The Yemen Conflict

Remove this Banner Ad

The Wahhabis continue to respond to war losses by killing civilians. And we're allied with these butchers?

Lots of kids and babies starving to death
5 million.
And shortly after the war the US signed a massive arms deal to provide the Sauds with a lot of hardware.

5bc5fbaaea92b1118415d4d2

The UN food agency has warned that 13 million Yemenis may face starvation.
Their only crime was being born to Shia parents, and the West seems to have backed the Sunni regimes in the ME (hence opposition to Assad, Iran, and no action for Palestine)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

7 years in and up to 3 pages. No one cares.
There was plenty of applauding Trump's arms sales to the House of Saud early into his presidency.

Without pictures it's easy for people to disconnect.

115 billion under Obama…

And another $650 billion from Bidens administration …
Who was applauding that on BigFooty?

Not me… just pointing out the hypocrisy of the west..
I agree it's hypocritical and the house of Saud are worse than Putin. But the reality is that the other side of this conflict isn't much better (especially their allies). So it's hard for the MSM to create a narrative, especially in a very very complicated situation which very few Australians care to know about.

Ukraine is just a much more straight-forward narrative. Russia bad guys invading Ukraine-good guys.

Keep in mind, though that Fox News were on the side of Russia up to a week ago, so I guess it wasn't all that straight-forward!

Probably a good lesson that all wars are bad.

I agree it's hypocritical and the house of Saud are worse than Putin. But the reality is that the other side of this conflict isn't much better (especially their allies). So it's hard for the MSM to create a narrative, especially in a very very complicated situation which very few Australians care to know about.

Ukraine is just a much more straight-forward narrative. Russia bad guys invading Ukraine-good guys.

Keep in mind, though that Fox News were on the side of Russia up to a week ago, so I guess it wasn't all that straight-forward!

Probably a good lesson that all wars are bad.

I got no idea what your point is …😂

Some background reading albeit 3 months old.

OK, so this is first I've heard about this conflict. Reading through that BBC post from seven years ago, would I be right in saying that the Houthi rebels aren't anything legitimate and just making trouble?

And then there's Bin Salman who murdered the journalist, Khashoggi. So.... they both don't seem like decent people. Simplistic, I know.

Or is all this off the mark?

Not me… just pointing out the hypocrisy of the west..
There were posters on BF who applauded Trump's arms sale to the Saudis.
There is definitely a hypocrisy present.

Is it? The Ukrainian Government aren’t exactly “good guys”. But surely the sympathy of the world is with the Ukrainian people, not their Government. As it should be with the Yemeni people, Palestinian people, Afghan people and any others oppressed by a violent, powerful, invasive regime.

(Sadly, of course, it’s Russian conscripts who must pay the price of any fight back but that’s the unfortunate reality, that we accept in this situation for whatever reason but not many of the others. Ideally as few of them are killed as possible also, and the true “bad guys” are punished. Which, in the case of Yemen, is pretty much the entire Saudi Royal Family.)

Is it? The Ukrainian Government aren’t exactly “good guys”. But surely the sympathy of the world is with the Ukrainian people, not their Government. As it should be with the Yemeni people, Palestinian people, Afghan people and any others oppressed by a violent, powerful, invasive regime.

(Sadly, of course, it’s Russian conscripts who must pay the price of any fight back but that’s the unfortunate reality, that we accept in this situation for whatever reason but not many of the others. Ideally as few of them are killed as possible also, and the true “bad guys” are punished. Which, in the case of Yemen, is pretty much the entire Saudi Royal Family.)
I feel bad for most Afghani people. I feel bad for any peoples at war. But there are scales. Since many of the people of Afghanistan basically practice barbaric 10th century lifestyles being awful to women and children, it's very hard to feel sympathy for any adult male in Afghanistan, or adopt a strong stance on one side or the other in their current conflict.

I think Zelensky is seen as a "good guy", I think people are far more sympathetic to democratic people/governments as a whole, because democratic Govts are reflective of their people. Very different to theocracies, tribal patriarchies and authoritarian dictators.

Houthi rebels have launched violent attacks on the government plus have attacked ME neighbors.

Saudi response has been over the top. No doubt about that. But not comparable to Ukraine who are not attacking Russia.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back