thecig

Club Legend
Sep 19, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City, Bos. Celtics, Glas Celtic
Hi guys as the name suggests I'm building an arcade... Well not building, taking an already built cab, gutting it and putting a PC in it! :D:thumbsu:

I actually started this project in March 2011 just before my Uni semester started, so I've slowly been getting bits and pieces done. I thought maybe you guys would be interested in my progress and maybe it will inspire some of you to follow suit.

I'm part of the last generation (born 1986) to really experience arcade machines during the 90s (now its all consoles - ewww... gimme a giant wooden cabinet any day!)

I'm gonna be uploading my photos tonight and over the next few days.

Look forward to your comments guys.

Aims of this project:
- An arcade machine that uses the Hyperspin arcade frontend (http://www.hyperspin-fe.com)
- Here's a demo of the software: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmi4bC-30Y
NOTE THIS IS NOT A VIDEO OF MY PROJECT, BUT MY SETUP IS QUITE SIMILAR!
- Emulators/systems:
- MAME (multi arcade machine emulator)
- Atari 2600, 5200, 7800
- NES, SNES, n64, Gameboy Advance
- Sega MegaDrive, 32x, SegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast
- Playstation 1 & 2
- Neogeo, neogeo pocket
- PC games (street fighter Iv, Virtua tennis, etc)
- Control panel:
- 8 RGB LED buttons per player (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73&products_id=238)
- 1 8-way joystick per player
- 2 pinball buttons
- 1 back-lit start button per player
- 2 admin buttons (esc & pause)
- 1 x back-lit coin button each (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=295)
- Back-lit marquee (possibly Street Fighter II Turbo)

Cheers, thecig ;)

I got this for free, I can't believe it!
It was sitting in a friend of Tommy's (Cambodian bloke in the first pic) garage for like 2 years dormant.
It didn't work initially and apparently the guy who brought it there tried to fix it without success (its a share house with a heap of tenant change overs)

The day of arrival!

First pic shows my mates Tommy and Dave checking it out.

Front view:

Side View:

Before:

After:

Muaahhahahahahahaha!

All I really wanted from this cab was a working tube and a wooden shell to work with.
In the after shot you can see a large PCB screwed into the inside of the cabinet. That's a arcade monitor chassis. Essentially its the motherboard/brains of the tube.
After some communication back and forth between a member of the aussiearcade forum I ordered a new one.

And it lives!

I tested the tube with the game it came with, it was double dragon II. For some reason the image was backwards and upside-down... Not sure y...

Icanhazwindows? Yes I can...

thecig it sounds exciting ...it's an arcade machine ,but what type is it?

And also where is all this happening.

Hope it goes well - admire people who can do stuff like that

As soon as I got the PC setup it was time to test...

Hadouken!

A bit of mario 64 perhaps?

Crocodile came up... rip my guts out!:

thecig it sounds exciting ...it's an arcade machine ,but what type is it?

And also where is all this happening.

Hope it goes well - admire people who can do stuff like that

Hey Swooop,

Originally the machine was a JAMMA setup (most arcade game still use this standard)
I've ripped all that out and put a PC in it, this enables me to put different emulators for many different systems and run them all in the one place.

It is happening in my house (well my garage...), which is about 1km from your place ;)
You may have to come round soon to "test it" with it :)

The control panel assembly:

Look! I made a box!

This is a big deal for me, I'm useless with power tools :)

Button holes drilled out:

checking if it fits:

Overlay stuck onto the top of the control panel:

The player start buttons (they are back-lit when plugged in):

More to come...

As it stands (30/7/2011):

Another angle (wooo! Super Mario world ftw!)

The Test Marquee (not the final one! I made it with 4 A4 pages lulz...):

I'll post a video tonight!

Hope you enjoy.

As a fellow '86er, I heartily endorse this awesomeness.

Needs more NBA Jam & Street Fighter.

I think he has it covered (It might be Super Street Fighter II but both equally awesome).

I'd like to see some Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Altered Beast, Alex the Kid, General Chaos and Acme All Stars! Sega was a monster of a console. Focus on games and game play:thumbsu:

Also thecig awesome awesome project!!!

I think he has it covered (It might be Super Street Fighter II but both equally awesome).

I'd like to see some Sonic, Mortal Kombat, Altered Beast, Alex the Kid, General Chaos and Acme All Stars! Sega was a monster of a console. Focus on games and game play:thumbsu:

Also thecig awesome awesome project!!!

Of the 7 games I had on my megadrive u just named 4 ahaha.

Wicked console. I'm gonna do a quick recording now and i'll upload it ;)...
Stay tuned.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of the 7 games I had on my megadrive u just named 4 ahaha.

Wicked console. I'm gonna do a quick recording now and i'll upload it ;)...
Stay tuned.

What were the other three? Altered Beast and Alex the Kid often came with the console. Mega Drive had so many awesome games :heart:

I'm part of the last generation (born 1986) to really experience arcade machines during the 90s

I was born in 1985 and during the 90's my Grandfather use to take me to Timezone in Frankston to play the Arcades Games

I recently downloaded a PC version of AKIMW due to it's awesomeness, nothing like being right in the Rock, Scissors, Paper contests.

What is AKIMW Beez?
Sorry Dave, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, as the guys were discussing earlier, classic retro game.

Edit: Wait, maybe they weren't talking about it... :eek:

What were the other three? Altered Beast and Alex the Kid often came with the console. Mega Drive had so many awesome games :heart:

They were Sonic Spinball, Columns, and omg I can't remember the other 1, I know there were 7!!!! BAH!

uggghhhh I did a few awesome recordings on my iphone and copied them over to my PC and they were upside-down! :(

In the process of tryin to flip them. Unless u all want to turn ur PC monitors upside down? ;)

Ok! So turns out it was just windows media player being *ed. I opened in media player classic (what I always use) and it was fine. Uploading first video now, but its gonna take about 40 mins :(

I'll go ahead and upload some more pics I took now.

As I talked about in my aims I have installed RGB LEDs in my control panel.
These LEDs can change to 1000s of different colours and intensities using software called LEDblinky. They are plugged into a LED controller called a "LEDwiz".
LEDblinky detects what console is being run and changes the buttons to the right colours.
In MAME it actually changes depending on the game being run, it matches the original control panel form the original arcade :)

OK onto a few demos:

MegaDrive (Genesis for the US):

n64:

SNES:

NES/Master System (same colours):

Playstation:

Street Fighter II (under MAME):

Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (under MAME):
[IMG=http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/7807/img0604rx.jpg][/IMG]

EDIT: ^^ Mortal Kombat image is being s**t, just click it, it loads up.
Comments welcome.

First youtube video...
A quick walk through of the systems I have on the arcade:

[YOUTUBE]3GSadl3Wk78[/YOUTUBE]

For some reason my embedded youtube links aren't working :(

Edit: To embed your youtube videos only include the link after V= in the youtube tags. In this case 3GSadl3Wk78

Remove this Banner Ad

Back