Fixture There may be hope, yet. POTENTIAL fixture rejig - Brisbane Lions @Optus, Round 22.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hell Yeoh

Senior List
Jun 19, 2020
AFL Club
West Coast
Potential fixture reshuffle:
  • Brisbane R22 @Optus
  • Derby R23 Please let this materialise.

Luck on our side, for once?... Yes please.

Not that it means we'll win if this happens, but far better chance to beat Lions @ Optus than at the no-hope-Gabba. And even in our dire state, should finals be at Optus, wouldn't count us out (entirely)(hopefully).

It’d make sense for Brisbane if they can’t play at the Gabba in either round 22 or 23, since they’ll be here for this week’s game against Freo (and they’re probably already here quarantining). But I think the knock-on effect on other fixtures is too great, unless the AFL wants to change matchups which they’ve avoided to this point.

If we play the derby in Round 23 then Freo’s game against St Kilda would need to be shifted to round 22.
- then St Kilda’s game against Geelong in that round would need to be shifted to round 23
- then Geelong’s game against Melbourne that week would need to come forward a week;
-then Melbourne’s game with Adelaide would need to be pushed back
- then Adelaide’s game with North would come forward
- then North’s game with Sydney would be pushed back
- then Sydney’s game with the Suns would be brought forward
- then the Suns game with Essendon would be pushed back
- then Essendon’s game with Collingwood would be brought forward
- then Collingwood’s game with Brisbane would be pushed back to round 23. Which works since they’re no longer playing us that weekend.

That’s two-thirds of the games in those weekends that would need to be flipped. I think the detriment outweighs the benefit unfortunately.

It’d make sense for Brisbane if they can’t play at the Gabba in either round 22 or 23, since they’ll be here for this week’s game against Freo (and they’re probably already here quarantining). But I think the knock-on effect on other fixtures is too great, unless the AFL wants to change matchups which they’ve avoided to this point.

If we play the derby in Round 23 then Freo’s game against St Kilda would need to be shifted to round 22.
- then St Kilda’s game against Geelong in that round would need to be shifted to round 23
- then Geelong’s game against Melbourne that week would need to come forward a week;
- then Collingwood’s game with Brisbane would be pushed back to round 23. Which works since they’re no longer playing us that weekend.

That’s two-thirds of the games in those weekends that would need to be flipped. I think the detriment outweighs the benefit unfortunately.
I think the main thinking was that they play us since they're here already for Freo. But yeah... too many moving parts to be feasible.

Appreciate your ‘homework’ - the need for the number of changes could be somewhat mitigated by using the pre-finals bye week to finish the season, particularly where teams are not involved in finals.

Pretty unlikely the AFL would consider scheduling an extra Perth game for us, highly unlikely actually.

Doesn’t matter anyway, this group is cooked and needed the season to end at the bye.

They could relocate it to a football field sized iron lung and half our blokes still wouldn't work hard enough to win a game of footy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back