The worst premiership coach since 2000

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by captain blood 17, Oct 4, 2017.

Put it out there
?

Worst Premiership coach from 2000-2017

This poll will close on Nov 1, 2017 at 8:14 AM.
  1. 2000 Kevin Sheedy

12 vote(s)
    2.4%
  2. 2001, 2002, 2003 Leigh Matthews

2 vote(s)
    0.4%
  3. 2004 Mark Williams

30 vote(s)
    6.1%
  4. 2005 Paul Roos

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  5. 2006 John Worsfold

23 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. 2007 , 2009 Mark Bomber Thompson

4 vote(s)
    0.8%
  7. 2008, 2013, 2014, 2015 Alastair Clarkson

17 vote(s)
    3.4%
  8. 2010 Mick Malthouse

19 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. 2011 Chris Scott

227 vote(s)
    46.0%
  10. 2012 John Longmire

16 vote(s)
    3.2%
  11. 2016 Luke Beveridge

29 vote(s)
    5.9%
  12. 2017 Damien Hardwick

91 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. PhatBoy

PhatBoy Norm Smith Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    You’ve just tried to claim that skill accounts for 10 per cent of success. How can I take anything you say seriously?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2. PenfoldsFan

PenfoldsFan Debutant

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Hawthorn, Central Districts
    No I didn't, I said ability is only 10%, every team has its gun players, if just being a gun side accounted for anything, the minor premiers would have won the flag.
    And it really doesn't matter what you think, see you're doing it again, judging me by what you think is right.
    You're underestimating who I am and what I know based on your beliefs when in actual fact you don't know me from a bar of soap, it says more about you than me.

3. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    how arrogant that you think that your ground size is anything so magical that you need to keep it secret..

lordy it is only a few metres from end to end and side to side. grow up juvenile.

4. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Other teams:
    It is indeed narrow from side to side.

But if it’s a few metres from end to end, then every other stadium bar Subiaco is less than a few metres from end to end.

I don’t think there’s anything magical about our ground at all. Aside from its seemingly supernatural ability to keep the shit-piss colours of the Hawks out of its vicinity of course.

5. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Other teams:
    You’re a bloke on a website talking about footy.

PenfoldsFan likes this.
  6. PenfoldsFan

PenfoldsFan Debutant

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    I'll tell you a little story, it doesn't mean squat in the scheme of things, and you'll probably tell me you don't give a shit but i'll tell it anyway.

I play Lawn Bowls, yes I know, its an old mans game, blah, blah, I can also spend more time with a stubby in my hand than a bowl so its not all bad but keep it between us, I don't want it getting out.
    Anyway, a few years ago my Nephew and I made our clubs pairs final, we were playing against a couple of guns who came through a much harder half of the draw, the skip was a former state title holder who had been playing for 30yrs and his lead was a 10yr veteran, we had 4 years between us, however, in those years i'd played over a hundred games with the skip in all formats of the game, he had my number on any given day.
    So before the game I knew I had to do something which would rattle him, I had nothing to lose and was expected to finish second.
    So I won the coin toss and gave him the mat, this meant I had last bowl, when it came down to that last bowl I played a weighted shot across the head with 1 yard of weight and sat his shot bowl 3 rolls for 2 shots, he just looked at me.
    When we crossed ends next time he said he never knew I could play the shot never mind consider it an option, he underestimated me, strike 1.
    The next time we crossed, as I passed his lead I said, for **** sake Mark, get a close bowl I'm sick of hearing this prick whinging about you, he went to pieces strike 2
    They hardly scored again and spent the next 15 ends making snide comments at each other, strike 3
    You're out!
    He still talks about the title he was robbed of, I still remind him that they were fragile little flowers.

True story.

7. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Ok well and good - and I like lawn bowls - but I’m not really seeing a correlation to the merits of post-2000 Afl coaching here

8. PenfoldsFan

PenfoldsFan Debutant

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Am I, how do you know I'm not a woman on a website talking about footy?
    You're making assumptions again, lol.

PhatBoy likes this.
  9. King Brown

King Brown All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Clearly Malthouse, he was sacked a year after winning a premiership.

10. King Brown

King Brown All Australian

Essendon
    Other teams:
    And they nearly missed out in 2004.

11. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    no it just astounds me that a few metres either way is that much of a difference and well the piss and shit colours have served us nicely so tanks very much.

Is it just a thing that media and players/coaches use as something to talk about? the measure of the um manhood.. ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

12. PenfoldsFan

PenfoldsFan Debutant

Port Adelaide
    Other teams:
    Neither do I, I just like telling the story, thanks for reading it though.

Crankyhawk and PhatBoy like this.
  13. PhatBoy

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I don’t know - I didn’t bring it up. The ground is literally 6 metres skinnier than Subiaco and 7 metres skinnier than the AO (and it’s longer than the latter) but apparently we have an advantage over every team in the comp because of it. None of Scott’s wins as a coach are a result of anything other than the 6 less metres of turf from wing to wing at Skilled. Such is my understanding

14. Leeda

Leeda Talons B Sharp

Hawthorn
    Other teams:
    Tim Cahill
    well I guess that thank goodness we have such fantastic fan bases that we have to play at the G. But I guess the wins at Kardinia Park are due more to
    crowd infusion than ground and turf and well there you go.

Skinny is a temperamental word and well can be used incrementally.
    Size isn't everything but then again I don't know who exactly I am speaking to and therefore after revelations today it could be anyone...

so refrain from taking offence.

15. Rimmer

Rimmer Club Legend

Richmond
    Other teams:
    A curious question, there are a hundred really good coaches through those years who would love to be one of the worst premiership winning coaches. I guess it would be a coach who has only won one and has since been sacked. No, pass, all of those coaches on the list are brilliant.

16. Herne Hill Hammer

Herne Hill Hammer Brownlow Medallist

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Why would it be a 3 year hit? Did Dimma win a flag 3 years after taking over?

Is it just coincidence that they won after Balme came on board? That's where I'd be looking rather than telling us all how good Dimma is.

17. Sttew

Sttew Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    People forgetGeelong was smashed in the 2010 PF. Then it lost its No.1 (and the No.1 player in the AFL) in Ablett. Commentators declared Geelong too old and too slow. Bomber was bereft of ideas. In comes Scott, gently tweaks the game plan enough to completely reverse Geelong's fortunes. The rampaging Collingwood owned Geelong in 2010, but in 2011 Geelong absolutely owned Collingwood.

So yes, Scott inherited a 'premiership' side on paper, but under Bomber that team was finished. Give Scott credit. It is too simplistic to say anyone could have done what he did.

18. captain blood 17

captain blood 17 Tiger of Old

Richmond
    Other teams:
    Aston Villa, Traralgon Tyers United
    3-2 whatever, point is, do you bottom out and get the best picks in that you can and reload on gen next for the cats, or do you follow the current model of trading your picks for an attempt immediate result on guys like Ablett etc? What would you prefer?

Sent from my iPad using righteous man power

19. Turboman1994

Turboman1994 All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    Geelong fans stop whinging you got Patrick effin dangerfield for biscuits

Johnny_Dogg4 likes this.
  20. Sttew

Sttew Premium Platinum

Geelong
    Other teams:
    Are you in the right OP? This is about premiership coaches

21. Herne Hill Hammer

Geelong
    Other teams:
    and lost Ablett for biscuits.

22. Herne Hill Hammer

Geelong
    Other teams:
    I would honestly prefer seeing a rebuild where you can watch all the players grow and develop together. Unfortunately, drafts like '99 and '01 in Geelong's case and '01 and '04 in Hawthorn's case, don't just fall in your lap every season.

Having said that, I guess the quandry the Cats are in now is do they waste what's left of Selwood and Dangerfield or do they keep trying to capitalise on their presence by trading in ready made players?

At some point the club are going to run out of decent picks to trade (much like now) and if you want someone, you're going to have to give someone up that you might not necessarily want to.

Look at all the clubs that have won multiple premierships in a short space of time since 1990, they've mostly been made up of a group of core players of the same age bracket who have all come together at the same time and matured together. Of course that's only part of the equation, look at Melbourne, a plethora of high draft picks that have been wasted either through getting the wrong player or not having the proper off field team together to take advantage of it. Richmond in the early to mid 00's would be the same and Carlton too, although in Carlton's case, they were also crippled with draft sanctions in the early 00's. Thankfully, all three of these clubs seemed to have turned things around now. They're recruiting better and managing better.

captain blood 17 likes this.
  23. Jade

Jade Smug lives here.

Essendon
    Other teams:
    Who the **** voted for Clarkson??

24. Turboman1994

Turboman1994 All Australian

West Coast
    Other teams:
    agreed but you still got more ablett than hawks got for flanklin two end of first round picks after your first is still a good deal

25. BBC1967

BBC1967 Senior List

Richmond
    Other teams:
    So a team comes from 13th to Premiers - some say has one of the worst lists - wins by an average of about 7 goals- wins 18/25, and the coach is deemed by some oracles on BF to be worst PREMIERSHIP coach since 2000..........

captain blood 17 likes this.