The Worst Trade Ever

Remove this Banner Ad

a_231013sptsylvia06_19kbklp-19kbklt.jpg

You almost had it, apart from the fact we didn't actually trade for him

If Yarran doesn't get on the park in 2017 then he'd be close to the worst.

Richmond swapped Pick 31 in 2015 & a future 2nd rounder (currently Pick 26) for Pick 19, then on-traded that to Carlton for Yarran. Losing two second-rounders for potentially nothing is costly for a Richmond team lacking depth.

If Yarran doesn't get on the park in 2017 then he'd be close to the worst.

Richmond swapped Pick 31 in 2015 & a future 2nd rounder (currently Pick 26) for Pick 19, then on-traded that to Carlton for Yarran. Losing two second-rounders for potentially nothing is costly for a Richmond team lacking depth.
It already is one of the worst - Yarran would have been a free agent (likely unrestricted not too sure) this year so would have been available for free. So essentially they paid Pick 19 + $400k for a guy to sit on the sidelines for the entire year. If that's not bad enough it may have cost them a gem in Jade Gresham who was available at their pick 15, and most would assume Rioli would have still been there at their Pick 19.

It already is one of the worst - Yarran would have been a free agent (likely unrestricted not too sure) this year so would have been available for free. So essentially they paid Pick 19 + $400k for a guy to sit on the sidelines for the entire year. If that's not bad enough it may have cost them a gem in Jade Gresham who was available at their pick 15, and most would assume Rioli would have still been there at their Pick 19.

I still wouldn't say its worse than the Jed Anderson trade just yet. Yarran is a much better player than Anderson and Richmond got him for less, so if he gets back to playing good footy then it's still a salvageable situation for Richmond. That said, it doesn't look too likely right now.

I still wouldn't say its worse than the Jed Anderson trade just yet. Yarran is a much better player than Anderson and Richmond got him for less, so if he gets back to playing good footy then it's still a salvageable situation for Richmond. That said, it doesn't look too likely right now.
I don't think the Anderson trade was horrible if you judge how North came out of the trade period in the end.

It was Anderson + 38 + 40 for 15 + 55 - shocking deal for North but they played their cards really well. They send picks 38 + 40 to Brisbane along with a good but inconsistent Ryan Bastinac and return with picks 17 + 26. They didn't lose too much in the end thanks to the points system.

I don't think the Anderson trade was horrible if you judge how North came out of the trade period in the end.

It was Anderson + 38 + 40 for 15 + 55 - shocking deal for North but they played their cards really well. They send picks 38 + 40 to Brisbane along with a good but inconsistent Ryan Bastinac and return with picks 17 + 26. They didn't lose too much in the end thanks to the points system.

Yeah, North's overall outcome that trade period was decent. But if you just look at the one trade itself, it was horrendous.

Not trying to argue than any of the trades mentioned were great moves, but I think a lot of these posts show how much people overrate draft picks.

It's pretty clear that clubs who are worse-off (in an onfield sense) tend to overrate and rely rely heavily on high draft picks to get them moving forward. And rightly so - to a degree. But it shows in the better-off clubs (Hawthorn, Sydney) that draft picks aren't the be-all and end-all.

Sydney received Pick 14 for Mitchell (well under his value) and Hawthorn got 23 for Bradley Hill (under value also). Sydney will back themselves in to 1) draft and develop an absolute gem with that pick, and 2) obviously not place an unhealthy reliance on the kid taken to come straight in and dominate. Hawthorn traded off 23 but recent history suggests they would've drafted and developed a gun with it regardless.

The better clubs tend to be better due to having better development structures in place, so higher draft picks aren't as important to them. Check recent premiership sides - the number of B+ grade or better players who were rookies or players taken beyond pick 30-odd is fairly high.

Last edited:
I know you're being facetious but no one thinks the Tom Boyd trade was a bad one. It's the ridiculous sum of money he's being paid is what makes it laughable.

FWIW I think Boyd's tracking along nicely and will justify his contract soon enough.

Vickery getting $500k, Mayne getting $400k, Wells getting $600k.

These deals make his $900k look unders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

someone made a joke about how the stephen oreily trade cost picks 16 and 46, plus many picks because he ratted on them regarding the salary cap cheating. still even without that, a first and third round pick for a player who played half a season is pretty bad.

are there any players who were traded for a first rounder but never played. the closest i can find is the saints traded a first round pick for fergus watts who played 1 game. thats the worst trade ever for mine.

ok worst trade found:

hawks traded pick 10 for bo nixon. Played 1 game.
It was Pick 10 and Pick 37 for Bo Nixon and Pick 7. Bo Nixon may not have done too well for us, but Pick 7 (Jordan Lewis) has played 264 games for us so far. I don't think the trade was too bad for us ;)

For Collingwood, however, it was a different story. They picked Chris Egan with Pick 10 (who only played 27 games before being quietly delisted), and on traded Pick 37 to the Eags for Chad Morrison (who only played 21 games and was a shadow of his Eagle self). That Pick 37 ended up being Mark LeCras.

It's a no brainer, (The John Pitura Deal) you have to go way back to 1974/75 when Richmond under the Presidency of Ian Wilson and obsessive compulsive Graeme Richmond who wanted Pitura at any cost and they succeeded in doing that. They paid a fortune for him and gave the Swans 3 players along with the deal. Graham Teasdale, Brian "Whale" Roberts and Francis Jackson. Roberts almost won the Brownlow in 1975, losing by just 3 votes in 14 games to eventual winner Gary Dempsey who played 21! Graham Teasdale won the Brownlow medal in 1977 in a landslide. The Tigers were still competitive in the mid 70's, but even Tom Hafey jumped ship after 1976. Players were disgruntled and the Tigers had to re-build again to achieve success in 1980. We all know how well they have gone since! Although the Tigers won their 10th premiership in 1980, the seeds of discontent had been sewn and disaster struck when star centreman Geoff Raines left at the end of 1982 - also over money. Geniuses!

The Pitura deal was a transfer fee of $40,000 ($300k in today's money) Remember that was the transfer fee, not Pitura's salary.

Pitura played 40 games for Richmond while Teasdale went on to win a Brownlow Medal for the Swans. Francis Jackson played 100 games for the Swans

"It was a big mistake and I could see that a week after we let them go," former coach Tom Hafey said.

Ian Wilson - "Don't even talk to me about it, not many people know that. It was $40,000 and the three players... don't even go any further."

The deal sent a club broke and pretty much is the catalyst for today's problems. Outside of 1980 which appears now to be an aberration, it screwed the Tigers for the next 40 odd years!

John Pitura was a very talented player, the best player in an average side, but had no temperament, no due diligence was done on this, you just can't play this game on talent alone otherwise Sam Kekovich would've been a triple Brownlow medalist! I think Richmond's idea was based on Pitura's long raking left footers heading deep into the forward line (The kick it to Royce theory?) Ian Stewart was retiring and Graeme Richmond was obsessed with Pitura as his replacement.

John Pitura was finished at age 27 at the end of the 1977 season. The same year Teasdale won the medal.

Worst trade/deal of all time!

It's a no brainer, (The John Pitura Deal) you have to go way back to 1974/75 when Richmond under the Presidency of Ian Wilson and obsessive compulsive Graeme Richmond who wanted Pitura at any cost and they succeeded in doing that. They paid a fortune for him and gave the Swans 3 players along with the deal. Graham Teasdale, Brian "Whale" Roberts and Francis Jackson. Roberts almost won the Brownlow in 1975, losing by just 3 votes in 14 games to eventual winner Gary Dempsey who played 21! Graham Teasdale won the Brownlow medal in 1977 in a landslide. The Tigers were still competitive in the mid 70's, but even Tom Hafey jumped ship after 1976. Players were disgruntled and the Tigers had to re-build again to achieve success in 1980. We all know how well they have gone since! Although the Tigers won their 10th premiership in 1980, the seeds of discontent had been sewn and disaster struck when star centreman Geoff Raines left at the end of 1982 - also over money. Geniuses!

The Pitura deal was a transfer fee of $40,000 ($300k in today's money) Remember that was the transfer fee, not Pitura's salary.

Pitura played 40 games for Richmond while Teasdale went on to win a Brownlow Medal for the Swans. Francis Jackson played 100 games for the Swans

"It was a big mistake and I could see that a week after we let them go," former coach Tom Hafey said.

Ian Wilson - "Don't even talk to me about it, not many people know that. It was $40,000 and the three players... don't even go any further."

The deal sent a club broke and pretty much is the catalyst for today's problems. Outside of 1980 which appears now to be an aberration, it screwed the Tigers for the next 40 odd years!

John Pitura was a very talented player, the best player in an average side, but had no temperament, no due diligence was done on this, you just can't play this game on talent alone otherwise Sam Kekovich would've been a triple Brownlow medalist! I think Richmond's idea was based on Pitura's long raking left footers heading deep into the forward line (The kick it to Royce theory?) Ian Stewart was retiring and Graeme Richmond was obsessed with Pitura as his replacement.

John Pitura was finished at age 27 at the end of the 1977 season. The same year Teasdale won the medal.

Worst trade/deal of all time!
In terms of damage done by a single trade, this would have to be it.

Apparently, I was not alive back then, it also screwed up the club culturally letting those 3 guys go who were all big characters of punt road.

Freo NEVER had access to Lloyd

Correct. I swear I see this mentioned somewhere every 6 months. If you dig deeper on our dealings with Essendon you will see just how inept we were and how smart Essendon was.

Essendon dealt us Ridley & Kickett but because clubs who lost players to us received a 16yr old they made a condition that we were not to take any players from clubs that finished lower than Essendon - thus Essendon getting first dibs on a sure thing superstar Lloyd.

We also dealt our pick 4 to Essendon for tony delaney.

I can go on, or if you search my posts on the freo board you'll see a few good displays of amateur decision making by the club initially.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back