Current Theo Hayez - Murdered Missing Byron Bay Surrounds

Possibly of the same person.

A crime scene has been set up after human remains were found at two beaches on the New South Wales Mid North Coast.

There's a discussion in here about the police not being able to access information Theo's family got from his phone data.

CCTV footage showed he was alone when he left the bar and it appeared he searched Google Maps for directions back to his hostel, Wake Up! At Belongil Beach, Ms Edwards said.

“But it appears from an analysis of Theo’s internet location data and phone records that he in fact walked in the opposite direction.

“It was a dark night with a limited moon. And it was a cold night, particularly for Byron Bay.”

Location data suggested Hayez reached Cosy Corner, and his last location was recorded by Google shortly after midnight. “Around that time and afterwards, there were messages sent in French by a person that we believe to be Theo, which suggests that he was alive and felt safe enough to send those messages at that time. It is not known where Theo went after this point or what happened to him.”

His phone had not been found but appears to have continued to operate until after 1pm on June 1 last year. “Obviously that is a matter of substantial and significant investigation in this case,” Ms Edwards said.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
CCTV footage showed he was alone when he left the bar and it appeared he searched Google Maps for directions back to his hostel, Wake Up! At Belongil Beach, Ms Edwards said.
Off-topic, but use Google Maps at your peril.

utility

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 26, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm a complete luddite when it comes to maps. A fan of the 'Melways' and often hand draw maps for places I haven't visited before.

I sometimes have minor screw-ups in foreign destinations, such as my trip to Footscray on the weekend, but I find it more reliable than tech.

bede00021

Draftee
Jun 21, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
It hasn't made the press yet but apparently the jawbone found at Umina belongs to a missing kayaker from Woy Woy in 2010, Ryan Saintly.

His family has something at least, it's very sad.

Are there any articles to confirm this? I looked for something but could not confirm it. I'm going to look up the two places (Woy Woy and Umino beach) to see the distance. Crazy that a bone like that can be found 10 years later from the water. And to be in that state? It was black. I read for it to be black it had to be in a river or something

Are there any articles to confirm this? I looked for something but could not confirm it. I'm going to look up the two places (Woy Woy and Umino beach) to see the distance. Crazy that a bone like that can be found 10 years later from the water. And to be in that state? It was black. I read for it to be black it had to be in a river or something

Not that I saw, no articles to follow up later. But I didn't see anything else either that suggested the jaw bone belonged to anybody else.

Jackson Stacker was reported missing, his body has been found in the Byron Bay area. Another one.

Police have confirmed they are investigating human remains found on the far north coast.

About 11.30am yesterday (Wednesday, 25 August), officers attached to the Tweed/Bryon Police District attended the Sleepy Hollow rest area on the Pacific Highway, Yelgun, in search of man who was reported missing earlier this week

A crime scene was established by police on farmland at Pottsville Road, Sleepy Hollow. While searching the property on Pottsville Road, police located human remains, which have been sent for forensic examination

The remains are yet to be formally identified but are believed to be that of a missing 26-year-old man.

A crime scene was established, and the area was extensively searched.

Inquiries are continuing and a report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.

It's bizarre, seems like someone else was with him. Did he end up at that rundown house?

Poor family, hopefully they will get some answers
Yeah, it seems almost inevitable the female human remains discovered six months after Theo went missing is linked.

zacz

Rookie
Sep 24, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
They said he didn’t do drugs .

You can never really 100% trust what family says as they usually try to portray their loved one in the best possible light. Plus I'm not sure the cousin that they interviewed really knew him that well since she lives in Brisbane and he lived in Belgium. I'm not saying he did do drugs just that I would take that statement by the family to be the gospel truth.

I had read somewhere that the type of phone Theo had was waterproof. If this is the case then isn't it possible that it travelled around the lighthouse via the water along the coastline rather than overland. I'm not sure how accurate the data is once the GPS was turned off.

The one thing I do believe is that Theo wasn't alone for at least part of the walk to the beach. I agree with the investigator on the show that it seems likely he met up with someone at the sports ground and they likely led him through the bush track to the beach. Whether he tried to head home on his own or was attacked after this I'm not sure - It could be either and there is really no evidence.

The tip off for the abandoned place in Nimbin could be related but since the suitcase found there belonged to another missing person named Thea it is possible that the anonymous tipper overheard someone who was involved with Thea's disappearance discussing what had happened and misheard the name thinking it was about Theo and not Thea. The cases are not necessarily related.

An anonymous tip claiming missing backpacker Theo Hayez was buried in Byron Bay bushland has led investigators to a dilapidated squatter house where they found a chilling link to a dead woman named Thea.

The anonymous message was shared to the looking4theo.com website last year.

• A private investigator has unearthed new clues in hunt for missing backpacker
  • One man claims to have known Theo was dead and buried in dense bushland
  • The Belgian's belongings were said to be in an abandoned cottage near Nimbin
  • But instead three suitcases belonging to a dead woman called Thea were found
  • Her skeletal remains were found last July near where Theo Hayes was last traced
  • The nearby beach was a known hangout for meth and heroin junkies

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
They said he didn’t do drugs .

Would he ever admit he did drugs tho?

What I don't get is how he ended up at that recreation park and stayed there for 7 minutes. On his phone he was searching for his hostel which was in the opposite direction. He meandered his way thru the back streets and if that was his intended spot, how the hell did he get there without directions ?

Is it possible that he was using a dating app or similar? People can give you their location through the app - maybe he was being directed from that?

Matty_G

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
The phone connecting to another person's wifi at the beach was interesting and something I hadn't heard of before. In the lead up to that on UI I thought most of the "experts" theorising that he met up with someone was circumstantial at best, but if the wifi thing is true there leaves little doubt he me met up with someone.

I also think he was drunker than people seem to think. For starters he was kicked out of the bar - of course that's no proof of intoxication in and of itself but it does mean he was acting in a way that a bouncer saw fit to boot him out. Also that last CCTV clip of him leaving the bar area on his phone - the experts say he was clearly sober, which I'd disagree. There was a slight appearance of side to side steps there, plus in my experience when I've been drinking you whip out your phone and look at it intently, often ignoring what's right in front of you when you are walking. And I myself have walked home in different directions to the most direct route on a whim.
Hard to gather much from that couple seconds long clip I guess.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
The phone connecting to another person's wifi at the beach was interesting and something I hadn't heard of before. In the lead up to that on UI I thought most of the "experts" theorising that he met up with someone was circumstantial at best, but if the wifi thing is true there leaves little doubt he me met up with someone.

I also think he was drunker than people seem to think. For starters he was kicked out of the bar - of course that's no proof of intoxication in and of itself but it does mean he was acting in a way that a bouncer saw fit to boot him out. Also that last CCTV clip of him leaving the bar area on his phone - the experts say he was clearly sober, which I'd disagree. There was a slight appearance of side to side steps there, plus in my experience when I've been drinking you whip out your phone and look at it intently, often ignoring what's right in front of you when you are walking. And I myself have walked home in different directions to the most direct route on a whim.

Yeah I didn't agree with them when they said he looked sober and had a purposeful stride or whatever. You can see clearly he is walking on the footpath and then sways into the dirt beside it. Looking straight at his phone could also be an indicator he was on tinder or the like and that's where he got his directions from.

DT_35

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 14, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Denver, Liverpool

100% he wasn’t completely sober, which was my first thought too. The part where they said someone was tracking him as soon as he left the bar was very interesting..

Jackson Stacker's family.

JacksonStacker.png

Back