There really should be an 'equivalent send off' rule

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 21, 2007
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
It didn't impact the match today, but the Swans were two down for the majority of the match due to an illegal sling tackle from Rioli on O'Riordan and a late hit from I believe Vardy on Thurlow. O'Riordan was concussed and didn't play the last three quarters, and Thurlow came back on for a couple of minutes but then stayed off the whole second half with a possible broken jaw.

Now, neither of these actions were atrocious in the grand scheme of things, but they were both illegal actions that rendered the Swans two players down.

The AFL is talking about bringing in a 'bunker' type thing for the goal reviews - could they not also responsible for looking at these kind of incidents?

It wouldn't be a straight send off - if the injured player was assessed and came back on, the offending player could come back on also.

I guess the coaches could exploit this (surprise, surprise) in a situation where a gun took out a scrub or something, but I imagine it would be pretty rare and you could put some controls in place.

Thoughts?

I’m sorry, neither were incidents as the same tackle Rioli laid happened another 40 times and the player got up. He will get a week under this atrocious new interpretation but it was just a tackle. Did he sling him, yep probably at the end but so what that’s how you are supposed to tackle in my view.
The Vardy one was just a late bump, you got a free kick and kicked a goal. Another nothing incident in Aussie Rules but it seems an incident in the Auskick Football League.

I’m sorry, neither were incidents as the same tackle Rioli laid happened another 40 times and the player got up. He will get a week under this atrocious new interpretation but it was just a tackle. Did he sling him, yep probably at the end but so what that’s how you are supposed to tackle in my view.
The Vardy one was just a late bump, you got a free kick and kicked a goal. Another nothing incident in Aussie Rules but it seems an incident in the Auskick Football League.
The Sydney player could have put his hands out at any time to break his fall but chose to keep holding onto the ball so he didn't give a free away. I agree on suspending players who pin the arms and sling, but it's pretty harsh when the player being tackled does nothing to help themselves.

Totally understand your point of view, but you just know the AFL would completely make a complete balls up of it.

Yeah and that's the major problem really. I agree there's very little hope of the AFL implementing it correctly. The fact that the player only stays off as long as the injured player negates how much they can screw it up.

The game already has enough truly incidental illegal contacts that giving umpires the discretion to what warrants being sent off would turn the afl into a **** show, if it isnt already with officiating.

If it was up to the umpires it would be a farce, for sure. That's why you give it to the video review team who have the advantage of not making a split second decision.

Wont happen. Look at the Jack Martin report. The umpires officiating that would've sent him off, if there was a rule, when it's hardly a free kick..

I don't mind the idea. But I think it should be reserved for clear cut incidences like the Gaff punch.

Otherwise people will get sent off for things that are basically just bad luck.

It didn't impact the match today, but the Swans were two down for the majority of the match due to an illegal sling tackle from Rioli on O'Riordan and a late hit from I believe Vardy on Thurlow. O'Riordan was concussed and didn't play the last three quarters, and Thurlow came back on for a couple of minutes but then stayed off the whole second half with a possible broken jaw.

Now, neither of these actions were atrocious in the grand scheme of things, but they were both illegal actions that rendered the Swans two players down.

The AFL is talking about bringing in a 'bunker' type thing for the goal reviews - could they not also responsible for looking at these kind of incidents?

It wouldn't be a straight send off - if the injured player was assessed and came back on, the offending player could come back on also.

I guess the coaches could exploit this (surprise, surprise) in a situation where a gun took out a scrub or something, but I imagine it would be pretty rare and you could put some controls in place.

Thoughts?

If you sent any player off for those football acts most games would end up with 15 players a side left.

The AFL cant get the score review system to work, how do you think a send off rule will pan out.

Stupid thread. You won, outplayed the Eagles in every facet of the game. Take your win and go have a beer.

Thoughts?

No I disagree , no send off, for any situation, in our game too many players too many chances and both clubs know the risks, if you lose a player through anything it cuts your chances, but that is simply tough luck!

Send off will not work in our game, the whole structure of plans goes out the window, and the way the stupid AFL acts today you could wind up with half the people off the ground.

This old chestnut. I don't mind the send-off rule for non-football acts i.e. Gaff's hit, Barry Hall's hit, off-the ball acts etc.

But for bad "in-play" incidents (sling tackles, late bumps, high bumps etc. maybe have a sin-bin rule like in Union/League (5 or 10 minutes off the ground). Usually a free kick would be sufficient enough though imo

People will complain that if there was a send off rule, the umps would stuff it up but they stuff up things as it is - we are all human. Don't see how we could make the game any worse by creating an extra deterrent for big hits and general thuggery.

This old chestnut. I don't mind the send-off rule for non-football acts i.e. Gaff's hit, Barry Hall's hit, off-the ball acts etc.

But for bad "in-play" incidents (sling tackles, late bumps, high bumps etc. maybe have a sin-bin rule like in Union/League (5 or 10 minutes off the ground). Usually a free kick would be sufficient enough though imo

People will complain that if there was a send off rule, the umps would stuff it up but they stuff up things as it is - we are all human. Don't see how we could make the game any worse by creating an extra deterrent for big hits and general thuggery.
An extra deterrent for an incident that was an accident and caused a player to miss out on a premiership and an incident which happened a decade ago.

Yeah we really need to add a deterrent for those 2 incidents.

The game already has enough truly incidental illegal contacts that giving umpires the discretion to what warrants being sent off would turn the afl into a **** show, if it isnt already with officiating.

100% agree. Do we really need another discretionary power of such magnitude given to the umpire? If the AFL is concerned about the “bald flog” call, imagine the umpire giving a player a send-off

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah and that's the major problem really. I agree there's very little hope of the AFL implementing it correctly. The fact that the player only stays off as long as the injured player negates how much they can screw it up.

If it was up to the umpires it would be a farce, for sure. That's why you give it to the video review team who have the advantage of not making a split second decision.
The same video review team that can't tell if a ball crosses a line? FMD every game would end up 12 v 13

If they did introduce a send off rule I think basing it off the other player is definitely the right way of going about it.

That way the duration is based on the seriousness of the injury, not just how bad someone thinks it looks.

If they did introduce a send off rule I think basing it off the other player is definitely the right way of going about it.

That way the duration is based on the seriousness of the injury, not just how bad someone thinks it looks.
so buddy franklin tackles an average player heavily, both go off the ground, average player says he is right to go after 2 mins on bench but team doctor sys no we wont take any chances with you out for the game. yeah this rule wouldn't get exploited much:smirk:

so buddy franklin tackles an average player heavily, both go off the ground, average player says he is right to go after 2 mins on bench but team doctor sys no we wont take any chances with you out for the game. yeah this rule wouldn't get exploited much:smirk:

Just because a player gets injured or taken off that doesn't mean buddy automatically gets "sent off" under the rule.

The umpire has to think it's serious / reportable enough to require sending the player off. I'd say the rule would only occur 1-2 times per year.

If it ends up being less serious, then the offending player can come back on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back