2nds The WSU Giants 2017 NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

4hcjEWH.png

i2wQ692.png

25 B Myers
45 S Driscoll
Don't know anything about them, but that's the jumper numbers listed on the NEAFL site, looking above Myers certainly saw a lot of it
Myers was very good - more impressive than our listed players. I thought Driscoll showed a bit of dash. I only saw the second half...

Myers was very good - more impressive than our listed players. I thought Driscoll showed a bit of dash. I only saw the second half...
Where would we get these guys from? Do we scout the local clubs and elevate them from there considering we are so down on troops at the moment?

Where would we get these guys from? Do we scout the local clubs and elevate them from there considering we are so down on troops at the moment?
The majority of the top-up players come from the GWS academy teams - mainly the U18, but a couple from the lower ages. The problem for Brad Miller (the NEAFL coach) is that he has different players each week, and I wouldn't think they train with the team as many of them come from Wagga, Riverina etc. The top two scoring top-ups against Brisbane, Tom Highmore (from Canberra) & Brendan Myers (Wagga) are U18 academy kids who have made the Allies U18 training squad. Along with Nick Shipley (Western Sydney) & Nathan Richards (Griffiths), they are 4 of the 5 GWS kids who made the Allies squad eligible for GWS 2017 draft academy selection (the other is Jack Powell from Canberra, and I expect they should all make the final Allies squad). Rhys Pollock, Riley Budd, Shaun Driscoll, Tyh Evans, Matt Walker, James Peatling, Keiran Briggs, Ben McGinness & Riley Corbett are all GWS academy kids who didn't make the Allies training squad. You can find the various age squads here - http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-02-27/2017-academy-program.

Dylan Addison is the ex-AFL player who's the club's welfare officer, and I don't know who Tanner is, doesn't seem to be in the GWS Academy but appears to be a Riverina lad.

The majority of the top-up players come from the GWS academy teams - mainly the U18, but a couple from the lower ages. The problem for Brad Miller (the NEAFL coach) is that he has different players each week, and I wouldn't think they train with the team as many of them come from Wagga, Riverina etc. The top two scoring top-ups against Brisbane, Tom Highmore (from Canberra) & Brendan Myers (Wagga) are U18 academy kids who have made the Allies U18 training squad. Along with Nick Shipley (Western Sydney) & Nathan Richards (Griffiths), they are 4 of the 5 GWS kids who made the Allies squad eligible for GWS 2017 draft academy selection (the other is Jack Powell from Canberra, and I expect they should all make the final Allies squad). Rhys Pollock, Riley Budd, Shaun Driscoll, Tyh Evans, Matt Walker, James Peatling, Keiran Briggs, Ben McGinness & Riley Corbett are all GWS academy kids who didn't make the Allies training squad. You can find the various age squads here - http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2017-02-27/2017-academy-program.

Dylan Addison is the ex-AFL player who's the club's welfare officer, and I don't know who Tanner is, doesn't seem to be in the GWS Academy but appears to be a Riverina lad.

If our injuries keep up, we will see M. Lambert on the team sheet for the magoos ...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Addison was one of the names that I did recognise. I thought he had retired? Obviously he has a token contract to play in the 2's in case of emergency (where we seem to be right about now)

Addison was one of the names that I did recognise. I thought he had retired? Obviously he has a token contract to play in the 2's in case of emergency (where we seem to be right about now)

The clubs can fill in whoever against other AFL clubs. The Lions ran out Leigh Harding for a game or two due to injuries - he was their reserves coach and retired from the AFL in 2010.

The clubs can fill in whoever against other AFL clubs. The Lions ran out Leigh Harding for a game or two due to injuries - he was their reserves coach and retired from the AFL in 2010.
But we can't against the non-AFL clubs? How would that work if we keep losing players to injury? Would we ever see us not field a full 22?

But we can't against the non-AFL clubs? How would that work if we keep losing players to injury? Would we ever see us not field a full 22?

Against non-AFL clubs there are other rules. I think we're basically restricted to the academy/U18 kids as mentioned before. We'll always be able to field 22.

Against non-AFL clubs there are other rules. I think we're basically restricted to the academy/U18 kids as mentioned before. We'll always be able to field 22.
Well giving games against bigger bodies to our academy kids can only be a good thing long-term you would think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back