2nds The WSU Giants 2018 NEAFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that's BNonar's first 1st in the bests?
Anyone know if Flynn travelled to Adelaide or have I missed an injury?
Good to see Peatling and Sproule in particular doing well

Nothing mentioned on Flynn except being a late withdrawal from the game
Might see something in the injury report
Cumming apparently left the game at HT to fly to Adelaide to be the match day emergency
Another reason the Vic clubs have it easier, actual reserves teams and no real travel except to Geelong/Ballarat

http://neafl.com.au/rd-16-tribal-sport-neafl-rising-star-nominee-james-peatling/
Hope the club picks him up in the draft and he can continue to improve, Other nominees from the academy were Riley Budd and ex academy players Mitch Maguire and Alex peach so further proof of the work the academy is doing strengthening the NEAFL comp and also good to see the Canberra Demons are top and they are I think benefiting greatly from the academy and also a well run club

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-07-23/neafl-giants-record-dramatic-draw

BRISBANE 2.4, 8.4, 11.11, 14.15 (99)
GIANTS 4.3, 8.9, 12.12, 14.15 (99)

GOALS

GIANTS: Sproule 4; Buckley 3; Peatling, Bonar 2; Banuelos, Lloyd, Finlayson

GIANTS NEAFL coach Adam Schneider on the GIANTS’ AFL Listed Players:

Nick Shipley

“Nick had a pretty good start to the game but pulled up with a sore ankle in the third quarter which wasn’t great. He was starting to find a fair bit of the footy for us and was contributing well.”

Dylan Buckley

“He was our little angry ant down forward – Ant-Man he calls himself – and he was fantastic for us on the day. He had 11 score involvements, was always on the move and was very dangerous when the ball was near him. Really, really good day for him and he was also captain for us and he made the players around him even better.”

Zach Sproule

“He had a very good game kicking four goals. His work rate was high and the most impressive thing about Zach on the weekend was a couple of his defensive moments; some chase down tackles and his attack on the contest. It was another good game by Zach.”

Tim Mohr

“Mr Reliable down back again, he’s rarely beaten. I think one of the areas of his game that he’s really improved on is his use of the ball by foot. It was fantastic as he got up the ground a bit higher and really set us up.”

Isaac Cumming

“He was probably playing one of his best games of the last four or five weeks, he was really fantastic. He got his run off half-back going again and used the ball really well, and didn’t get beaten in a one-on-one. Also won some really big balls in the contest so it really hurt us to lose him at half time but it was a great half nonetheless.”

Jake Stein

“Great game by Jake again, he played on Connor Ballenden their big ruck who only kicked one goal. It was a solid game by him again and he halves the contest at times when he shouldn’t. He’s probably one of our most improved players which is really great to see.”

Jack Buckley

“He copped a massive knee-on-knee collision in the first quarter and you could tell as he was running around that he was pretty sore. It was a brave effort by him to finish the game for us.”

Jeremy Finlayson

“Jeremy with ball in hand was sensational for us. When he gets the ball he’s got a great leg and he kicked a goal from about 70 metres out from a set shot which was very team lifting. We threw him everywhere during the day, back, forward and midfield and he played a part in some big contests for us in the last quarter.”

Aiden Bonar

“Probably the best all-round game I’ve seen from Aiden this year. Offensively we know how good he is but defensively some of the stuff he’s been working on very hard with Damian Trusslove (GIANTS Development Coach) in his reviews is his defensive stuff. It was fantastic on Saturday he had six or seven tackles and did a lot of chasing which was super, and then he pushed forward and was rewarded with a couple of goals.”

Daniel Lloyd

“It was an interesting game for Daniel, he’s a workhorse, running up and back all day. He had a solid game laid eight tackles as well but was in and out of the game at times. He kicked a magnificent goal in the last quarter to set us alight and give us a good chance of winning.”

http://www.gwsgiants.com.au/news/2018-07-23/neafl-giants-record-dramatic-draw

BRISBANE 2.4, 8.4, 11.11, 14.15 (99)
GIANTS 4.3, 8.9, 12.12, 14.15 (99)

GOALS

GIANTS: Sproule 4; Buckley 3; Peatling, Bonar 2; Banuelos, Lloyd, Finlayson

GIANTS NEAFL coach Adam Schneider on the GIANTS’ AFL Listed Players:

Nick Shipley

“Nick had a pretty good start to the game but pulled up with a sore ankle in the third quarter which wasn’t great. He was starting to find a fair bit of the footy for us and was contributing well.”

Dylan Buckley

“He was our little angry ant down forward – Ant-Man he calls himself – and he was fantastic for us on the day. He had 11 score involvements, was always on the move and was very dangerous when the ball was near him. Really, really good day for him and he was also captain for us and he made the players around him even better.”

Zach Sproule

“He had a very good game kicking four goals. His work rate was high and the most impressive thing about Zach on the weekend was a couple of his defensive moments; some chase down tackles and his attack on the contest. It was another good game by Zach.”

Tim Mohr

“Mr Reliable down back again, he’s rarely beaten. I think one of the areas of his game that he’s really improved on is his use of the ball by foot. It was fantastic as he got up the ground a bit higher and really set us up.”

Isaac Cumming

“He was probably playing one of his best games of the last four or five weeks, he was really fantastic. He got his run off half-back going again and used the ball really well, and didn’t get beaten in a one-on-one. Also won some really big balls in the contest so it really hurt us to lose him at half time but it was a great half nonetheless.”

Jake Stein

“Great game by Jake again, he played on Connor Ballenden their big ruck who only kicked one goal. It was a solid game by him again and he halves the contest at times when he shouldn’t. He’s probably one of our most improved players which is really great to see.”

Jack Buckley

“He copped a massive knee-on-knee collision in the first quarter and you could tell as he was running around that he was pretty sore. It was a brave effort by him to finish the game for us.”

Jeremy Finlayson

“Jeremy with ball in hand was sensational for us. When he gets the ball he’s got a great leg and he kicked a goal from about 70 metres out from a set shot which was very team lifting. We threw him everywhere during the day, back, forward and midfield and he played a part in some big contests for us in the last quarter.”

Aiden Bonar

“Probably the best all-round game I’ve seen from Aiden this year. Offensively we know how good he is but defensively some of the stuff he’s been working on very hard with Damian Trusslove (GIANTS Development Coach) in his reviews is his defensive stuff. It was fantastic on Saturday he had six or seven tackles and did a lot of chasing which was super, and then he pushed forward and was rewarded with a couple of goals.”

Daniel Lloyd

“It was an interesting game for Daniel, he’s a workhorse, running up and back all day. He had a solid game laid eight tackles as well but was in and out of the game at times. He kicked a magnificent goal in the last quarter to set us alight and give us a good chance of winning.”
Sounds like Bonar is close to his debut. Probably needs a midfield injury though, so no rush.

Sounds like Bonar is close to his debut. Probably needs a midfield injury though, so no rush.
The concerning thing was the highlighting of him being directed to work on the defensive side of his game, we don't need any more fwds that don't tackle, so great signs he is making moves there and hopefully ingrained by debut

The concerning thing was the highlighting of him being directed to work on the defensive side of his game, we don't need any more fwds that don't tackle, so great signs he is making moves there and hopefully ingrained by debut
Agree
I thought it was positive that he seems to be working and making progress on that weakness though.
From what I've seen he's like a freight train through the contest which is very promising.
We dont need a mid that cant kr doesn't want to run both ways, I get that.

Team for the curtain raiser v Sydney uni and any who get to the game early any thoughts on the players would be greatly appreciated
No Flynn and Shipley so hopefully just minor injuries and with the bye next week they should all be fresh for the last few games
Interesting that MDB and Perryman are named and especially as MDB isn't even an emergency so maybe they play 3/4 of the game to ease them in
Hopefully Sproule can spend most of the game as a forward and see if he can kick another bag, and all the academy prospects except Walker are in the team so good to see with 12 listed players and the rest academy

B:
48. Guy Richardson 39. Tim Mohr 52. Rhys Pollock
HB: 49. Shaun Driscoll 42. Jake Stein 13. Isaac Cumming
C: 54. Riley Budd 43. Dylan Buckley 45. James Peatling
HF: 47. Liam Delahunty 44. Kieren Briggs 41. Jack Buckley
F: 50. Tyh Evans 28. Zach Sproule 51. Tom Green
Foll: 25. Lachlan Keeffe 36. Harry Perryman, 31. Jeremy Finlayson
Inter: 10. Aiden Bonar 24. Matt De Boer 53. Will Clark 38. Daniel Lloyd

Team for the curtain raiser v Sydney uni and any who get to the game early any thoughts on the players would be greatly appreciated
No Flynn and Shipley so hopefully just minor injuries and with the bye next week they should all be fresh for the last few games
Interesting that MDB and Perryman are named and especially as MDB isn't even an emergency so maybe they play 3/4 of the game to ease them in
Hopefully Sproule can spend most of the game as a forward and see if he can kick another bag, and all the academy prospects except Walker are in the team so good to see with 12 listed players and the rest academy

B:
48. Guy Richardson 39. Tim Mohr 52. Rhys Pollock
HB: 49. Shaun Driscoll 42. Jake Stein 13. Isaac Cumming
C: 54. Riley Budd 43. Dylan Buckley 45. James Peatling
HF: 47. Liam Delahunty 44. Kieren Briggs 41. Jack Buckley
F: 50. Tyh Evans 28. Zach Sproule 51. Tom Green
Foll: 25. Lachlan Keeffe 36. Harry Perryman, 31. Jeremy Finlayson
Inter: 10. Aiden Bonar 24. Matt De Boer 53. Will Clark 38. Daniel Lloyd
Given De Boer and Perryman have had short absences I think you have to assume that they weren't preferred. I think there is some bias to the incumbent in team selections and there's a bar to dislodge them.
I get Adam Kennedy possibly being preferred over Perryman but Daniel's over De Boer a bit of a surprise. He is a lively little fella though and I hope he hits the scoreboard this week.
I'll be interested what happens with Corr and Bunts as well, I thinkthey're competing for a spot right now.

I'd like to see De Boer playing but competition for spots is a real positive.

I assume DeBoer will only play a half or there abouts. Just a run to get the cobwebs out. And Daniels didn’t do anything too wrong to get him dropped for a “marginal” DeBoer. Next week though...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4vfve1B.png

ylIurHs.png

Shows what the team is capable of with a good spread of listed players on the ground and a chance to still make the finals but it will be hard with games v the other three AFL reserves team to finish the year off although the wheels are falling off at the Swans a chance to win the last 3 games of the season would be a great way to end the season
Big game from Sproule and I think he will have learnt a lot from this year with the midfield time and also being a more experienced player in the team and hope he can continue the form and have a big preseason
Interested if anyone noticed who TOJ was playing on? Thought he may be learning to play on the bigger forwards as a sign to how the club see him next year and going forward
Bye this week so a chance to get over any niggles and hopefully Flynn and Shipley are back in for the next game on the GC as a curtain raiser

The injuries from the Carlton game and also Shipley and Flynn not playing have decimated the reserves and with possibly 2 senior emergencies it could be ugly on the GC
Team below and between 6 and 8 listed players so hopefully the academy boys can impact the game although by the names on the Suns they are in the same situation with 7 listed players so good for the Academy boys and Barlow to get an easy fifty possessions
The game is not being streamed but the AP should have the stats

B: 48. Guy Richardson 34. Max Beaumont 52. Rhys Pollock
HB: 49. Shaun Driscoll 35. Luke Vella 13. Isaac Cumming
C: 54. Riley Budd 40. Riley Bice 45. James Peatling
HF: 53. Will Clark 44. Kieren Briggs 41. Edward Cole
F: 50. Tyh Evans 28. Zach Sproule 47. Nick Murray
Foll: 42. Jake Stein 36. Harry Perryman 46. Dylan Addison
Inter: 38. Daniel Lloyd 25. Lachlan Keeffe 31. Jeremy Finlayson 43. Dylan Buckley 55. Ryan Hebron

Our boys playing well with both teams depleted of much of their reserves team. At half time, scores are 33-64 in our favour, with Lloyd (19 disposals, 4 goals) and Perryman (26 disposals - racking them up in the absence of all our reserve mids) the top players on our end. Briggs seems to be killing it in the ruck, cumming and finlayson also doing ok. Screenshot_2018-08-11-12-06-11.png

Last edited by a moderator:
With Heater aging and his eventual replacement post-2019 seeming to be one of Perryman or Cumming, who do you guys think will rise up to the challenge? Perryman seems to be more an inside player with the build and footy smarts of Shaw and the ability to accumulate possessions, but Cumming has the outside foot skills and leg speed of Shaw. Not sure who I prefer more at this stage, both have had a relatively stagnant year, however I feel like Perryman has been playing better than Cumming this year. What are everyone's thoughts on the two?

With Heater aging and his eventual replacement post-2019 seeming to be one of Perryman or Cumming, who do you guys think will rise up to the challenge? Perryman seems to be more an inside player with the build and footy smarts of Shaw and the ability to accumulate possessions, but Cumming has the outside foot skills and leg speed of Shaw. Not sure who I prefer more at this stage, both have had a relatively stagnant year, however I feel like Perryman has been playing better than Cumming this year. What are everyone's thoughts on the two?
An interesting question. When we drafted Perryman, he was an inside mid but with great utility value - wasn't quick but great vision and precise kicking. So, for me he seemed a likely replacement for Heater. I'm less sure now, but it's still possible. I don't necessarily think Cumming is the man; he's more a Williams/Kennedy speedy counter-attacker for mine - but has time to broaden his skills. TBH, I've been more lately returning to thinking of Buntine as possibly Heater's replacement. I know he's taller, but we shouldn't be looking for a carbon copy. Bunts is a leader - as seen with his early elevation into the leadership group - brave and skilful. He'd have more speed and greater kicking precision than Heater, and can play both tall and small, so useful in that sense. One difference is that Heater has been really durable, and Buntine has not. Durability can't be underrated in terms of helping team stability!

Heater's been OK this year, good in patches but the age-related decline is there. We'll see if he makes it all the way through next year, or needs to be eased out - although Leon is pretty loyal to his veterans.

An interesting question. When we drafted Perryman, he was an inside mid but with great utility value - wasn't quick but great vision and precise kicking. So, for me he seemed a likely replacement for Heater. I'm less sure now, but it's still possible. I don't necessarily think Cumming is the man; he's more a Williams/Kennedy speedy counter-attacker for mine - but has time to broaden his skills. TBH, I've been more lately returning to thinking of Buntine as possibly Heater's replacement. I know he's taller, but we shouldn't be looking for a carbon copy. Bunts is a leader - as seen with his early elevation into the leadership group - brave and skilful. He'd have more speed and greater kicking precision than Heater, and can play both tall and small, so useful in that sense. One difference is that Heater has been really durable, and Buntine has not. Durability can't be underrated in terms of helping team stability!

Heater's been OK this year, good in patches but the age-related decline is there. We'll see if he makes it all the way through next year, or needs to be eased out - although Leon is pretty loyal to his veterans.

Agreed, I can see Bunts eventually taking out that extra defensive role when Heater eventually retires. Think his marking, leadership and versatility to cover both mid-tall/small forwards will put him in good stead. We should have enough dare, creativity and ball-carriers in the form of whitfield, kenners and williams to return. Davis, Corr, Taylor, Haynes and Bunts will make up the rest of the backline presumably. The concern would be distributing the age group of our small/mid defenders so would be important for one of Perryman/Cumming to step up regardless. As it stands though, would be hard to see where Perryman and Cumming fit into the future team unless injuries give them opportunities. Luckily, both are academy boys and wont have the go home factor, but would be sad to see both leaving to seek more senior opportunities if they cant crack the team after 3-4 years (in 2020).

Convincing 70 point win for the lads. Cumming no stats in second half, hopefully just rested and not injured. Lloyd banging the door down with 6 goals and 37 possessions, Sproule again good with 3 goals and Perryman finished with 43 possessions and 1 goal. Briggs seemed to have around 50-60 hitouts which bodes well for the future too. Finlayson again good without being great with 22 possessions of which 18 were kicks.

Great win by the NEAFL team, 20.9.129 to 9.5.59 for Suns.

Great games from Dan Lloyd (6 goals, 37 disposals, 171 DT pts) & Harry Perryman (43 disposals, 1 goal, 145 DT pts). Briggs, Stein, Peatling all high up in DT pts, so will be interested to read the coach's assessment of their respective games. Finlayson (22 disposals) & Sproule (3 goals) also contributed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back