Competitions The You Tube List Manager

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
I've always wanted a place where I can easily reference how well I thought I would have gone if I was in charge on Draft night . From the players in the 2014 draft taken after our first pick I thought Conner Blakely would be the best player and I raved about him after watching his highlights. I take some strange pleasure from his development this year so:

If you fancy yourself a fantastic judge of junior talent just from watching 1 minute You tube clips then this is the place for you.

The rules are simple:
You can only take the same amount of picks as North in the draft.
You can take 1 rookie every 2 years but they must be selected in the national draft
You can only choose a player that is selected after that pick.
You must declare if you have watched any of the players live.
Teams will be finalised by mid December, preferably before pre season starts.

I will update the OP with names of players and their selections. When your boy has blinder feel free to brag. When your player spuds it up brace yourself. If anyone has any ideas speak up.

King Corey
Mixed Results
Dumont2Brown
Groin guru
YearOfTheRoos
Heaps of fun
remfan101
Orange Peanut

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
I've always wanted a place where I can easily reference how well I thought I would have gone if I was in charge on Draft night . From the players in the 2014 draft taken after our first pick I thought Conner Blakely would be the best player and I raved about him after watching his highlights. I take some strange pleasure from his development this year so:

If you fancy yourself a fantastic judge of junior talent just from watching 1 minute You tube clips then this is the place for you.

The rules are simple:
You can only take the same amount of picks as North in the draft.
You can take 1 rookie every 2 years but they must be selected in the national draft
You can only choose a player that is selected after that pick.
You must declare if you have watched any of the players live.
Teams will be finalised by mid December, preferably before pre season starts.

I will update the OP with names of players and their selections. When your boy has blinder feel free to brag. When your player spuds it up brace yourself. If anyone has any ideas speak up.

Go find the kid's Fishing Rod

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Not a bad idea. Should be fun to look back on in a few years time and see how much better we are than the club at spotting talent.

Are we allowed to select the player that North Melbourne drafts? e.g if Cerra is taken at #4, am I able to take Cerra, or will I have to take somebody that the club passed on?

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
Not a bad idea. Should be fun to look back on in a few years time and see how much better we are than the club at spotting talent.

Are we allowed to select the player that North Melbourne drafts? e.g if Cerra is taken at #4, am I able to take Cerra, or will I have to take somebody that the club passed on?
No you can take the same player. I imagine with such an early pick as this year there will be a few that will take the same player the interest lies later in the draft I think

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
Nice one YearOfTheRoos .

Hopefully a few posters get involved here, would be interesting to assess our strikerate over time based on perusing highlight clips giantroo posts.

Will update when I'm able to sacrifice more precious time to scouting Youtube but right now the NMFC v.KC select:

#4 - Luke Davies-Uniacke
#25 (we all know our pick will slide out) - Paddy Dow

If I have to make it plausible

#4 - Stephenson
#25 O'Brien

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I only have one that stands out to me as I don't usually follow the TAC at all.

But one year I was watching the Grand Final and noticed this Seb Ross guy and thought to myself "Gee, I'd love to have this kid at North".

I think he ended up being drafted somewhere in the 20's but he would be tracking much higher than that at this point I would imagine.

Groin guru

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 21, 2017
Destination Club
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I want to play, but I don’t want to be haunted by a player for years to come.
LB2Snake
unnamed (5).jpg

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
OK with just over a week to go until the draft I'm starting to feel a bit nervous about the inaugural draft for team YearOfTheRoos. Feels a bit like school exams at the moment where clearly I haven't put in the effort so for but some last minute cramming will result in a solid A-

I have come up with a simple strategy which I think could work. Watch a few clips now then load up after the draft. No point burning out on clips with kids that may not get drafted.

As far as the rules go I was thinking that I might change the rookie selections. The original idea was to weight gems found late in the draft but not sure leaving out the rookie draft all together is a good idea. Perhaps we could assume the 1st pick in the rookie draft and include all kids taken after our last pick in the national draft? Or am I overcomplicating it? Open to suggestions here

Regarding final teams, pre season has already started so I was thinking list lodgements should be in before the Christmas break lets say Friday 22nd December midnight.

Oct 22, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
OOB
So after the dust has almost settled from the National draft here are my initial thoughts.

Pick #4: Hold. Never even considered LDU would make it to our pick, in fact of all the top 6 ranked players he was the only one I was certain would be gone before pick 4.

Pick #23: I like the look of Willie Wonker but I'm taking a safer bet this high in the draft. ATM it's between 2 players but no doubt the more clips I watch the more confusing it will become.

Pick #62: Initial thoughts are I should hold on this one given there were only 16 kids taken after him and he does look the goods from all the highlights I've seen.

Pick #72 and #77: No way I'm taking a developing ruckman or a Hawthorn reject this early in my list build. There is only one other taken from the ND I would consider at this stage but that may change.

Nov 17, 2011
AFL Club
North Melbourne
To make things interesting I'm going to pass on every player that we selected with the exception of LDU.

Pick 4: LDU -
I thought about taking Cerra here just for the fun of it, but I don't want to look back in five-years time and see myself passing on a three-time North Smith medallist.

Pick 23: Andrew McPherson - While this selection might be influenced by the recent success of Witherden, McPherson sounds like a great kid and while it's almost a cliche at this point he would've gone a lot higher had he stayed healthy. I also feel like backing Adelaide to draft and develop a half-back is just about the safest bet that you can make.

Pick 62: Hamish Brayshaw - I thought long and hard about Meek and North here, but I can't shake this strong feeling that Brayshaw will make it in some capacity. For all of the doubts about his 2017 TAC Cup numbers, people ignore the fact that in the first half of 2016 he was really good. In the five games that he played before August, he had one game where he was in the best with 10 touches (presumably tagging?) and another four where he averaged 26 touches and kicked 7 goals. He also put up those numbers while recovering from a lisfranc injury that was likely the reason for his poor form in the back half of the year.

Pick 72: Bailey Banfield - Athletic 19-year-old who put up some good numbers in the WAFL and at this stage of the draft that's enough.

Pick 77: Ryan Burrows - A pretty interesting story that points to this kid having plenty of upside. Not much else to choose from considering the lack of kids taken in the rookie draft.

Back