Roast The "you were wrong" thread AKA the Caro Cup

Remove this Banner Ad

I have a long list:
  • I didnt think much of Mitchell, thought he was overrated.
  • Hadn't paid much attention to Bobby Hill and had no idea he could be this good.
  • Shrugged my shoulders and did a 'meh' when we recuited McStay.
  • Wasn't keen on bringing Ned Kelly back to the club.
:oops:

Let’s add Hoyne to that list who came on every week on SEN with stats why collingwood were no good.
the problem with hoyne is that he doesn’t understand the stats he collects, tries to use them as a crystal ball, by his model Richmond don’t win flags because they didn’t fit his model of a dominant clearance team. Footy isn’t like other sports, there’s no blueprint for how to win, there’s just so many ways, yet he sticks with his blueprint approach.

Don't forget your Jordy concerns. ;)

Knew some smartarse would pick that up.:p

Jordy was amazing on Saturday and in the PF. Simply, we dont win without him.

But he still behaved like a d*ck over a long period. Fortunately for him and us, he seems to have matured and with that he's happier and a better player. His pre-season this year, where he got much fitter, was also admirable and good on him for doing the extra work. Major contributor to our flag.

Is that enough?:mad:

But he still behaved like a d*ck over a long period. Fortunately for him and us, he seems to have matured and with that he's happier and a better player. His pre-season this year, where he got much fitter, was also admirable and good on him for doing the extra work. Major contributor to our flag.

It's enough. But a little aggrieved at being labelled "some smartarse". I like to think I am an extraordinary one.

I have expressed concerns over Cameron.

Although think there is still a ? on him.

One from left field not sure if it's been mentioned but what about the Collingwood poster in the preview thread suggesting...

That Bobby Hill switch to defence to play on Charlie Cameron! In the grand final.

I would like to add Aussie pie to this list and who I think is a very strong contender for this post which appears to have now been deleted..

View attachment 1819768
I’m not wrong, we do need a key forward, lock down defender and more speed. Look what Bobby did with his speed and Nick with fast hands and forward running. As for game plan, did you watch the first two finals? The backs didn’t push up as much and they chose the times to run and gun. It was the best of both worlds. Look at the start of the season and how often we got scored on with opponents running back free into their forward line, that improved and tightened up. Thanks for showing how right I was.

Carro always tips Richmond to finish high up on the ladder.Force of habit,I suppose.

I could never understand why so may so called experts tipped us to slide down the ladder this year.We only missed out on the grand final by one point last year,and we added no less than five recruits from other teams,including a Brownlow medalist no less.Was it just bad judgment on their part,or wishful thinking.Who knows?It was probably more of the latter given that many people are absolutely terrified of Collingwood success in general

I think there's bias. I think there are a lot of careers built on pandering, and being negative about Collingwood is the laziest way to achieve that.

I also think we have an unconventional team which fooled a lot of folks. By that I mean our spine on paper, traditionally an indicator of a strong team, looks average. Our talls are kind of battlers.

Stats also tend to favour the contested side of the game and opinions are built on it. It's less effective at picking up quality transition and economy in ball use. That's our strength. You could see this on the field but the stats fooled people. A lot of 'experts' and pundits misread us.

Wanted Marlon delisted after his first game! And the big one was that I wasn’t sold on Macrae. Proven an idiot on both counts…always happy to be wrong if it brings us success.

Also thought Lipinski should have been dropped, he played well in the grand final.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Putting my own hand sky high on Markov and Lipinski (for 2023).

I baked Markov early season because I didn’t rate his retention and his development was startling to the point of being the recruit of the year from a growth perspective. He kept Noble out late season which was 100% the right call.

The flipside is I backed Lipinski all the way and I reckon he, along with Ginnivan, were the weak links in the final month of 2023. He was ok on GF day, but in hindsight I don’t think he was ever there mentally with his shoulder. I’m expecting he bounces back in 2024 a further 6 months removed from surgery, but he’ll be squeezed out in favour of Allan if he doesn’t, IMO.

Third post of the thread was directed at me as one that put it on Mitchell and he was barely going right up to the biggest game of the year. Props for standing up, but Neale s**t the bed on GF day and I’m not one to change tack on the back of one game.

Last edited:
Putting my own hand sky high on Markov and Lipinski (for 2023).

I baked Markov early season because I didn’t rate his retention and his development was startling to the point of being the recruit of the year from a growth perspective. He kept Noble out late season which was 100% the right call.

The flipside is I backed Lipinski all the way and I reckon he, along with Ginnivan, were the weak links in the final month of 2023. He was ok on GF day, but in hindsight I don’t think he was ever there mentally with his shoulder. I’m expecting he bounces back in 2024 a further 6 months removed from surgery, but he’ll be squeezed out in favour of Allan if he doesn’t, IMO.

Third post of the thread was directed at me as one that put it on Mitchell and he was barely going right up to the biggest game of the year. Props for standing up, but Neale s**t the bed on GF day and I’m not one to change tack on the back of one game.
Mitchell's whole finals series was very good. But props to you for putting your hand up.

In that spirit, I shall reciprocate and admit that at one point in time I though Kirby wasn't a f-wit. Sorry for that.

Mitchell's whole finals series was very good. But props to you for putting your hand up.

In that spirit, I shall reciprocate and admit that at one point in time I though Kirby wasn't a f-wit. Sorry for that.
I felt he and the rest of the midfield were smoked in the QF and PF aside from JDG’s match winning performance, but it’s not one I’d argue the toss over given the context 👍

Remove this Banner Ad

Back