached or an average team coached above expectations?

24. MacMum

MacMum Brownlow Medallist

Brisbane Lions
    Other teams:
    Richmond were better than every other club to win the flag.....doesn't say much for those other teams then, does it, if people are questioning the result?

Well done Tiges, you deserve your flag.

25. docko911

docko911 Norm Smith Medallist

Richmond
    Other teams:
    I find it strange people give Chris Scott a hard time, Geelong were meant to be too old and too slow the year he took over, and look what he has done with them.

Bomber Thompson was handed the greatest team on paper but it was only when they decided to pull their finger out they won premierships. Bomber Thompson is the worst coach for mine.