The ZLATAN files

How Offended are you that Zlatan is coming to United?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Doctor Bojan_

Premiership Player
May 20, 2016
#lolmou #DaretoZlatan or GTFO
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Referring to sozabarus post about the Everton vs Southampton shitfight in the manager thread.

500k a week is still pretty pricey in the whole scheme of things....
it's the price you pay for getting players for 'free'. They demand much higher wages to play for you. Given we spent 28m on Myki 30 mins ago, I don't think money is a problem for us right now. I mentioned yesterday, I think Mou has Woody in some kind of trance :D

Jan 13, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester, Vixens
Every time I hear of Zlatan, I just keep thinking of that scene from 'Dude's Where My Car.' It only really seemed to reach that level once he left AC Milan... same thing with Pirol, a good honest hard working player at Milan, a blooming meme after he left. What the heck.

Ah well, he's now at United. Let's see if he was really just a big fish in a small pond, or if he can do something special at United (and no, please do not continue your consecutive title winning streak here!)

ADL9798

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 18, 2009
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Posted this in early April - my thoughts on Zlatan & PSG.

Watching the replay. Thoughts so far: not for the first time over the last few years, this PSG team have given me the impression that they are lazy and do not feel that they have to work for each other to achieve success. Does this come from playing 90% of their games against largely uncompetitive opposition in Ligue 1? Without regular practice against quality opponents do they struggle to lift their standards as a result?

It's endemic from front to back and no-one epitomises this more than Zlatan. For me (and I'm sure this will be a controversial opinion) he's a brilliant and exceptionally skillful footballer, but he's overrated and has been for many years. He's been consistently listed both here and in the media as one of the top 5 players in the world over the last few years, but personally I'd struggle to find a place for him in the top dozen. He's a rich man's Balotelli - supremely talented and aesthetically great to watch, but in my opinion he doesn't work hard enough and he plays for himself which precludes him from being in that top bracket.

Time after time we've seen sides where he is the main man up front falter against the very best sides in Europe - last night marks the 4th year in a row that PSG have fallen short in the quarter finals against quality, organized opposition. In 11 attempts a side with Zlatan as the focal point has failed to progress beyond the CL quarter finals. Does that all fall on him? Probably not, but I'd say we'd probably expect the other players in that top 5 to put in a performance that drags their side deep into the Champions League knockouts at least once in their 18 year (in Zlatan's case) career.

While the list of clubs Zlatan has played for over the years is illustrious, I'd argue that Inter improved once they jettisoned him as their main man up front, and I wouldn't be surprised if PSG did the same assuming he moves onto new pastures in the summer.

I think he'll be a good and no doubt very entertaining player for United. A dangerous weapon if used off the bench, but I wouldn't be expecting him to lift them to a league title as the focal point of the side week in, week out. He's in the same bracket as Yaya for me. Supremely gifted but declining mobility with age (35 in October) and a deplorable work rate will make him a liability in a league as strong and fast paced as the EPL.

Doctor Bojan_

Premiership Player
May 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Posted this in early April - my thoughts on Zlatan & PSG.

I think he'll be a good and no doubt very entertaining player for United. A dangerous weapon if used off the bench, but I wouldn't be expecting him to lift them to a league title as the focal point of the side week in, week out. He's in the same bracket as Yaya for me. Supremely gifted but declining mobility with age (35 in October) and a deplorable work rate will make him a liability in a league as strong and fast paced as the EPL.
I'd imagine that we'll be pretty direct with Zlatan. Playing balls into him with Myki and Pele jr running on to flicks. He won't be relied on to provide defensive workrate. Zlatan has played on the best defenders in world football. I'm sure he'll have no problems with PL defenders.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doctor Bojan_

Premiership Player
May 20, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
CmSQjm6UcAQtt-U.jpg

SloaneysDanger

Brownlow Medallist
Feb 26, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Utd, Liverpool, Cavaliers
Zlatan's first interview - "I compare it with the Mayweather and Pacquiao fight. They said it would never happen, but it happened"

Lol.

Oct 5, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
West Adelaide Bloods, Man City.
Zlatan's first interview - "I compare it with the Mayweather and Pacquiao fight. They said it would never happen, but it happened"

Lol.
and everyone who saw it wished it stayed that way.

Back