The young Macedonian, Will Pucovski

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet another concussion today playing for the CAXI, if it wasn't already worrying than it certainly is getting that way now. Can't imagine there will be a rush to get him back in to the shield side now.

Yet another concussion today playing for the CAXI, if it wasn't already worrying than it certainly is getting that way now. Can't imagine there will be a rush to get him back in to the shield side now.

Just flat out unlucky today. Happens. I’ve said for a while though he needs to play Shield for 12 months having no issues to be considered anyway.

Just flat out unlucky today. Happens. I’ve said for a while though he needs to play Shield for 12 months having no issues to be considered anyway.

i dunno mate i've not heard of anyone else getting knocked out after tripping over their own bat. Giving me McCartin vibes, i think the boy needs 12 months off cricket in general.

i dunno mate i've not heard of anyone else getting knocked out after tripping over their own bat. Giving me McCartin vibes, i think the boy needs 12 months off cricket in general.

Wouldn’t be against that either

Back among the runs again today.

this is the first time in a long time Australia has genuine options for its top 6. Wade made 80 odd, barring disasters or extreme form surges burns looks like the only one in the top 6 who isn’t settled

Burns defintiely under the pump.

Would not be surprised to see Harris take his game to another level with Rogers coaching him.

Pukovski just looks too good for state level, but would like to see him come in at 5 or 6 when he gets a go.

Burns defintiely under the pump.

Would not be surprised to see Harris take his game to another level with Rogers coaching him.

Pukovski just looks too good for state level, but would like to see him come in at 5 or 6 when he gets a go.

Yup

hope rogers can help out harris....still a huge talent

great to see Will score a double....its great for Australian cricket.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think we all take a breath and see how he goes for a few games here.

Opening against the might of Chad Sayers, Dan Worrall and Wes Agar is a far cry to facing some blokes called JAsprit Bumrah, Umesh Yadav &/or Ishant Sharma.
I agree, but the selectors have been keen to get him in for a while now. If not for mental health reasons, he probably would have played by now, and if he is healthy and good to go, it wouldn't surprise me if they pulled the trigger straight away. With Burns not locking away his spot and Pucovski changing to the top of the order, there is a window available there.

My general thoughts:
1) His forward defence seems competent but he definitely relies on timing, not power. When he doesn't quite time his shots well, his drives look particularly weak.

2) He only played through the off-side a number of times from what I saw of his highlights package - suggests a fairly patient player who will only punish bowling that gets into his 'shot zones', not many of them appear to be on that side (I didn't see any glorious front-foot drives in the mould of Blewett/Labu).

3) But there were plenty on the legside. He plays well off the back foot, both when cutting and pulling. His technique seems quite compact, which allows him to square drive balls that aren't particularly wide. Off the front foot, he was quick with an on-drive or wristy leg-glance or pull. The wristiness surprised me, because it immediately evoked Laxman or even Labu. What surprised me more was the back foot drive against SA - I momentarily thought that I was watching Tendulkar.

4) His leg-glances were a tad aerial at times - maybe a shrewder captain than Head (who has been awful) could have placed a catcher at short mid-wicket, or some such.

5) I never saw him use his feet to attack Pope, but I reckon he does have quick feet, because he was quick to rock back onto his back foot when he determined the ball's length, before using his sense of timing to crack the ball away.

It's hard for me to comment until I know more about:
1) His mental state
2) His running between the wickets
3) How he does against more powerful attacks (even Harris scored big and I don't want him in the side)

My general thoughts:
1) His forward defence seems competent but he definitely relies on timing, not power. When he doesn't quite time his shots well, his drives look particularly weak.

2) He only played through the off-side a number of times from what I saw of his highlights package - suggests a fairly patient player who will only punish bowling that gets into his 'shot zones', not many of them appear to be on that side (I didn't see any glorious front-foot drives in the mould of Blewett/Labu).

3) But there were plenty on the legside. He plays well off the back foot, both when cutting and pulling. His technique seems quite compact, which allows him to square drive balls that aren't particularly wide. Off the front foot, he was quick with an on-drive or wristy leg-glance or pull. The wristiness surprised me, because it immediately evoked Laxman or even Labu. What surprised me more was the back foot drive against SA - I momentarily thought that I was watching Tendulkar.

4) His leg-glances were a tad aerial at times - maybe a shrewder captain than Head (who has been awful) could have placed a catcher at short mid-wicket, or some such.

5) I never saw him use his feet to attack Pope, but I reckon he does have quick feet, because he was quick to rock back onto his back foot when he determined the ball's length, before using his sense of timing to crack the ball away.

It's hard for me to comment until I know more about:
1) His mental state
2) His running between the wickets
3) How he does against more powerful attacks (even Harris scored big and I don't want him in the side)
I've seen a fair bit of him live and on TV .

He has a simple , easy and natural technique that wouldn't require a heap of refinement .
Seen him crunch plenty of drives all over the wicket and he can go up through the gears if required.
Is a real all round the wicket player.

He is a huge talent who makes big runs when he gets in.
I would be very patient and leave him in the shield under Rogers for a year

WA 2-20 if it was so easy making runs why doesn't everyone do it.

WA 2-20 if it was so easy making runs why doesn't everyone do it.

A couple of things

Puc and Harris were quite edgy in the first 50 runs from the radio I was listening too - sometimes that's the way luck goes.
Opening after 8 hours in the field isn't that easy
Let's wait until the innings is complete.
I'd also say that WA's bowling isn't anything special - but neither is Vics.

Is it just me or is his technique in that incident very poor?

Moves across his stumps into the line of the ball, and then lowers his body to play across the line rather than standing tall and staying on top of it.

And from there it only gets worse. Look at the angle of his bat and where his hands are when he gets hit.

I haven't seen any of him in general play, so I don't know if this is a rare / freak occurrence, or if his technique against short bowling is just poor.

But for an opening batsman especially, that is not a good look.

Nothing against the young man, I hope he gets through all of this.

But if that is seriously how he plays short bowling then it is irresponsible sending him out onto a cricket pitch to face fast bowling.

Is it just me or is his technique in that incident very poor?

Moves across his stumps into the line of the ball, and then lowers his body to play across the line rather than standing tall and staying on top of it.

And from there it only gets worse. Look at the angle of his bat and where his hands are when he gets hit.

I haven't seen any of him in general play, so I don't know if this is a rare / freak occurrence, or if his technique against short bowling is just poor.

But for an opening batsman especially, that is not a good look.

Nothing against the young man, I hope he gets through all of this.

But if that is seriously how he plays short bowling then it is irresponsible sending him out onto a cricket pitch to face fast bowling.

Yeah haven't seen the other ones but there's a serious problem with either his eyes or his technique if he keeps getting hit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back